POLL: The Best Vocal Performance at PPVII

Who gave the overall best vocal performance at PP VII?

• Matt Smith (Theocracy)

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • Mike Eriksen (Circus Maximus)

Votes: 27 12.8%
  • Wade Black (Leatherwolf)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Zak Stevens (Circle II Circle)

Votes: 4 1.9%
  • Lance King (Pyramaze)

Votes: 33 15.6%
  • Jens Carlsson (Savage Circus)

• Mattias IA Ekhlund (Freak Kitchen)

• Mikkel Sandager (Mercenary)

Votes: 17 8.1%
  • Tom Englund (Evergrey)

Votes: 6 2.8%
  • Erik Rosvold (Zero Hour)

Votes: 9 4.3%
  • Michele Luppi (Vision Divine)

Votes: 64 30.3%
  • Pasi Rantanen (Thunderstone)

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • Simone Simons (Epica)

Votes: 16 7.6%
  • Jorn Lande (Jorn Lande & The Solo Playing Band)

Votes: 22 10.4%

• Total voters

DarkOne

Black Belt in Sarcasm
May 2, 2002
Philadelphia
Visit site
I want to know who you felt was the best vocalist of PP VII.

Understand:
  • This doesn't mean your favorite vocalist
  • This doesn't mean the one that sings you favorite songs
  • This doesn't mean the nicest one or the one that signed your shirt
I want to know who, in your opinion, had the overall best vocal performance of the fest:

dcowboys311 said:
Michele Luppi, without a doubt.

+100000000000000000000000

He was so far above everyone that there should not even be a debate.

If you think someone else is better, please show me a video where YOUR choice holds a note for 45 seconds without being out of breath.

dcowboys311 said:
Michele Luppi, without a doubt.

I totally, 100% agree! Michele Luppi's voice was so strong, but at the same time very controlled and smooth.

Did anyone else notice that you could always hear Michele's voice over the instruments, but some of the other vocalists were drowned out or struggled to sing over the instruments? I'm not saying the others aren't good by any means, but it sounded to me that Michele just had more strength to his voice.

Luppi was f'n amazing.. That note he held just totally sold Vision Divine for me 'cause I'd never heard anything from them before... I walked away with 2 CDs...

And I have to give props to Michael of Circus Maximus... As soon as I heard his voice, my jaw hit the floor... I'm now a HUGE fan of his...

Funny thing is, some of the people that are casting votes did not watch all performances, so they can't really be sure if the ones they didn't see were better than the ones they're voting for.

AngraRULES said:
Funny thing is, some of the people that are casting votes did not watch all performances, so they can't really be sure if the ones they didn't see were better than the ones they're voting for.

Why is that funny?

And also, during the "Allstar Jam" at the end of Jorn's set, did anyone happen to catch that note Truls belted out? Who knew he could sing like that? You wanna talk about funny, lets talk about a drummer having a better voice than some lead singers.

AngraRULES said:
Cause you can't really judge what you didn't see and some people think they can. And I think that's funny. :lol:

I vote on what I saw, what I didnt see has no bearing because I didnt see it :yuk:... Saying that , its still a valid opinion.:loco::headbang:

Michele Luppi, for his outstanding range, being able to hit the very highest notes from the album without straining, excellent stage presence, great interactions with the crowd, and that 20-second note at the end of La Vitta Fugge.

Michael Erikson for being absolutely flawless, having a truly natural, gifted, talented voice and control over his tone, and showing EVERYONE how it should be done.

And definitely NOT Jorn. Not for me. Stale, slow, held that mic stand in the same posture, goofy sunglasses, boring interaction with the audience, and didn't do a single song that impressed me. Sorry folks, he may have tons of credentials to his name, but he did nothing for me. I had to get up and walk the concourse to stay awake.

Bryan316 said:
And definitely NOT Jorn. Not for me. Stale, slow, held that mic stand in the same posture, goofy sunglasses, boring interaction with the audience
That has NOTHING to do with his VOCALS!!!!:cool:

Okay, sorry.

His vocals were rough, gritty sounding, and not very impressive. He didn't sing with any gusto, or strength, or attack, and he had that damned "pull the mic away from the mouth for the high notes" method. I can't stand that. It's like rock stars try to be their own vocal compressor, and end up not cutting through in the mix cuz they're trying to hide any sour notes they might hit. Geoff Tate is terrible for that as well. Jorn hit some decently high notes, but they were always weak and difficult to hear. Stop worrying about MAYBE cracking a sour note, and hit all your vocals as loud and clear as possible. Not hearing your voice is far more annoying than hearing bad notes.