Porcupine Tree

Andy_2003

Dec 16, 2002
Shiteville
Visit site
Good band, I have just 2 albums, In Absentia and Signify, I really like them, very interesting stuff. Are all the other albums as good? how many albums they done? are they all similar ambient rock kind of music?

I bought "Lightbulb Sun" about a month ago, all I've got. "Shesmovedon" is a very catchy tune, reminds me of sth my dad listened to when I was younger, ELO I think. All in all there's a bunch of songs I'm allready skipping.

Didn't say I thought otherwise, first impression just haven't been ecstatic exactly, except that "Shesmovedon", extremely catchy tune. "Russia on Ice" has sth too, but it's so long.

I've just looked on their official site and it's a bit confusing finding the albums from the EP's in case I'm stupid enought o not find that, could someone list just all their albums?

You mean Stars Die?

A double CD set exploring the first five studio albums and various singles together with previously unreleased tracks, new mixes and assorted rarities culled from Porcupine Tree's seven years with Delerium Records.

It's not a "best of".

Anyways, just buy Stupid Dream, Lightbulb Sun and Recordings and you're fine. They have way to many rare singles and cassettes to even bother getting it all. There's like only five copies of some of the stuff..

Off topic
Check out Karnataka - Delicate Flame Of Desire if you´re into prog rock.
Already have ordered all they´re discography (3 albums and 2 dvds). They have to thank soulseek for that.

intet said:
You mean Stars Die?

A double CD set exploring the first five studio albums and various singles together with previously unreleased tracks, new mixes and assorted rarities culled from Porcupine Tree's seven years with Delerium Records.

It's not a "best of".

right. i always thought it was a best of. didnt care to read the top of the cover. :)

anyways it has some amazing tunes.

PTree is phenomenal! They have a multitude of albums, but the sound & style of "Signify" & "In Absentia" are most easily found on "Lightbulb Sun" (an absolute classic!) and "Stupid Dream". SOme of their earlier albums (from the early 90s) are quite different - imagine ambient old Pink Floyd mixed with the cheesy early Depeche Mode records. But much better, of course.
PTree really hit their stride with "Signify", IMO.

Have you guys focused in the work of Gavin Harrison (drums) on last PT album In Absentia... glglglglglglglglglgl *salivating*

Gravity Eyelids fucken rules.

Ah! The copy and paste vocal harmonies are something to palate also.. listen Heartattack in a lay by :)

For those who doesn't know this band you can stream a live performance on Nearfest 2001 (it correspond to Stupid Dream era, 2 albums ago)

http://www.studiomlive.com/nearfest2001/porcupinetree.html

you can also stream an acoustic set on Relapse UK recordstoren (yeah right, the house of noisecore acts) where you can listen Smart Kid that was recently sang by Mikael from Opeth in the PT+Opeth USA tour (this is not that one anyway)