pic thread...

Originally posted by aegis
Westfalia ? the place where are Duisburg, Dortmund and all the industries ? i didn't think it was beautiful ...
i went near Duisburg (in fact, i was closer from the dutch frontier)
by a student exchange when i was 15, but that wasn't specially beautiful :)

Aegis, who wants to visit again Schwarzwald (Freiburg is a so beautiful town) and Bayern

Well it's North Rhine Westfalia all together, Duisburg is the biggest industry shit, totally ugly, it's more North Rhine. I agree there. Dortmund area is called the Ruhrpott mainly with a lot of industry, but it has some nice areas too. When you go more north and come to Westfalia and esp. East Westfalia is very beautiful. We do have the Externsteine, a very old place, let me find a link for you:
http://www.externstein.de/
only in German, but nice pics...

indeed, i don't remember have seen landscapes like that :)
i was at less as 5 km of the Netherlands, very close from Venlo ...

it was quite nice too, there were some forests (there was no industries there, but i thought Duisburg was more representative of the region)

seems there is a lot to see in Germany too :)

@dead winter... Comon! you need to spend the night/morning talking to an american, and send stupid pics, then you´ll be a bit better, I can tell you...:)

So take care, where are you going?

@morgana didn't knew you could see the aurora in northern Germany!!!! is that some special season of the year or what???

@phyros: you're the biologist so you may know, is the aurora something random or just appears clockworkly????

@astarte: I also want to see the aurora toooo

@FatherVic, the melon man... Well, It´s not really my thing, but this is what I know: Aurora Borealis and Aurora Australis (northern lights and southern lights) appear randomly, and is the effect on sunbursts entering the atmosphere. They (talking about Aurora Borealis here, don´t know that much about Australis, exept that it exists, but I asume that they behave the same way)can be seen as far south as the 30 grade, that´d be somewhere in line with the northern edge of Africa (for Southern lights, somwhere in line with South Africa) But in order to see them that far south (or north) the conditions have to bee EXTREMLY good, and they seldom are... I read that they where that good once in a centuary, or even more seldom. If you go further north, like northern Sweden you can expect to see them more often, very often if I am correct. I´ve been to our beautyfull northern parts once in my life for four weeks, and I saw the lights clear for 10-15 times. I guess the northerners can fill me in here...:)

-phyros (looking at braveheart)

@Phyros: Wow, Sweden looks so beautiful! Does it get really cold during the winter? I know it does here, it gets like -50 degrees... Except it's winter right now and it's actually +50 degrees. Which is odd, but oh well. No snowmobiling this year. :mad:... I have some relatives that live in Sweden, I don't know which part, but maybe I can visit them some time. I've seen Northern Lights here, and they are quite beautiful, I see them most of the time at my cabin. I'll have to come visit you in Sweden Phyros, because you seem so cool :cool:. Since my cousins live there, then I have a reason. :)

ok, here is where i live, it's kind of a valley at the end of a small town! it's really beautiful, woods everywhere and two castles on two hills surrounding the house where i live! there are a lot of beautiful places in these woods

Attachments

• rauheneck1.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 74
@morgana: those were beautiful pics!

Seem like all of you have been like everywhere! You're so lucky! Besides Sweden and Denmark, I've only been to Germany and Greece.
This summer I'm prbably going to travel up north in Sweden, over to Finland, and back to Norway far up north, then travel all the way down (and that willl take some time; 'cause of all the valleys, you have to go maybe thrice as long as you would if the roads had been straight...). And if I'm lucky, I might get to Germany and Whacken to. :) Hope so...

for my part, i have traveled in most of the french regions, Corse, Greece, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Netherlands, Italy and England ...