Porcupine Tree, anyone?

Technetium said:
Btw, if you like Porcupine Tree, check out this new thing called Blackfield. Steven Wilson is involved with it and it does sound a lot like PT. Blackfield has one album which is brand new, called "Hello".
A slight correction...the album i self-titled, Hello is its lead single. I'd recommend to it all PT fans, although it's considerably less progressive.

I love Porcupine Tree. I havent beena fan long but In Absentia just freakin hooked me. I love In Absentia, and most of my fav songs are off that album: Trains, 3, The Sound Of Muzak, The Creator Has A Mastertape, Blackest Eyes. I havent heard much of their older stuff, but i like Stupid Dream, Signify and Lightbulb Sun, great albums. :hotjump:

I first heard of Steven Wilson as the producer of Opeth's Blackwater Park when it came out and was all fascinated by this masterpiece of modern metal.
Several month later I crushed into "In Absentia" and was literally in tears while listening to "Trains", which is still one of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard.

I'm actually more into metal acts like Katatonia or Anathema than into this psychedelic thing Porcupine Tree are doing, but I've developed a deep love for this band and am constantly spending all my money on limited editon albums and all other recorded stuff from them ;).

Great music, great songwriting, great instrumental work.
Actually one of the most interesting bands beneath Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd.

Steven did a great job on Blackwater Park... ;)

By the way, did you note the similarity between a riff on the song Blackwater Park (1:14 and onwards) and Porcupine Tree's Blackest eyes (0:21 - 0:52)??? I think they're really, really similar (the guitar sound is almost the same...)

Both videos are available in acceptable quality on porcupinetree.com (if I remember correctly, might have also been on some fansite linked there..., maybe just ask in their forums or on their mailinglist).
Very nice work especially on "Blackest Eyes".
Another good hint is the video on "Hello" from Blackfield, another prog-project by Steven Wilson.
You can find the video on their website on http://www.porcupinetree.com/blackfield/.
Better spend your money on one of the last limited editon records of "recordings". I just bought one for 99,90 euros on amazon.de and it was worth every penny!

SW writes some of the most mature sounding music I've heard. I truly have never heard a better rock record than Lightbulb Sun. It's consistency is just disgustingly excellent. It's my favorite album ever behind My Arms, Your Hearse.