Power chords: index-ring, or index-pinky?

MarcusGHedwig

Mar 21, 2010
New York
www.myspace.com
Discuss - I've always done index-ring (and in general just always been dogmatically obsessive about "positions", in terms of 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc. position, with one finger per fret), can't decide whether I should work on breaking the habit or not

It depends on the chords I play after the power chord, really. But most of the time, it is index-pinky

Always index-pinky, but if it's all important that the octave rings out clearly, say if I'm playing arepggios, then I'll play index, ring and pinky.

Im super strict about it with myself, and its so natural to me : always always pinky. Its easier to be clean
This way cause the finger has more weight on the string, and when playing live your hand can be nailed to the
Neck whatever your are doing would it be running. A more natural position in the end.

It is a bit like being strictly up/down picking while playing scales. Seems harder at first but you find it more natural if you go beyond that.

You can play very tight without it but I see no reason not to.

Im super strict about it with myself, and its so natural to me : always always pinky. Its easier to be clean
This way cause the finger has more weight on the string, and when playing live your hand can be nailed to the
Neck whatever your are doing would it be running. A more natural position in the end.

It is a bit like being strictly up/down picking while playing scales. Seems harder at first but you find it more natural if you go beyond that.

You can play very tight without it but I see no reason not to.

As far as scales go, I think it depends. Strict alternate picking works well for 8th and 16th note runs, perhaps in a chromatic fashion or when there are logical groups of even numbers on a string, but economy picking is by far the most logical picking technique to adapt if you're playing perhaps 3 notes per string triplets. Well I think so anyway. It's just comes naturally me to do so and strict alternate picking would require a lot more concentration.

I guess what I'm saying, and what a few others have said, it really does depend what's coming next, what came before etc... in every sense of playing from chords to lead.

Discuss - I've always done index-ring (and in general just always been dogmatically obsessive about "positions", in terms of 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc. position, with one finger per fret), can't decide whether I should work on breaking the habit or not

Assuming I'm interpreting what you saying correctly, why would you want to bunch up your middle and ring finger to play a power chord? I don't see the benefit but can see some disadvantages.

From a classical stand point it's all about position playing. Granted this has a lot to do with reading, but the mechanics behind it are simple. If you need to compress the fingers closer together or extend them further apart, one finger per fret is most economical. If you can't reach from there then you need to change positions or stretch. If you hand is compressed then you're starting from a position that requires you to reach when you may not need to.

Assuming I'm interpreting what you saying correctly, why would you want to bunch up your middle and ring finger to play a power chord? I don't see the benefit but can see some disadvantages.

From a classical stand point it's all about position playing. Granted this has a lot to do with reading, but the mechanics behind it are simple. If you need to compress the fingers closer together or extend them further apart, one finger per fret is most economical. If you can't reach from there then you need to change positions or stretch. If you hand is compressed then you're starting from a position that requires you to reach when you may not need to.

Actually, I didn't mention my middle-finger at all, but to rephrase, assuming we're talking simply a 5th power-chord without the octave (well, "power-harmony" I guess, since technically it can't be called a chord with only two notes, but man does that sound gay :lol: ) using only two fingers, I was wondering whether more folks used their index and ring finger (which would follow the position system) or index and pinky, which I seem to see a lot (and judging by the responses here is more popular)

He means a root-fifth power chord, which is more or less a double stop, but calling it that sounds retarded. :lol:

For root fifth, I'm index + pinky unless the pinky is going to be used for 5th's, 7th's, 9th's, etc.

sure it can. it's not a triad, but any harmony can be referred to as a chord.

I was always told the definition of a chord is based on 3 notes, namely root, 3rd, 5th, either major or minor.

I guess sus chords aren't technically chords either since they hold no major or minor tonality like power chords?

But then is a root and 3rd a chord? Or a 3rd and 5th since they only contain two notes but suggest the tonality....?

I'm confused now.