What Are Opethians Really Like?

MetalManCPA

Papa Opeth
May 19, 2001
Visit site
I read the various postings on this message board, and it seems to me that people who are drawn to Opeth are somehow all in the same place.
The thoughts are deep, the passion is glaring.

So, what am I like?

I'm a husband, a parent, a decently hard worker (though never a workaholic), and am totally into listening to music, most of which is metal. I always seem to be looking for something when I listen to music, and it seems I've come pretty close with Opeth.

I remember when I used to listen to music and just hear the fun sounds. I call Coal Chamber fun music because of the repetitive beats that you can just jump around to, but that's it. I am 100% grateful that I've changed that way of hearing music.

I think Dream Theater was the first band I really listened to. My b/f said to me, "Listen to that. Just listen to the drums. Now listen to the bass and only that." I was pretty amazed at what I was hearing that I never did it before. Dumb, I know. But, now when I hear new music, I know what I want to hear. (Flashing back to the first time I gave Opeth a listen...woe! They were really good...right away in my book...really fast!)

~Lynn

I'm basically a quiet, introverted, loner. I usually keep to myself and mostly stay in my little apartment. I seem to be drawn to darker/weird types of stuff like Giger, Beksinski, Verotika, David Lynch, etc....

Like alot of others on this board I am a musician. I grew up playing guitar and drums and later in college got into MIDI/synth programming.

Lately, I've been spending alot of my evenings playing chess with my computer and studying moves from old chess games of the masters.

I love that word Opethians. It's got a nice ring to it.

I am a student very dedicated to getting good grades and hopefully making something of myself in life.

I mostly like soft slow music that just relaxes me but when i'm really happy I will put in The Crown or something of that nature.

I play a lot of strategy games and RPG's

I also love the outdoors although I never get out that much unless I go west or east because I live in a desert and it's about 95 out right now (way to hot for me to be outside to long).

I'm a bit of a wolf in sheep's clothing. I can go out into public and interact with "normal" people and pretend to fit in and be all normal, all the time analyzing the society around me and how much of it I detest and stand apart from.

I do require social interaction as a basic need, but then will spend days at a time off alone, out in obscure woods taking pictures, on the computer late at night working, and sleeping all day... just shut off from the world around me.

I was, at one point, very easily influenced. I've said before that, given the right influences at the right developmental stage, I could be a staunch christian white homie rapper guy right now. That's a very disconcerting thought to live with. I think I've always felt more intelligent than those around me, but was quickly humbled and quick to accept that the other person (provided they sounded like they had any clue what they were talking about) was right (this is changing). I've also attempted to become increasingly self-aware over the past couple years, and came to fully realize what a naive existence I led and how much I detested that. I was raised in a very sheltered, nonartistic environment and have been working against that most of my life. As a result, I've always been seeking strong, independant people who possess the qualities I admire and been basically stealing aspects of their identities to fabricate one of my own. And, if you've noticed, I can easily get thoroughly self-important and ramble half-baked neurotic diatribes.

Finally, all of this is theory. I'm a pretty big enigma to myself and often question my own thoughts. I cover it up nicely with a strong sense of humour and a confident outward appearance, though. (This comes off as more melodramatic than it needs to be though - I am truely pretty self-confident most of the time).

I think most "Opethians" are linked by the simple fact that they occasionally have, or even simply are able to digest, these types of thoughts that go right over the heads of a lot of people. Deep artistic self-questioning multi-faceted people listen to deep artistic almost schizophrenic music.

What am I like? I am both a very loving and a very hateful person. I hate 99.9% of all that exists. My love, however, seems to exceed my hatred. My love for my girlfriend exceeds my hatred of everything combined. I am fascinated with night and darkness. I enjoy being around nature after nightfall. There is so much beauty in darkness. I detest the idea of "the light" and all of the christian ideals and how they avoid darkness alltogether. I feel the the dark forces in life are the most beautiful, the most wonderful, the most powerful, and the most satisfying forces in life. I like my music very dark and extreme.

>I love that word Opethians. It's
>got a nice ring to it.

Does that makes us citizens of the City of the Moon?

Hey HoserHellspawn,
The depth of our thinking and the inability of most to grasp our words true meaning is right on point. In the artistic world of music, very very few bands can draw that type of person to them. Obviously, Opeth has done that to me. (had to mention Opeth since we are on an Opeth message board).
I believe that my thoughts are clearer than most, and that I can see through the "acts" most people put on. I still enjoy interacting with other people, not just for the social aspect, but more as a test of my ability to understand each person I come in contact with, and adhere myself to that persons mindset.

I'm an introvert and a thinker.
An idealist and a dreamer.
A romantic poet.
I like to quietly observe other people.
I rather listen than talk.
And I gladly hide away from the rest of the world with my music and my thoughts...

I too find some tranquility in darkness
I am a dreamer/thinker, i dream of futuristic inventions and people and my ideas are wacky and strange. I am a good listener, and i love music that moves me in some way. That's why i like Opeth. Not many bands can make my spine tingle anymore.

By the way, im new here - hello everyone :)

I too am a husband and a parent. I've always been fairly introverted, preferring to be alone or with a small group of people close to me. Music is my life. I'm also intelligent, loving, and hateful at the same time. I've always been attracted to the darker side of things such as lyrics in metal music and horror/fantasy books and movies. Above all, I am proudest when I feel apart from what is popular. Being something, liking something, promoting something just because "it's cool" is what I look down upon the most in life.

www.mp3.com/soulforlorn

Hmmm. I'm quiet, introverted I guess, but not around everyone. Dedicated stoodent like winter-frost says he/she is. I'm one of those people who others have a hard time believing what music I like. I wear pretty normal clothes I suppose. That might be why people think that...

I just wanted to point out the kinship I feel with the people here when I read what they write. All that stuff about seeing beauty in darkness and such, it's me exactly. There are a lot of idiots out there who love darkness as well, but not in that poetic, spiritual, and romantic way that we do. I'm sure Mikael (aka god) himself could relate to this as well.

I am a freak, existentialist, atheist, spiritualist, and the eye of the storm. I live in the moment and draw death with every breath and push life with every exhalation. I have conflicting emotions which amuse and taunt me and I feel forever on the edge of an incredibly significant and profound discovery which I know will never come. This makes me forever anticipate without relief and I relish in the anguish it serves. There's something beyond profound on the tip of my tongue at all times but it never comes. My mind spins in circles with thoughts I've taught myself to disregard cuz I feel perspective is subjective and the less of myself there is in my thoughts the closer I am to direct experience without bias and inherent subjectivity. I crave the end of social dividers like race, religion, and politics. I'm extremely anti-christian and anti-muslim and I don't care if I step on anyone's toes, I'm also anti-nazi and to me it's all the same shit. Social injustice sends me into a murderous rage. I love life and I anticipate death. I believe that the more you know and the more you think, the further you are from understanding ultimate reality. I believe that consciousness is the barrier against true understanding. I believe that death of our sense of self is the ticket to ultimate freedom and happiness beyond the reach joy/sorrow.

If any of the guys in Opeth have read the stuff written here they must've shit their pants to know that they are the inspiration for it all. Opeth are the purest form of high art and the ultimate in freedom of expression.

I think the people here have a lot in common, and I find this very cool. If I was stinking rich I'd throw a big party and send you all plane tickets just to have a chance to meet you all, as I'm sure that when I look into some of your eyes I'd see myself staring back.

Form is emptiness, emptiness is form.

Satori

I agree that most "opethians" are alike in some form or another. i am a person with this head that is about to explode because stream-of-consciousness just engulfs my being. i analyze everything to its deep down worth. i love darkness in nature because i find it the most beautiful...the pale moon taunting existence and so quickly hides and the ugly sun takes over. i do like the day to some extent....but mainly just the utter beauty of clouds..... some friends think of me as a satanist now because i am broadening my horizons in music (all around metal) but i cant help but wonder why people are so quick to judge. i am just a 17 year old girl with the "carpe diem" theory ringing through me at all times...no restrictions in life.,...just live....well, now my boring rambling will come to a hault...=)

In the rain my tears are forever lost

I can't help smiling when I read this thread and think of all the great people in here. :)

I can relate to almost everything that's been written, but especially what Hoser wrote made me think "hey, is he writing of me?" :D

I'm not talkative; I rather listen to others than join the conversation. I also consider myself quite sympathetic and thoughtful.

I have much feedback to give, so hold on tight.

Protocol, where I put "Proud Opethian" to the left there, I was originally planning on putting "Official Citizen of the City of the Moon", but it was too many characters. I will use that elsewhere, though. Nice.

metalmancpa, the ability to adhere yourself to the mindset of another is a rare feat... few people know what it's like to take a perspective OTHER than their own and fewer people care. You, my fellow Opethian, are a rare, openminded breed.

Korteum, welcome.

Soul Forlorn, I can't agree more. People who promote things simply because they're "cool" are misfortunate, but to be expected. Herd Mentality is, well.... I'll quote Erik from Ulver on this one.

"Christianity is but one expression of herd mentality, and to battle against it is like battling against the nature of society. For as long as human societies exist, there will always be a division between the unconscious masses and conscious individuals. The Christian religion may wither and die, but only to be replaced by another philosophy glorifying the qualities of the herd. It lies not in the nature of the herd to live according to elitist ideals - their nature is to be the cogwheels in the machinery of society, and the fact that they follow a philosophy which glorifies this quality is nauseating to the heretic, but still necessary for society to function.
- taken from "Lords of Chaos"

Kem, yeah, that sounds familiar.

Satori, nice post! I'm going to start quoting you on a regular basis if you're not careful...
I look forward to the day when one of us is able to throw this party you speak of. It will be a glorious day...

JeN - Carpe Diem Baby! (...which is the name of a really bad Metallica song, heh.) Rambling yes, boring, no. Ramblings are good. Ramblings are healthy. Ramblings are fun. Write more, I enjoy them. Analyze everything and never let the stream stop. I can say already that you have a higher level of consciousness than any 17-year-old girl I know. Unfortunately... (well, fortunately for you, unfortunately for me. Heh.)

Orchid, my Finnish kindred spirit. Do you by any chance ever get odd cravings for Eggs Benedict?

BurzumBeast, 'tis.
And, as a side note - you're an interesting character. One of the few of us whose held this appreciation and some other ideals in the face of adversity... I cannot help but to notice that you seem to come off as the human personification of darkness ALL of the time... most people here are a cross-breed of influences, feelings and ideals... you seem very much the extremist.

"I never tempt fate. I mock it openly."
- Me

Originally posted by HoserHellspawn
Orchid, my Finnish kindred spirit. Do you by any chance ever get odd cravings for Eggs Benedict?

LOL, not particularly. :p
Do you by any chance ever get the odd sensation that people don't know what you're talking about? :D