Photography and Art Topic!

nailz

Nov 11, 2002
San Francisco
Visit site
Over on the Elvenking forum, we have an Art thread, where people post their poems, writings, and various pictures they've taken. I thought it would be kind of fun to move that thread here.

Here's a picture I took tonight. I have a Canon XTi and just purchased a 50mm 1/8f Lens and wanted to try some dusk photog tonight since it's monsoon season here in AZ and the clouds catch the setting suns rays quite amazingly on most nights. Tonight wasn't so good, but I still got a few cool shots.

2809468987_d0c86cefda.jpg

This one was taken on the 12th of this month: This is more like what I mean. This was only photoshopped enough to show the actual colors!...

2758390763_9ccd4ddbb8.jpg

And then one last one.. here's one from my cousin's wedding in July

2725778697_0c15ca99e8.jpg

You can see more of my pics on Flickr
Lets see yours!

I'm not artistic (for the most part), but I have a good friend who just switched careers to being a freelance photographer. He does mostly outdoors/wildlife stuff. He just got back from spending a month in Scotland photographing raptors. I had no idea that there are so many people around the world who still hunt with birds. Anyway, his pictures are very cool (who doesn't like birds of prey?).
http://www.kendallarsonphotography.com/ScotlandRaptors/

When I figure out how to retire, photography is definitely something I want to learn more about. These are from my idiot-proof Kodak Easyshare. :)

Central Park
100_0216.jpg

A young(er) Andy Roddick:
100B0080_2.jpg

Mt. Rainier:
100_0295.jpg

View from Diamond Head - Oahu
100_753.jpg

Nice picture of Mt. Rainier from Seattle. Was this from the Space Needle?

I didn't go up Diamond Head when I was on Oahu a couple of months ago, but saw the lighthouse in your picture from another vantage point.

Your pictures are TONS better than mine! :) What kind camera did you use?

When I figure out how to retire, photography is definitely something I want to learn more about. These are from my idiot-proof Kodak Easyshare. :)

A young(er) Andy Roddick:
100B0080_2.jpg

View from Diamond Head - Oahu
100_753.jpg

OK, A: That Andy Roddick Picture is fucking amazing.
B: I call shenadigans on that light house!

2317444079_7c7e383cf8_o.jpg

No, Just kidding, we clearly both have great taste!

Just got back from vegas. Have 1 or two I'd like to share. As soon as I get them processed.

Delicate, that drawing is awesome!

Here's 2 more I took in hawai'i I especially like, both from Maui

2318251274_d48b4b9150_o.jpg

2317387353_daf0643ea5_o.jpg

I can't contribute much. Here's the best I can do:
This is from a ride I had on a B-24. Unfortunately, our old digital camera had a really bad problem with white balance and the whole picture is shifted toward blue. This is after I tweaked it. The original is worse.
B24_50cal.jpg

I took this with the camera on my Blackberry:
081207BikeRide.jpg

Wow, I love the one of Mt. Rainier.

I went to Alaska this summer, so here are a few of my favorites:

Eddystone Rock, Misty Fjords, near Ketchikan

Mendenhall glacier, near Juneau

Those two are glaciers in the College Fjords area of Alaska.

And, of course... Mt. McKinley/Denali on a clear day!:

I took so damned many photos on that trip. :)

Nice picture of Mt. Rainier from Seattle. Was this from the Space Needle?

Your pictures are TONS better than mine! :) What kind camera did you use?

Yep, that was from the Space Needle. A lot of my other photos ended up with safety cables in the pic!

I have an old Kodak EasyShare DX6490. It has a 10x Optical Zoom (which was rare when I got it). It's great for getting close-up shots from a distance, but the downside is that the camera is a little bulky. I also bought another EasyShare that only has a 3x Optical Zoom, but it is much more portable.

...one i did of my nieces....a gift for grandma...

Wow - what an amazing talent! :worship:notworthy:worship:

OK, A: That Andy Roddick Picture is fucking amazing.
B: I call shenadigans on that light house!

Here's 2 more I took in hawai'i I especially like, both from Maui

Oh, that is too funny! Did you purchase the obligatory "I hiked Diamond Head" t-shirt as well? :lol:

I like the Maui pic that you took on a diagonal...I might have to steal that idea, too. :)

I went to Alaska this summer, so here are a few of my favorites:

Stunning scenery! I would love to visit Alaska someday...I just need to figure out how to do it without getting cold. Eight years in Arizona has turned me into quite the wimp. :lol:

Stunning scenery! I would love to visit Alaska someday...I just need to figure out how to do it without getting cold. Eight years in Arizona has turned me into quite the wimp. :lol:

Yeah, Alaska was amazing. Jeremy's already planning our return trip. We got super-lucky when we were at Denali National Park. It was 75 and sunny. Since you ride through the park on glorified school buses and it was warm, we were absolutely coated in dust from the (unpaved) roads.

Otherwise, yeah, when we were there in early June it was low 60s each day. Fine by me... but so many people on the cruise portiono of our trip came with only shorts. So, if you go... remember to pack pants! ;)

...i am soooo jealous!...i wanna go somewhere and take pictures!...lol....i may have to dig out some of my pix of vacations past...

thank you for the compliments on my drawing :)
when i draw i tend to want my drawings to look exactly like the photo...(which messes me up at times)....

Wow, that's an amazing drawing! I can't even copy a stick figure! ;)

But in Alaska, the pictures made themselves. It made me look like I knew what I was doing with my camera.

Here's a bud from the rebirth of the Rose of Sharon in my front yard:

Oh, that is too funny! Did you purchase the obligatory "I hiked Diamond Head" t-shirt as well? :lol:

No, but I did get the certificate, which is framed ;)
I hate heights, and climbing diamondhead was a challenge when I got to the little overhang thing you have to bend over to crawl out of. :lol:

These are a few I took while in San Francisco recently. The sky was litterally that blue, this isn't photoshopped.

2455534465_540a78fae7.jpg

And this one, I liked the perspective. The image makes me think of the accomplishments of man and how small we all are in comparison to everything.

2456165563_54c28a8e3d.jpg

I did the best I could with my 35mm

ViewfromBeachII.jpg

The beach near my hotel when I was at the ACA conference in Hawaii

And some art. I haven't drawn anything in about five years, though.
http://www.elfwood.com/art/d/e/desiree82/elnea_ii.jpg.html - first time trying to color something on the computer. I used MS Paint. I think I was 18 or 19 when I did this.

http://www.elfwood.com/art/d/e/desiree82/merl.jpg.html - Biology class doodle. Age 19?

http://www.elfwood.com/art/d/e/desiree82/nightmare.jpg.html - Nightmare, using a photo of a Friesian horse for reference. This was my first time trying to color with Prismacolor pencils. I still haven't figured out how to make them blend nicely. I can blend with plain old Crayolas like a champ, though! I think I was 20 or 21 when I drew this.

http://www.elfwood.com/art/d/e/desiree82/unicorns.jpg.html - Ink wash picture. I had to make an ink wash picture for an art class. I got carried away with the ink and the picture was too dark. I got a B+ on the picture.

http://www.elfwood.com/art/d/e/desiree82/butterfly.jpg.html - faerie. I was feeling emo when I drew it. And wrote the description. I don't remember why. Probably something stupid.

http://www.elfwood.com/art/d/e/desiree82/earlii.jpg.html - BATFROG! Another biology class doodle that I colored in MS paint. Red Eye Tree Frog was the model for it.