Philosophy- Discuss Here

yeah, I see what you are saying. we actually had this discussion in my class on Thursday. But then the topic of brain vs. soul came up. Our brains have the ability to absorb facts and rationalize so we reach certain knowledge. But then it was brought up that our souls are the ones that have this innate wisdom to begin with. And the soul only uses the body as a vessel anyway. Without a soul, we would not be alive. sorry, I think I'm kind of going off on a tangent here, but basically our souls are what have this knowledge that we must recollect when we "learn" something. Our brains are just utilized to rationalize this knowledge that we always had. This is according to Socrates anyway.

Though, I definitely see where you're coming from. I thought the same before, but I'm a bit conflicted right now (given that the soul even exists).

PROVE to me, beyond a -shadow- of a doubt that a soul even exists. that's right, you can't. blind faith is where knowledge and rationality cease to exist

Seriously though, please stop it you two. I don't care who started it, you are both important people here and I don't want any of you banned (from heaven?) :lol:.

Mystique, if you want me to delete the previous posts, just tell me.
lol, nah, it's ok. but let's just end it there.

PROVE to me, beyond a -shadow- of a doubt that a soul even exists. that's right, you can't. blind faith is where knowledge and rationality cease to exist

Yeah, what Altitudes said: I don't believe in a soul. We were only discussing Socrates' views.

no, actually she said she was conflicted.

That's true, I did say that. But really, I was debating whether or not that would be the case given that the soul even exists. So if I were to pretend that I believe in a soul, how would I feel on this matter. But since I don't really have any belief, what I said in my previous post still holds.

That's true, I did say that. But really, I was debating whether or not that would be the case given that the soul even exists. So if I were to pretend that I believe in a soul, how would I feel on this matter. But since I don't really have any belief, what I said in my previous post still holds.

if you don't have a solid belief either way, then there is obviously some part of you that believes in truths inherent to both (because i doubt you're the kind of ignorant person who wouldn't have even bothered with thinking about it in the first place).

Did someone say... SOUL??!

jb3.jpg

if you don't have a solid belief either way, then there is obviously some part of you that believes in truths inherent to both (because i doubt you're the kind of ignorant person who wouldn't have even bothered with thinking about it in the first place).

I think you're still misunderstanding.... I do not believe in the existence of a soul. I do not have any beliefs period.

But for the sake of philosophy and for the sake of understanding, I was just looking at it from Socrates' point of view.

We can't see the air we breathe. Does that mean it's not there?

We can't see radio waves, does that mean they don't exist?

I seriously DON'T understand. Isn't that "Soul" just a sort of concept?

What's your definition of "soul"? It would be better to understand.

I think both Mystique and Shredtastical don't talk about the same definition. That's why I agree with both.
In Mystique definition, the soul is just who we are (our essence). It's something beyond rationality. But it evolves and is fed with our experiences... It's the "true" us.
In Shredtastical, the soul is what some people considere immortal in a way they believe in an after life. When we die, our body means nothing but our "soul" keeps living. I disagree with that cuz I don't believe in an after life.

Sorry if I misunderstood what you wrote.

I seriously DON'T understand. Isn't that "Soul" just a sort of concept?

What's your definition of "soul"? It would be better to understand.

I think both Mystique and Shredtastical don't talk about the same definition. That's why I agree with both.
In Mystique definition, the soul is just who we are (our essence). It's something beyond rationality. But it evolves and is fed with our experiences... It's the "true" us.
In Shredtastical, the soul is what some people considere immortal in a way they believe in an after life. When we die, our body means nothing but our "soul" keeps living. I disagree with that cuz I don't believe in an after life.

Sorry if I misunderstood what you wrote.

yeah, I think you get the gist of it. For Socrates the soul is what made a person alive. A body without a soul would just be a body and would be dead. The soul gives it birth. It isn't tangible by any means.

However, Socrates would argue that the soul is indeed immortal. When we die, it is only the death of the body-- the soul goes on to the underworld and comes up again to be re-born and take the form of another body. And since it does this, Socrates said that there is no such thing is "learning." Like learning is really recollecting knowledge that you previously had (since your soul had lived before it has already acquired knowledge). I don't really agree with this; but it is how the ancient Greeks saw it.

The idea of "the soul" is just as much myth as the idea of Dragons, we live because we respire and therefore create enough energy to power our internal organs and mechanisms.