Plugin Slate VMR vs VCC

Tasty-Tom

New Metal Member
Nov 16, 2008
Grim And Frostbitten Norway
If you were only allowed one of these, which would you buy ?

I only have stock plugins from Studio one and i'm GASING over these, but i will only allow my self one because of money restrictions.

Just like Ermz said, they're different kinds of tools, one being console emulation and the other one being multiple comps and eq's. If I were you I would probably pick VMR myself, but it's your call.

VMR will give you compression and eq - and they're adding saturation as well. So I'd go with VMR if I had to choose. VCC 2.0 are totally awesome though and might become your next buy.

There's also an upcoming subscription scheme from Slate, some 20 bucks per month and you have all their plugins. There are different opinions regarding the whole subscription concept, but I personally like it. I randomly use VCC and VTM (which I have), and sometimes I'm in a mood to try VTM, VBC or even FX-G (which I tested and chose not to buy). With this subscription plan I can always get back to these unavailable products and refresh my impressions.

You'll get way more done with vmr than vcc. Start with that then add vcc later on. If you're just starting out and only have stock plugins, you really don't need vcc.

You'll get way more done with vmr than vcc. Start with that then add vcc later on. If you're just starting out and only have stock plugins, you really don't need vcc.

This

I like and use both, but if I HAD to pick one, I'd go with VMR, because you can do way more with it.

Sort of 6 of one, half-dozen of the other. There are plenty of awesome EQs and compressors out there, some free, that rival the musicality, efficiency, and features of VMR, but VCC is hands-down the best "glue" for any mix I've yet to hear, and offers a ton of options. On the other hand, VCC only does one thing while VMR does many things. If I had to choose I'd say VCC because there aren't any freeware options or competitors that come remotely close to it in my (somewhat limited) experience.

There are plenty of awesome EQs and compressors out there, some free, that rival the musicality, efficiency, and features of VMR

I respectfully disagree. UAD plugs are the only alternative as far as sound quality go.

I respectfully disagree. UAD plugs are the only alternative as far as sound quality go.

I have UAD plugins and basically all the slate ones and there's tons of great native plugs. A lot of the UAD stuff is indeed very good but so is fabfilter, DMG, sonnox, klanghelm, sonimus, valhalla, soundtoys, brainworx, boz.

all different tools but top notch in their own way.

Yes, sorry that was poorly worded. I meant in term of analog emulation (hence musicality to a degree) and this off course is only my opinion. Pro-Q is awesome for example but it doesn't impart any coloration other than specific slopes... etc

VMR cause you get eq and comp. Both VMR and VCC add analog mojo, but if you need to be shaping tones I'd go with VMR. VCC, is one of those plugs that makes it easier to reach your goal in less strokes, but it still needs the basic type of plugs to really shape the sound.

odd man out I guess. VCC offers something unique that your daw stock plugins don't cover. Didn't find the eq and compressors to be very special. I've seen 1176s a hundred times before.

This was my thinking as well, VMR is fantastic but VCC does something you won't typically find in stock/free plugins. Seems like VCC might be the better buy since you'll already have compressors/eq.

Either way they are both great choices.

VCC for me as well. I personally think VMR does the analog ssl, neve, and 1176 better than anything I've heard in the box other than nebula (minus the 1176) but VCC just instantly jump starts the mix. As simple as throwing the Brit N on the master and turning the drive up. Honestly tho you can't go wrong choosing either of them. Great tools fo shoo!