post metal?

yeah and they wouldn't be considered post black just as a result of other bands before them that have been classified as "post black"

I don't like the post-metal label, because 95% of the bands in it are sludge and there's not much, if anything, that separates the two genres as far as I can tell.

However, genres with "post-" on them actually exist, like post-punk and post-rock. Both of those are established styles of music with easily identifiable characteristics that aren't shared by other genres.

The "post" signifies ironic, side parting hair-cutted cunts, as far as I can tell. It implies that those involve essentially consider themselves to have evolved past the "boundaries" of heavy metal, by combining (few) aspects of metal with knowing, tongue-in-cheek too-good-for-metal shite.

(This is a rant).

I hate post-anything, as a rule. It joins -core in my ever expanding lexicon of bigoted hate.

So what is post-death metal? Stuff like Carcass - Swansong or something different?

Post-doom?

Post-industrial?

????

It's basically like the regular versions of the same, except the band line up looks like a bunch of utter preppy cunts dressed in pre-faded Maiden T-shirts and with pretentious song titles.

Vocals, if featured at all, will be beyond lame.

do you think this has become a real sub-genre for metal or is it just a form of progressive metal? does it relate closely to post-rock? is it just heavy post-rock?

some bands that come to mind:
pelican
neurosis
mouth of the architect
isis
intronaut

~gR~
I've never seen the term 'post-metal' used before, and those bands seem to be talked about in a sludge, or doomy kinda context from what I've seen. Most of the people who talk about them say they have post-rock influence, but I'm no expert. I've heard the term 'post-black' before though. I've also heard lots of prog-death and stuff that takes obvious influence from post-rock and post-hardcore, which I actually really enjoy.

The "post" signifies ironic, side parting hair-cutted cunts, as far as I can tell. It implies that those involve essentially consider themselves to have evolved past the "boundaries" of heavy metal, by combining (few) aspects of metal with knowing, tongue-in-cheek too-good-for-metal shite.

(This is a rant).

I hate post-anything, as a rule. It joins -core in my ever expanding lexicon of bigoted hate.

:erk:

Maybe at some point you can confidently talk about post-metal/black/death etc., but for now I think those terms are still a little too slippery.

I think you can clearly talk about post-rock. It has a distinctive and recognizable enough "sound" that it can be labeled a proper genre.

But even post-punk and post-hardcore can be a little tricky, because the "sound" of those categories are a bit more vaguely defined.