Calling all Opethians..I need your help!

May 21, 2007
So, for my guitar class i have to pick a band, do a presentation and then play a couple songs from that group, Obviously i'm doing opeth. Now every one in the class are posers, none of them have any real interest in being there, my guess is that they thought the idea of guitar was cool until they found out it wasnt all about cock rock lead solos and nonsense. Anyway, my guitar teacher is a self-proclaimed "60's wild child", even though i can tell he was more than likely a blue-collar stiff of his time who now claims to have "been there" because of the impact that we now recognize it as having on history, whatever the case,- this guy's musical pallete ends with eric clapton, in other words if clapton didnt do it, it's shit. So i'm puttin faith in opeth and hoping that i can give this poor poor soul just a glimpse of what it's actually all about. I've got about 10 minutes to present music, so i've been carefully trying to come up with the list of songs that will nicely represent opeth in all it's glory and change this joker's opinions on what's good music forever!!!

SO LET ME HAVE IT, I HAVE ABOUT 10 MINUTES; KEEP IN MIND A FULL 11 MINUTE BRUTAL SONG IS NOT REALLY THE WAY TO GO HERE, YOU HAVE TO GET THE MELLOW IN THERE AS WELL SO, ----WHAT SONGS WOULD YOU PLAY FOR MY GUITAR TEACHER AS FAIR REPRESENTATION OF THE GREAT OPETH....

P.s. This is a jazz/blues guy were talkin about..

~ Some of my ideas..

Credence
hours of wealth
a fair judgement
harvest
the drapery falls
patterns in the ivy II
baying of the hounds
windowpane*

If I were you, id do 1 minute demonstrations of the sickest riffs from:

A Fair Judgement Outro (guarantee your class will crap their pants) into

Moonlapse Vertigo START to 1:50 in that song

so we are at 2 mins 50 seconds

transition to patterns in the ivy 2, play it in full and then do harvest, few sections off of windowpane...

but if you ask me if they dont like anything else but eric clapton then they never will anyway

trying to change someone's close-mindedness when it comes to music is nearly impossible, and in my opinion they don't deserve to like Opeth anyway.

WOW I'm glad i'm not the only one here who can admit that theres certain people out here that just don't get it and thus should stay the fuck away from it, and stick to your fuckin shit metal that mtv feeds you. Thank you jester-race. As far as the songs i don't have any software (unless you can tell me how to do it) to edit these songs to there specific times-because otherwise it would take too long to set up each song and fast forward and so on..

~ and regarding your suggestion of "a fair judgement", i think the ending is too plain for them, i mean it's a great section to opeth fans because were used to technicality and unusually shaped riffs and all so its nice to have a simple/yet dark and heavy riff like the one at the end of AFJ , although the morons in my class may just think "oh this is it.." PLUS keep in mind i really want to do this for my teachers sake, and i'm telling you all who will read this that this guy after every song the class plays for him does the same shpeel, -He goes " you guys don't know what it's all about,..clapton clapton...the bands you guys listen to just know power chords, that was uh..A, G, E, A... THAT'S ALL IT IS.."

I WANT TO SEE THIS GUY STRUGGLE TO FIGURE OUT WHAT THEIR PLAYING AT ANY GIVEN MOMENT

I LIKE AFJ BECAUSE OF IT'S SLOW ALMOST JAZZY-LIKE BEGINNING AND THEN THE HEAVY PARTS THEN THE SOLOS AND OF COURSE THAT DELICIOUS LITTLE 'CLASSICAL' SOUNDING BIT BEFORE THE SOLOS. I'M WORRIED THAT I CANNOT SUM UP OPETH IN A MERE 10 MINUTES, I WISH I COULD BARACADE THE CLASS IN THE ROOM FOR A DAY AND FORCE THEM TO LISTEN TO THE COMPLETE CATALOG.

ok...I said this same thing in the other thread: why give a shit about what some other people think so much (at least this extent)? Especially your teacher ffs. You say certain people should "just stay the fuck away from it," yet you want to force feed Opeth riffs to them? Also, if this guy really like blues/jazz like you said and is at least a decent teacher, he's not gonna be blown away by the "complexity" of Opeth. Come on, let's be honest, Opeth isn't as complicated as jazz and shit like that. Plus, if you try to make some medley of Opeth riffs, it'll sound worse than Black Rose Immortal...different keys, tempos, and time signatures all condensed into 10 minutes...

Edit: I realize this sounds very critical...I still think you should do it, but put a lot of consideration in what riffs you do so that they go well together. For example, Patterns in the Ivy 2 uses a capo; think of how you'll transition and stuff like that so that it will at least be somewhat palatable for your classmates.

That first heavy riff in GoP would be cool, but you'd have to commit to the Dmadd9 tuning. The Opeth sound can be hard to capture with just one guitar, so I'd stick to the iconic riffs and acoustic breaks. Stay away from songs like Master's Apprentices and The Grand Conjuration. Maybe take some ideas from the "special chills" thread.

PS. I fucking hate Clapton, and would probably not take lessons from a DB like that.

The drapery falls. It's a nice mix of mellow / heavy and a good intro to people new to opeth.
Or maybe some parts of face of melinda.
Main riff of A fair judgement.
First 3.40 of bleak.

How about baying of the hounds excerpt then something from camel like ice or lawrence then something from a good folk act or some miles davis and something from clapped out, with the point that without these people before opeth wouldnt be how they are now and without the delta blues and country we and the beetles we would have no claptout or modern music

AFJ or Drapery Falls

It's hard to pick, but both of those songs contain nice mellow and heavy parts. AFJ has no death vox, so you might want to consider that. Plus the solos are just surreal. Idk, whatever you feel.

well, it depends whether your showcasing the band or the guitarists.

if your trying to show the band, pick some complex stuff, for instance deliverance for its unique timing or baying of the hounds for its technicality. The Drapery Falls seems to be one of their best examples of their unique song structure and experimentation in my opinion. face of melinda is quite unique imo, and i say that song is debatable.

for the guitars, i'd show him something like either windowpane, or hours of wealth for the lead guitar and the bluesiness, as he is a clapton fan. if he has respect for dual harmony then I'd show him possibly the beginning of To Bid You Farewell or parts of black rose immortal, deff credence, or maybe parts of in the mist.