Philosophy- Discuss Here

Yes! That's actually how I view this mess. Look at the the argument between those 2--clearly over thinking everything. It's stupid! Don't get me wrong, if you are studying something for the sake of something, fine. But you can't over think every single thing--like reason is an illusion :lol:.

That's my view on this. And as how I see it, everything is real as far as I care because it affects me. Go ahead and say "Oh it's an illusion" bullshit, because that's not real. Overthinking this will get you no where, rather get one more confused.

:rolleyes:

This is the kind of argument that can be heard from a father to his son or daughter about music, litterature or art. I know this is an exageration, but this is the same thing as:

"Art is nothing and are for the lazy. There's nothing tangible coming out of this, in life, you need to work and really help people around you, like creating real service for them."

Mostrly said by people who are working in shops, 7/7 60 hours a weeks worker, chain workers, business man, etc.

Going on at the topic of philosophy, i don't really like to discuss my views about this silly world we reside in. That being said, i'm going to say that i do not believe in a soul, any forms of afterlife, or any "planes of conscience" of any sort. It might make me sad, but i dont know.. I'm just going to, try and explain my "views" now.. I'm open to any theories which within logical reasons, make for such a thing (afterlife and the likes) to exist, i do not deny anything simply because i do not want it as a view of life. if it is plausible, it is worth looking into.
Hey! Nice to see you here :)
Why do you think that just because you don't believe in the concept of a soul or any afterlife that you it makes you sad? This is a very common misconception made by man. Just because your beliefs are limited, or maybe you don't have any, doesn't make you "sad." For example, I don't believe in any of that either, but I'm a fairly happy person and I enjoy life.

Religion however, is something i used to think was only for weak people and the likes, but in the later years ive come to look at it as more of guidelines. For what we call common sense. Today though, they are outdated, but back when they were written, and im talking about the scriptures and books, they were more of a survival book than a book to control people. Take the islamic religion, and look at how they say pork meat is banned, the reason for this is that pork was riddled with diseases back around those times, so banning it in the "name of god", is an effective way of keeping people away from it. Same goes to many of the other religions, they are guidelines of how to coexist with nature and mankind. How do they make them follow them? By putting in god. If god is pleased, you will live a happy life, and get rewarded. How do you please god? By doing what he told you to, and god told you to do those things in that book. If you do not please god, he will be angry and satan takes you to hell to burn forever.
I would agree that religion can be a guidelines for people, however I would refrain from calling it common sense. I mean, is worship of deities common sense? And why can't you do moral things without it having to be for the sake of god? Are you not a good person on your own? Is it only god that makes you good?

Modern day religion, is what "ruins it" for most people. It has turned very oriented towards the existence of god(or the lack thereof), and cults hidden under the wings of the major religions, destroy their general image everyday. I used to hate religious people like the plague, but i don't anymore, they have hte full right to believe in it, and i'm not saying they are wrong, because i don't have any proof of it. Saying they were wrong, would also be fucking ironic, because i have no proof of my own view on life either, i have no PROOF that there doesnt exist an afterlife, i can't know till i die and "see" it. What if those who die and get revived, were "destined" to get revived, hence they never reached the afterlife, so they would never tell the tale?
I think stories of the afterlife have been created because of the fear of death. Man cannot comprehend non-existence. The thought is too much for him, and it scares him, so he must go on living even when he has died.

Some might look at my view as an atempt to covering all bases, but its just what falls logically to me, i'm not here to gain the love of other people by hugging everyone and saying their way of life is ok :p

*awaits people picking apart my words and telling me i fucking suck :lol:*

lol, no one's gonna say "you suck" (unless they don't understand what you're saying and they do it just to make themselves feel better about their feeble minds.) I'm glad you shared your thoughts.

Hey! Nice to see you here :)
Why do you think that just because you don't believe in the concept of a soul or any afterlife that you it makes you sad? This is a very misconception made by man. Just because your beliefs are limited, or maybe you don't have any, doesn't make you "sad." For example, I don't believe in any of that either, but I'm a very happy person and I enjoy life.

Well i don't know, i just used the general mass of people as an "average" view of myself, where not having a view of afterlife is GENERALLY looked down upon, ofcourse, generalization makes people angry, and carnage ensues. But based on the responses i usually get when i tell people about that, that is what most people think. Again, i don't care about it that much, but i can't say i'm 100% cold towards it, its always abit insulting when someone looks down upon something that's dear to you.
I enjoy life too, just fyi, i'm not a sad person :)

I would agree that religion can be a guidelines for people, however I would refrain from calling it common sense. I mean, is worship of deities common sense? And why can't you do moral things without it having to be for the sake of god? Are you not a good person on your own? Is it only god that makes you good?

Well, i'm not saying its common sense, but many of the guidelines and advice introduced from, say the bible, were totally valid as common sense 1000 years ago(and before that too). And no, worshipping deities isn't common sense :rofl:, but if there was "proof" that deities existed, that would be the case. But again, the god part of it, is/was just a means of getting people to actually uphold the rules, introducing consequence in a way they could understand(quite ironic, isn't it).

I think stories of the afterlife have been created because of the fear of death. Man cannot comprehend non-existence. The thought is too much for him, and it scares him, so he must go on living even when he has died.

Yeah i think that too. The concepts of "non-existence", "infinity", "eternally", are things we use and talk about, but no one can actually really understand these, because. Well for "obvious" reasons. Still i find that i understand it as much as i need to.. Which is why i have trouble believing that something like "infinity" can exist in the real world, like a physical infinity. I aired this thought on this forum before, only to be thrown in an onslaught of <-> arrows which SURELY was proof that infinity exists. An arrow on a note is not infinity, its a sign for the thought of infinity. I'm talking about infinity as, when they say a black hole has infinite mass, which to me is just absurd, seeing as if it was infinite, it would (atleast by what i have read and thought out based on what logics my current level of knowledge is) expand and swallow everything as we know it in an instant, because it has infinite gravity, and thus infinite pull on the universe, and then it has infinite acceleration, and thus, everything dies.

Then again, that might just be a whole load of bollocks, what do i know?

lol, no one's gonna say "you suck" (unless they don't understand what you're saying and they do it just to make themselves feel better about their feeble minds.) I'm glad you shared your thoughts.

Oh yes they're gonna! Atleast if i know the people that used to be around here and still are :lol: I rarely voice my opinions for that matter, because mostly i just get immature answers, or superbiased answers. I have trouble taking something as truth from people who are 100% sided on something, because i find it hard to believe that they have explored all sides, giving an objective view of it.. It's hard to be objective about something almost purely opinions though.

Well, i'm not saying its common sense, but many of the guidelines and advice introduced from, say the bible, were totally valid as common sense 1000 years ago(and before that too). And no, worshipping deities isn't common sense :rofl:, but if there was "proof" that deities existed, that would be the case. But again, the god part of it, is/was just a means of getting people to actually uphold the rules, introducing consequence in a way they could understand(quite ironic, isn't it).
Exactly, religion started out as a form of power. It still is today, but more for a moral basis. We have government structures now for controlling people. Religion isn't really needed anymore, but it has stayed because the value that people had put in it back then was so great that it had to carry on. And now it just helps people to feel good about themselves because it gives them something to believe in.

Yeah i think that too. The concepts of "non-existence", "infinity", "eternally", are things we use and talk about, but no one can actually really understand these, because. Well for "obvious" reasons. Still i find that i understand it as much as i need to.. Which is why i have trouble believing that something like "infinity" can exist in the real world, like a physical infinity. I aired this thought on this forum before, only to be thrown in an onslaught of <-> arrows which SURELY was proof that infinity exists. An arrow on a note is not infinity, its a sign for the thought of infinity. I'm talking about infinity as, when they say a black hole has infinite mass, which to me is just absurd, seeing as if it was infinite, it would (atleast by what i have read and thought out based on what logics my current level of knowledge is) expand and swallow everything as we know it in an instant, because it has infinite gravity, and thus infinite pull on the universe, and then it has infinite acceleration, and thus, everything dies.

Then again, that might just be a whole load of bollocks, what do i know?
Yeah, black holes are very interesting. Maybe what you meant to talk about was the vacuum in black holes? Like there is no space and time inside of it...I don't know...it's a hard concept.

Oh yes they're gonna! Atleast if i know the people that used to be around here and still are :lol: I rarely voice my opinions for that matter, because mostly i just get immature answers, or superbiased answers. I have trouble taking something as truth from people who are 100% sided on something, because i find it hard to believe that they have explored all sides, giving an objective view of it.. It's hard to be objective about something almost purely opinions though.
well, whatever. ignore them. at least there's a couple of us here who can respect these opinions.

I know what Psychiatry and Psychology is, and well, :lol: Psychology has some interesting things to offer, a lot of benefits but it's not a fucking science, well I guess it is but it's not a science you can ALWAYS prove true or not. There's studies but :lol: they can be really flawed. I might not be making my point as well as I could but I'm too tired to care XD
Yeah. I've just had my 2nd course in psychology and our teacher sometimes highlights the fact that most of those "facts" are only theories. The second course was mostly about how children think and evolve socially/Psychologically/(a bit)Physically.

I am entirely basing my opinion on the single Philosophy class I went to at college :lol: It was bollocks. It just seemed like overthinking for the sake of overthinking.

Yeah i bet it is. Im yet to have my first course. I guess i will have it the 2nd year.

just an opinion. I just know a handful of douschebags who are philosophy majors. They say philosophical shit for everything, it drives me insane.

It's just one of those things like why i hate organized religion. I hate when humans 'know' shit that is higher than us or know the meaning of life itself. It is different for everyone.

This one is for you all religionfags:

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?
Then he is not omnipotent.

Is he able, but not willing?
Then he is malevolent.

Is he both able, and willing?
Then whence cometh evil?

Is he neither able nor willing?
Then why call him God.

This one is for you all religionfags:

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?
Then he is not omnipotent.

Is he able, but not willing?
Then he is malevolent.

Is he both able, and willing?
Then whence cometh evil?

Is he neither able nor willing?
Then why call him God.

LOL HI MAYBE WE AREN'T REAL AND YOU ARE ALL IN MY DREAMS