Photography and Art Topic!

Taken with my old 2MP Fuji, crappy camera with no manual settings.

large.jpg

Great picture!

You're gonna be there this weekend, right?

Thread resurrection!

I've found out about the Sony World Photography Awards, and I've decided to enter! I'm allowed 3 entries, and I know my best stuff is currently my concert photography, so if you all could look through my Flickr Set SWPA, and let me know which 3 YOU like best, that'd be awesome. I already have in my mind, narrowed it down to 5, but lets see what you think. :)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nailz1000/sets/72157622667199445/detail/

Thanks! No doubt about the insane money needed for studio lighting. I actually found a local studio with lighting and everything included except the camera for $25 an hour. It's crazy and I'll be trying it out for sure. I'm trying to break INTO concert photography more and more, and want to do band promo shots as well, and expand to sports and weddings, possibly portraits.
I wanted to comment on your post, but didn't want to take that thread off topic, so I resurrected this one.

After over seven years of photographing in the music industry, I've been watching proceeds dwindle instead of grow. I still have one consistent customer in Drumhead magazine, but some of the publications I've sold photos to are out of business or simply have their own people do it with point and shoots to save money. Most of the bands I've had contact with have no money for photo shoots and the labels' budgets are thinner too. I'm not trying to dissuade you from pursuing your passion, I'm all for that, just letting you know what I've learned so you go in it with eyes open.

I'm now branching in to real estate photography (hence the need for my own lighting equip). Living in the most congested state in the country, we've got more than enough of it that needs to be sold. The trick is convincing realtors that their properties will sell much faster with professionally done photos on their sites then the truly horrendous ones they take themselves.

I hope to eventually expand into photographing businesses, vacation properties, boats, etc. etc. Not interested in weddings. Too much emotion attached to them and you only get one chance to get it right.

I know there's no budget for anything ever for anyone, but I find that if someone wants it bad enough, the funds usually become available. I've done 2 free shoots for Vayden and have one this Friday they're paying me for. It's one band, sure, but the more I network with bands in phoenix I think the more work I'm going to find. I don't expect it to take over my day job, but I can make a good supplemental income off of it for the first year, and costs are really low. I've already got everything I need. Anyway, a couple of my shots in action:

4677149469_17853323e3.jpg

4677793902_2de4ff46e4_b.jpg

4666274347_0eac1d235a_b.jpg

Can't complain with results. :)

x-post from main forum, a preview of the Primal Fear in Phoenix last night.

4687102591_2f0f66b658_b.jpg

It's pretty amazing what a better body can do for your photography. This is the same venue I shot Redemption and got virtually nothing usable. Granted they didn't really turn the lights on during Redemption's set, which kind of sucked, but I don't think I could've taken what I did with my old body.

This Friday, I'm shooting Vayden again, and have a frient coming in to help with Audio/Video capture too. It should be fun as fuck.

I am looking at a Canon EOS Rebel T1i. Anyone have any thoughts on that body? Found what seems to be a good deal for the starter kit, $749.