Personality Test

I just took a paper version of this test in my Education in a Multicultural Society class today, and I got the same result (ISTJ). Now I have to write a short paper in reflection of that score and imagining a scenario where I meet someone with the exact opposite personality type.

This class should be interesting, since the main focus is basically learning how to teach without discriminating against fags and nig-nogs.

Our lives are filled with coincidences, almost to the point where the theme gives an illusion of fate. When I walked into my first session of EDB 202 I had no idea I was about to take a personality test similar to that I had taken a week earlier, when a friend of mine posted an online test in a thread on an internet forum. Although the questions were somewhat different, both tests yielded the same score, that of the Introverted Sensing Thinking Judging (ISTJ). So when given this assignment, I had the benefit of some extra time to dwell on such a categorized assessment of my own personality.

Indeed, accepting the moniker of “The Duty Fulfiller” seemed a hard pill to swallow, but such humility turns out to be characteristic of an ISTJ. I do not take pride in my accomplishments because, as the website states, I feel that I am simply fulfilling obligations. I suppose that is right on the button for me, since I do tend to take my productivity for granted, but perhaps the same when judging others. The ISTJ is prone to overloading him or herself with work. That does sound like me: I had originally signed up for twenty credit hours this semester, but was forced to postpone the annoying mathematics requirement. However that does not makes things much easier, as the remainder of my spring courses are all reading and writing-intensive, as opposed to the luxury of last semester’s lecture-lecture-lecture-test format.

The descriptions for the ISTJ hit the targets almost everywhere when applied to myself, especially in regards to structured living. Indeed, I almost obsess over creating a fixed order to my daily routine. I wake up, eat, leave for class and go to sleep at precise times during the day, for fear that a breach of this order would, by Chaos Theory, cause profound disruptions. As for structure set beyond my control, I do have a tendency to conform to what I can grasp. I feel a lacking when I am assigned a paper and I am uninformed of either the minimum length or exact due date. In fact, the very paper I am writing is a product of this worry, since I was not told what time on Thursday this assignment was to be submitted by! This leads to my only significant divergence with the ISTJ profile. I am a procrastinator. Knowing precise due dates allows me to calculate the latest time I will be able to effectively complete an assignment (I’m writing this at 7:00 on Thursday morning). So far this risky practice has not yielded negative results, but it is bound to someday bite me square in the rear.

Accordingly, my “shadow type” is the Extraverted Intuitive Feeling Perceiving (ENFP). Naturally I assumed this type of person to be one that I could not stand living or working with, as our perceptions and values, in practice, would often conflict. In reading the description, there is still such a potential, particularly in the evaluation of tasks and the weighing of duty over values. The description lists several positives that I do admire (and perhaps envy), especially the strength of social skills, which can translate to high capacities for empathy and public speaking, the latter of which I wish to better develop as a future educator.

However, this description fails to gain my absolute approval of the ENFP category. It seems that these personalities, while potentially very positive, are far too volatile and require too much in order to maintain this type’s positive fulfillment. While the ISTJ profile painted an almost immaculate picture of what to me seemed close to an ideal personality (I confess this bias). Whereas almost half the ENFP description is a laundry list of pitfalls into which people with this personality can become socially disliked, manipulative, and failures at being task-oriented. It appears that their values govern their lives to the point that even everyday obligations may be ignored and incongruence with the structures of certain institutions may cause problems. In no way do I condemn anyone who fits this description. I just feel that there exist too many negative roads off this seemingly directionless path to life.

It seems difficult not only imagining how to live with my shadow type, but also how to make any personal connections. The scenario I often picture is having an ENFP as a roommate. While my side of the room is neat and organized, his side is often a complete mess. I would disapprove of this, but be reserved enough not to voice my complaint. As an introvert I may choose rather to distance myself from such trivial matters rather than voice a complaint, for fear of creating animosity. Negative relationships can disrupt the perfectionist’s way of life, so they are avoided at all costs, even if it means having no relationship at all. Another difficulty between us may be in doing activities together. While I may plan something a week in advance and intend to stick to that plan, my shadow type may rather rely on his whims rather than a schedule, and I often cannot agree with such impulsivity. While I have friends who join me at the dining hall every night for dinner at precisely 5:30, my shadow type may often not join us since he would rather eat when he feels like, or perhaps he is busy with something he values as more important and he will not let something so mundane as a structured lifestyle to impeded upon it. While it may be hard for me to connect, my shadow type would have an easier time connecting with me, by means of his people skills. In conclusion, it is my belief that personalities are malleable. Thus it is possible to for two opposite personality types to harmonize by shifting towards more common ground from the initial extremes. An ISTJ paired with an ENFP seems an awfully odd couple, but just because a psychological institution says that they are polar opposites, it does not mean that they cannot successfully bond.

Is anyone else an INTP???

I feel so alone...I better go be introverted.
I am.

Your Type is
INTP
Introverted Intuitive Thinking Perceiving
Strength of the preferences %
Introverted.....Intuitive.....Thinking........Perceiving
67................38........... 12............... 56

You are:

* distinctively expressed introvert
* moderately expressed intuitive personality
* slightly expressed thinking personality
* moderately expressed perceiving personality

ESFJ
Extraverted Sensing Feeling Judging
Strength of the preferences %
6 12 12 44
You are:

* slightly expressed extravert
* slightly expressed sensing personality
* slightly expressed feeling personality
* moderately expressed judging personality
Though I can go either way with the Introverted and Extroverted stuff, I'm about 50/50 split on that, it's fun to go out and have fun but also fun to stay in, I have no problems at all speaking in a social setting and it can be enjoying, I've just never been extroverted about approaching girls and things like that, I'm a very friendly person though. I just don't have many friends at all at college, practically no one to hang out with, I still hang out with my friends from high school though.

Good essay Zeph. That really does sound like you.

Thanks.

In class today we split up into groups according to certain aspects of our personality types. All the Introverts and Extraverts got together in separate groups to plan a party. The differences in planning were pretty clear.

Next we separated the Thinkers and Feelers. Our task was to plan a disciplinary system for a high school. My thinkers group focused more on punishment and keeping to standards while the Feelers groups were more for a social intervention and relationship-based approach.