Post your band info/music recordings here

What do you think?

• Good, I like it.

Votes: 30 69.8%
  • Nah! Its totally disaster.

Votes: 13 30.2%

• Total voters
It sounds pretty cool. Why do you need advice? The only thing that should matter is if you are satisfied with it. If you're not 100% satisfied, then I guess you need to go back and work on the parts you feel are lacking.

I really need your advice on how to make this song better:

I couldn't say much about how to make your song better. From what you gave us, I don't really like what I heard, overally. But you should try adding drum and bass, maybe it would be clearer for us to judge. I also heard some dissonances but I don't know if they're wanted (the final riff, for example). I guess it could sound good, but I really can't tell what are the things to change and I have no idea what you want it to look like. Asking to make it better is impossible, because everyone as a different notion of "better". Make your songs the way you feel them to be good, and if you don't think they're good, restart all over or change things that you're not sure about, litterally. Don't even hesitate. If you're not sure about a riff, erase it!

It is supposed to be something like a rock song with dark influences. And yes the dissonances are meant to be there. I am actually asking about the structure of the song: like should I do something about the bridge at 3:25.

My main problem with your song is that the chords have no real musical direction; I felt most of it leads to nowhere. I watched the tab like 3 or 4 hours ago, so this is from memory: things like G - Bm - Bsus2 and Gm - G - F - Fm are what stood out to me in a negative way. I would advise you to come up with some kind of flow to the chords. Try to think like a pianist. Think about the bass notes and how they they can sound good in succession (quite like a 'melody'), or use the high notes in chords to form melodies and build chords around them. It doesn't have to be as strong as a I-V-I (like E - B7 - E) but I think a little confirmation of the tonic would do your songs good.

And +1 to Nasty Fire

edit: also if I remember correctly I only saw the basic chord shapes. A tool to help you out with making smoother basslines is inversions. You can play the third as a bass note, for example (Gm):

e|----
B|-8--
G|-7--
D|-5--
A|-x--
E|-6--

Move your middle finger up one fret (E,6 to E,7) to raise the third, effectively make it a major chord.

^ +1

That's something I agreed when listening. The chords just don't seem to make sense together. Maybe if there was lyrics over them, or a melody, it would seem more significant. For now, it doesn't. It reminds me of Burden (through it's very different) when Mikael talks about it in an interview, he says that the chords for the verses were pretty random, he didn't know why he used that, but as we know, with the lyrics over them (and keyboard), it sounds VERY well. One other problem about the chords you're using, is that there seems to be two part (two verses?) where you use them, but one part is totally different from the other, and again it's hard to find a sense in it.

Thanks for the advices you two. I just didn't the thing with a chord sounding like two.

I think he mean't like.. having a basic melody for your chords, like... have you played accoustic guitar? With your thumb you do the bass and the other fingers the chords. This way you can make a melody with the bass while playing chords. Now that you have your "melody", put out the bass notes and play full chords. Something like that.

You can also start (like Gustav said..) with a main melody, and simply build chords around it (guitar pro has a section for chords, you just need to know which note you're using and if you want it to be maj, min, 6,7, etc., I'm not a pro at chords). What's important is that you don't put random chords together (it seemed random). Like "oh this sounds cool, let's put it", I say no. "oh this set of chords sounds cool" I say yes! :rolleyes:

Samsara: Not to be a prick, but why does SMW get to have their own promotion thread but not other bands? Is there somekind of special arrangement going on here? :p
I don't think that SMW shouldn't get to have their thread left, i really like their latest release, great job Tom...but i think it's kinda fucked up that everything else gets moved to the post your shit thread.

Holy Crap!

Not to dredge up old shit, but I know Waz in real life. I play in a band in Austin as well. As soon as I saw the PEAC EOUT thing, I cracked up.

Samsara: Not to be a prick, but why does SMW get to have their own promotion thread but not other bands? Is there somekind of special arrangement going on here? :p
I don't think that SMW shouldn't get to have their thread left, i really like their latest release, great job Tom...but i think it's kinda fucked up that everything else gets moved to the post your shit thread.

if i didn't post in the thread and others created it/bumped it then it seems it has a right to stay, but if i post in it then because im a regular member it should go in the promo thread..... not sure, sam's call.

I hadn't heard your stuff before today, Tom. Just downloaded the EP though, and it's some great stuff. Got any pressings still available to purchase?

Cheers! yes, still a few left, send us an email - sleepmakeswaves [ at ] gmail [ dot ] [ com ]