Pick one band and say what you think they're OVERRATED

Definitely overrated as far as being actual tech-death. The first album and half of the second album are tech-y but not nearly as interesting as Watchtower, Mekong Delta, Voivod, etc, and they're not death metal either. Their riffs are often more simplistic than people realize, and the jazz shit is totally overblown when they're full of power chords and conservative harmonies. Melodically I hear much more Fates Warning than fucking Allan Holdsworth or whatever people try comparing them to. Steve Flynn is really sloppy too.

Some of the songs are individually still amazing though, and Elements is close to perfect (just bad production and drops off slightly towards the very end).

Testament is overrated by fanboys and certain true-frasher cliques but they're underrated by the in-crowd masses that pretend they're the most generic thrash band in existence. Peterson was a very capable and tight rhythm guitarist and aside from maybe Damage Inc, their early riffs sound nothing like Metallica riffs despite the frequent comparisons. Skolnick is obviously great, and while Chuck Billy doesn't have the widest range, he has a distinctive and appropriately tough voice. One could argue that they did catch something of a lucky break in that they were signed to a major label before any of the big four were, being part of a second wave of thrash bands after the founders, but whatever. I think Exodus was praising Testament before they even had their first demo out, and of course they'd steal Zetro away shortly later, so it's clearly not just pure luck that they made it big and Heathen, Laaz Rockit, etc didn't.

The Legacy is so much better than anything Anthrax, Sodom, Roadrunner-era Sepultura, or post-PtK Kreator released.

I definitely fall into the "thinks Testament is generic thrash" category. The first two albums are good, I can headbang to them and whatnot, but in the end there is no lasting impact for me. I feel like Testament has about as much style as an accountant on casual Friday. Also I kind of hate Billy's vocals.

Reactions: Dak
Black Label Society. Their music is bland and generic as frag, and Zakk Wylde is an ass.

Trivium and Parkway drive are in the same boat. Matt Heafy seems like a sweetheart, though.

Mustaine's vocals are fine. He definitely isn't the best vocalist in the world but the thrash vocalists I've heard for the most part aren't that great so it's not like he's out of place or anything

I agree about Mustaine. Don’t get he hate for his vocals at all. He’s obviously far from great, but I can’t name that many thrash vocalists I think are great anyway.

As a person though, he comes across as a bit of an obnoxious cunt.

Definitely overrated as far as being actual tech-death. The first album and half of the second album are tech-y but not nearly as interesting as Watchtower, Mekong Delta, Voivod, etc, and they're not death metal either. Their riffs are often more simplistic than people realize, and the jazz shit is totally overblown when they're full of power chords and conservative harmonies. Melodically I hear much more Fates Warning than fucking Allan Holdsworth or whatever people try comparing them to. Steve Flynn is really sloppy too.

Some of the songs are individually still amazing though, and Elements is close to perfect (just bad production and drops off slightly towards the very end).
You must've been hangin around BNRmetal during the early/mid 2000's, didn't you ? :heh:

Napalm Death
Why would you say that ?

Exodus

definitly one of most overrated bands these days.

Exodus is overrated by the small number of fanboys that think they literally invented thrash single-handedly, but that's it. Zetrodus is underrated and BBB is an eternal classic.

Does Dave Mustaine even consider Dave Mustaine to be a great singer?

You must've been hangin around BNRmetal during the early/mid 2000's, didn't you ? :heh:

I think I got into those bands first simply via some Wikipedia article on thrash metal, but yeah BNRmetal was still one of the first metal websites I discovered.

Reactions: PrincessHades
Testament is definitely overrated, people wank over their material and often throw some stupid statements claiming they are the best thrash metal act out there. Also, Ghost is fucking overrated and I can't listen to them anymore, I enjoyed their debut when it came out, but then they've become a shitty joke to me. And yeah, Manilla Road used to be overrated in here. They're a great band for sure, but nothing that spectacular to make so much fuss about.

ND are not overrated at all. So many classy albums and their consistence throughout the years are why I value them so much.
I'd be curious to hear the reasons why ND are overrated. They were a classic brutal punk/early grindcore outfit, and then absolutely brilliant when they finetuned and gathered their sound a bit as a death metal band during that mid 90's period, and then released an interesting array of albums after that with an evolving feature. "Fear Despair and...Chewing Gum" ? (can never remember the name of that album.. Fear Despair and Banana Skins) is fkng good music and as well written as it is intense.

I'd be curious to hear the reasons why ND are overrated. They were a classic brutal punk/early grindcore outfit, and then absolutely brilliant when they finetuned and gathered their sound a bit as a death metal band during that mid 90's period, and then released an interesting array of albums after that with an evolving feature. "Fear Despair and...Chewing Gum" ? (can never remember the name of that album.. Fear Despair and Banana Skins) is fkng good music and as well written as it is intense.

Fear, Emptiness, Despair. A great fucking album. It's often overlooked by ND 'fans' that only pay attention to the first three LPs.