Poll #1290234 - Anathema vs. My Dying Bride

Choose here:

• Anathema

Votes: 8 61.5%
  • My Dying Bride

Votes: 5 38.5%

• Total voters
MDB ceased being leaders after TLtS. I'm not a fan of the band or the album, but it was an important record.

Mourning Beloveth and Evoken have dethroned MDB

Evoken and MDB? Other than them both being in a "doom" category of sorts, I'm missing where the comparison comes from. Or put it this way, when I listen to "Songs of Darkness...", I don't exactly think "Quietus".

What Dreamlord said. Generally, My Dying Bride are more on the girly end of the doom spectrum and Evoken often cross the line to funeral doom but I'd place them both in the death-doom category.

MAKE YOURSELF ALL HONEY AND THE FLIES WILL DEVOUR YOU

OK but why stop at just Evoken or Mourning Beloveth? I'm obviously missing some logic here since there are hundreds of death/doom bands...especially since Morgion's Solinari is better than anything by any band in this thread.

Yeah, MB are influenced by MDB, but their songs flow better and their singer is a helluva lot better.

Personally, I'd rate MB's "Dust" well above anything from MDB, and just above Morgion's "Solinari", but both are very, very good.

Never saw the fascination with TLtS. The singer is incredibly whiny. The best thing about the band was there violin player. Also, I never bought the "gothic" thing from MDB.

AatDR is not good at all.

I'd take Dust and The Sullen Sulcus over anything from MDB any day.

J. said:
Never saw the fascination with TLtS. The singer is incredibly whiny. [...] AatDR is not good at all.
The whiny vocals of AatDR absolutely destroys it for me. I mean I see that songs like Black Voyage and The Cry of Mankind are fucking quality songs, but then Aaron comes blubbering into the microphone and ruins it all.

My Dying Bride are no longer state of the art and their recent releases have fallen short of some bands they've inspired like Morgion and Mourning Beloveth, but I still enjoy their last two albums a great deal, probably because I hear many echoes of what made them worth listening to in the first place IMO.

In a move of objectivity within the realm of a completely educated assessment, I'm going with Anathema. Why? Because I'm listening to them for the first time, a joyous occasion, and I've never heard My Dying Bride.

it's 84 degrees indoors at night and the heat is getting to me, sorry