try these:

Ayreon
The Flower Kings- Adam & Eve
Andromeda
Into Eternity
Dynamic Lights
CIrcus Maximus

and something a bit different: Extol- The Blueprint Dives

good call, i recommend "the human equation" as a starting point. it features vocals from mikael :headbang:

robb said:
COG.
i absolutely adore opeth and tool, but these guys (for me) are on a very similar level. slightly lower, but still FKN GOOD.

band from australia, just released their debut lp. they've got 2 eps out as well. the eps are probably best compared to tool, but definitely have their own sound.

www.cog.com.au

i highly recommend listening to anything from the just visiting eps, or tracks "doors", or "the spine" from the new normal.

ENJOY!

Yeah awesome band. I think "Real Life" is my next fav after "Doors"..

PS: Ulver is very good.

I'm surprised none of you mentioned Symphony X!!!!!!!!!!!! This guys absolutely rule, they are technical, heavy, fast, epic, dramatic, you name it. Check out the cd, "the Odyssey." The 24 min track is one of the best songs I've ever listened to in my life.

THE FLOWER KINGS... killer shit right there...

surprised noone has said Tool... buy Lateralus... or Pink Floyd - anything from A Saucerful of Secrets to The Wall... I think for specifically prog listening, I would recommend Animals...

Between the Buried and Me - if you like Dream Theater and Opeth...you'll like these guys... not exactly the same thing tho obviously... some pretty hardcore stuff on ALaska...

Taal
Mekong Delta
7 for 4
The Mars Volta
Disillusion
Arcturus
Nevermore
Riverside
Communic
Dark Suns
Indukti
Wastefall

There's many more...

If you haven't heard King Crimson, then you must hear the song "walking on air"

Also, Aqualung by Jethro Tull is necessary

bball_1523 said:
I'm surprised none of you mentioned Symphony X!!!!!!!!!!!! This guys absolutely rule, they are technical, heavy, fast, epic, dramatic, you name it. Check out the cd, "the Odyssey." The 24 min track is one of the best songs I've ever listened to in my life.

I'm surprised by this as well...

But I'm even more surprised that someone can have a prog metal thread and not discuss Winds. A band where Opeth's members are but master's apprentices as far as individual skill and musicianship goes. By that I mean that Opeth is not musically trained, but Winds is, and they excel on their instruments unlike any other band in metal.

KJones said:
I'm surprised by this as well...

But I'm even more surprised that someone can have a prog metal thread and not discuss Winds. A band where Opeth's members are but master's apprentices as far as individual skill and musicianship goes. By that I mean that Opeth is not musically trained, but Winds is, and they excel on their instruments unlike any other band in metal.

Not to detract from the musicianship of Winds but there are plenty of musicians in metal who could hold their own with the guys from Winds. I own a Winds album and while I like it the mix on it is just...not to my liking. I ordered that and Peccatum at the same time and both albums are collecting dust now. I should probably break them out but I haven't been listening to metal much for several months now.

As far as guitarist in metal go I think these guys are execptional players (even if I don't particularly like the band or their music)

Michael Romeo
Alexi Laiho
Michael and Christopher Amott
Jeff Loomis
Emmpu from Nightwish
Stephan Forte
Timo Kotipelto
Alex Skolnick
Ola Frennig
Peter Witchers
etc

robb said:
COG.
i absolutely adore opeth and tool, but these guys (for me) are on a very similar level. slightly lower, but still FKN GOOD.

band from australia, just released their debut lp. they've got 2 eps out as well. the eps are probably best compared to tool, but definitely have their own sound.

www.cog.com.au

i highly recommend listening to anything from the just visiting eps, or tracks "doors", or "the spine" from the new normal.

ENJOY!

You are a champion. Didn't think I'd find any other Cog fans on here. All of their songs kick ass in my opinion, there is no other band like them from what I've heard. Definately get into these guys. I saw them last week, and even their soundcheck was amazing.
Their drummer is nuts aswell. Aweosme musicians.

gumtree said:
You are a champion. Didn't think I'd find any other Cog fans on here. All of their songs kick ass in my opinion, there is no other band like them from what I've heard. Definately get into these guys. I saw them last week, and even their soundcheck was amazing.
Their drummer is nuts aswell. Aweosme musicians.

saw them at homebake im guessing?

i missed that one, was at motley instead ;)

i've seen them prolly over 50 times, maybe around 10 times between the bulli RSL and wollongong uni?

keep an eye out, they're pretty loyal to the uni.

and yes, lucius is one awesome drummer. he played a fantastic solo at the uni once actually, fkn tops.

*sidenote: the drummers dad, kevin borich, was a guitar player and musician in his own right. nothing revolutionary or awe inspiring, but i picked one of his albums up for about $8 or something... anyway, moving on...