Political discussions and other rants about useless things like culture

I'm not a China expert by any means, but it's pretty obvious to me if there's any sort of homegrown movement to democratize the government, any prodding by the U.S. can kill it. This was the situation in Iran, and why Obama stayed aloof when Ahmedinejad stole the elections.

The problem with China's (and increasingly, India's) development is not so much the power politics. Even if China became a big bad dog militarily, it's not like the U.S. isn't a 900 pound gorilla. It's the environmental concerns. China and India have almost two and a half times the amount of people of the US (each), and their governments think it's a question of their sovereignty whether or not they should reach a very Western level of modernity and consuming habits. Which is completely fucking idiotic, because if the rest of the world achieved Western standards of modernity the same way the U.S. and Europe reached it, let alone consumed at our rate... well, might as well eat McDonald's, drive our Hummers, and just forget recycling, because we'll all be fucked in 20, 30 years no matter what we do if that's the case.

To me... that's pretty much the reason why the world needs a democratic China. If the Chinese government is ok with poisoning its own people for the sake of meeting lofty economic benchmarks, think they'll care what they do to everyone else? I mean, it's only in the last 10 years that in the United States we've really become collectively conscious that this is a huge problem. If China, India, and the rest of the developing world acts like the Republican Party and pretends the planet isn't reaching its carrying capacity because of *how* we consume, then, well... uh... yeah.

We're pretty much fucked if the Chinese don't get a government that's far more responsive to its own people and can be held accountable through *open* elections.

Don't worry ... You know what ... the world will end in the year 2012 and you people will all come to China. Haha

Check this out:
----> http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20091209/wl_asia_afp/unclimatewarmingchina

Why the hell was our minister refused entry to copenhagen climate talks (THREE TIMES !!!)

:mad:

@Zach.Zhang: That's a topic that interests me. What do most people there think about all this? Do they agree or do they want things to change?

We do want to change. And we will start a violent revolution very soon :heh: ... well ... I'm kidding.

I've been thinking how to answer this question. I think the system here has been established for a long time and can't be changed that easily.

As a 23 years old guy doing computer programming in a small company, I really dont have a plan.

People know that "changing" may lead to much sacrifice and the result is uncertain. So we will do what we should do. Maybe things will get better gradually.

As a 23 years old guy doing computer programming in a small company, I really dont have a plan.

People know that "changing" may lead to much sacrifice and the result is uncertain. So we will do what we should do. Maybe things will get better gradually.

I think, you have the same problem as we do here in Tunisia.
The thing that worries me the most is that who's gonna be the next "leader" and shall they be better or worse?
The will of change is somehow related to bravery and love of the country, not as a governmental system, but the cultural aspect of it.

We do want to change. And we will start a violent revolution very soon :heh: ... well ... I'm kidding.

I've been thinking how to answer this question. I think the system here has been established for a long time and can't be changed that easily.

Had to write this, sorry :p :

Society failed to tolerate me
And I have failed to tolerate society
Still I can’t find what you adore
Inside I hear the echoes of an inner war
Nothing can take the horror from me
Your sick world the loss of all morality
My hate has grown as strong as my confusion
My only hope my only solution
is a Violent Revolution

Violent Revolution, Violent Revolution
Reason for the people to destroy

I do not need a cause for my rage
I just despise the nature of the human race
When all I see is repulsion and hate
Violence becomes my only friend, my saving grace
When love is lost beyond your control
A pale shadow of lust can not enlight your soul
So keep your ice cold bitter illusions
I don’t need your empty world my only solution
is a Violent Revolution

Violent Revolution, Violent Revolution
Reason for the people to destroy

Beauty is no more it’s all gone
And utopia will not come
Trust I can not feel, only pain
And my burning mind has gone insane​

There has certainly been a change in China, before there weren't U.S. fashion stores there. The change recently has been quite strong, with the expansion of the economy, and I think that political changes will come. Certainly not immediately, but gradually, they will. China is a weird 'communist' - capitalist country, but the latter is slowly disappearing.

I think, you have the same problem as we do here in Tunisia.
The thing that worries me the most is that who's gonna be the next "leader" and shall they be better or worse?
The will of change is somehow related to bravery and love of the country, not as a governmental system, but the cultural aspect of it.

I'm pretty sure in every country most 'intelligent' people are worried about who's going to be their next leader. Costa Rica will have elections next February, and I'm more than worried who's going to be the next president. Although I don't really believe we elect the president, nor that he/she is the one who makes the call. The Patriots are the ones in control… (;)). (Serious about a group being in control, not serious about them being called the patriots.)

And, on a somewhat different note, apparently Italians are now actually (and finally) doing something about their politicians:

Rahvin must feel proud :p, I want his comments on this. And of course, of the other Italian(s) of the forum.

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
@Zach.Zhang: Thanks for the answer. Imo gradual change is better whenever possible, so i do hope things get better for you with time.
Politics are dirty, and "change" does not always equal improvement. In this i agree with Defiance, i -too- don't believe we have much control over who gets to govern us or who really makes the decisions or even that there's such a big difference between potential leaders (at least in smaller countries). More often than not, thanks to corruption and media, i think we mostly have the illusion of choice.

As a 23 years old guy ..., I really dont have a plan.
Here's a plan: post a picture. :p

@hexwind: I don't think i've seen you around before, so welcome, and feel free to post pictures as well. :p

Had to write this, sorry :p :

Society failed to tolerate me
And I have failed to tolerate society
Still I can’t find what you adore
Inside I hear the echoes of an inner war
Nothing can take the horror from me
Your sick world the loss of all morality
My hate has grown as strong as my confusion
My only hope my only solution
is a Violent Revolution

Hah, I typed that song-title on purpose.

Here's a plan: post a picture. :p

OK, later :D

Ok... A subject I can't get out of my head! Enough for me to make the effort and register!
I've been looking in here for years and my DT collection is...almost complete? The handle is a nod to a post by Siren this winter...remember? :))
Anyway, like this:
The language part: Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Iceland, Germany, Holland and England (surprise!) all share enough common ground that it's labelled as the same "branch" in the tracing of language development. If my memory serves me right from university (I'm kind of old) my native tounge Swedish is 60% German, 10% French and the rest is more or less directly from Greek and Latin. And the guy yelling about the American mark...If Jefferson and his buddies had been been, well Japanese...would this be a different impact? As pointed out earlier here, the United Kingdom is the only empire the world has seen with territory on all continents.
(...)

I've been reading this topic, and I find it to be very interesting indeed, however, there is a big mistake here, United Kingdom was NOT the only empire which covered the entire world, at least there was one more that was able to do that, I'm talking about Portugal: America (Brasil), Africa (Angola, Mozambique, etc, there are so many in Africa that I won't start to name them all), Asia (Macau and Goa), Oceania (Timor). If you are interested about knowing more about the history of this once brave country, check out the following links:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portuguese_Empire
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Former_Portuguese_colonies

I would not necessarily talk about bravery when it comes to colonization. It is not really the best thing that has happened to mankind.

I would not necessarily talk about bravery when it comes to colonization. It is not really the best thing that has happened to mankind.

You misunderstood what I said, I totally agree with your point of view, but when I mentioned the word "brave", I was referring to the fact that Portugal was the first country to ever set sail to the unknown seas (and therefore dwell all over the globe) and dare to explore, and if it is true that Portugal and Spain had the world at their feet, it is also true that they let it slip through their hands later, so empires like the British and the French could overcome them (despite this, Spanish is a more important language than french is nowadays).

LOL you guys managed to make me laugh very hard. :lol: The vikings? Hilarious.
I wasn't talking about who is the bravest here, that is very relative. I just mentioned Portugal were a brave country at that time, and that they set foot in every continent (and of course I am not counting Antarctica, and I think the reason is pretty obvious :) )

I will briefly comment on the exchange between Matse and LaRocque at the start of this thread. I concur on the fact that blue jeans are not "culture", at least in the most widely accepted sense of the word.

from the Google ...
"Outside of the United States, blue jeans were and are fashionable, symbolizing American culture and the good life"

Are you serious? You prove your point with a random quote found with google? Just because that guy/woman thinks so, does not mean anyone agrees with him or that he is even right. Discussions are about thinking and making others think, not about quoting other people's opinions.