Power chords: index-ring, or index-pinky?

Index/ring, because it's more comfortable, and it leaves my pinky free to do other things, like adding the octave.

[UEAK]Clowd;9523594 said:
index-ring because I too am obsessed with the one-finger-per-fret "rule"

But how would you play, say an open D Major chord? You most likely wouldn't barre the second fret, you'd use your index and middle finger on the second fret, or an open E Minor chord, you'd use 2 fingers on the same fret, not barre it.

I don't see how the finger per fret rule applies to chords because it doesn't.

You take the most comfortable way of doing things.

Index & ring makes way more sense to me unless you have a baritone scale guitar where the pinky's natural position might be closer down on the lower frets.

Why would you want to use your pinky (3rd finger after index) for a note only 2 frets above what your index is fretting?

Either way, do whatever you feel is more comfortable. There are numerous amazing players out there who have plenty of quirks about their playing style that people find weird.

I was always told the definition of a chord is based on 3 notes, namely root, 3rd, 5th, either major or minor.

I guess sus chords aren't technically chords either since they hold no major or minor tonality like power chords?

But then is a root and 3rd a chord? Or a 3rd and 5th since they only contain two notes but suggest the tonality....?

I'm confused now.

* Also, since a harmony can be a single lead line and is only harmonised once it's placed on top of other instruments, by definition aren't you saying that a single note can be a chord?

I'm drinking heavily waiting for a download to finish, sorry if I'm not making any sense! lol

any collection of two or more notes can be called a chord. what you're thinking of, where there are three notes in stacked thirds, are triads, probably the most common form of chord.

sus chords are chords. a root and a third is a chord, also called a "diad" (like triad with "di" for "two"). if you only had a third and fifth, that'd just a minor third, or minor diad.

i don't really get that last question.

Index & ring makes way more sense to me unless you have a baritone scale guitar where the pinky's natural position might be closer down on the lower frets.

Why would you want to use your pinky (3rd finger) for a note(s) only 2 frets above what your index is fretting?

Either way, do whatever you feel is more comfortable. There are numerous amazing players out there who have plenty of quirks about their playing style that people find weird.

Like Marty Friedman...

Not his chord technique but his picking style. To me it looks like he's just picked up a guitar for the first time. It looks so incredibly awkward and a bad technique. It actually makes me feel a little queasy for some reason. Of course, you can't argue with the results though!

any collection of two or more notes can be called a chord. what you're thinking of, where there are three notes in stacked thirds, are triads, probably the most common form of chord.

sus chords are chords. a root and a third is a chord, also called a "diad" (like triad with "di" for "two"). if you only had a third and fifth, that'd just a minor third, or minor diad.

i don't really get that last question.

Yeah, never mind the last bit it doesn't really make sense.

I can kinda see what I mean in my own pedantic head, but I deleted it from the original post. lol.

I think it's time for bed :p

with drop D tuning using C as root note on 10th fret I can play most of the normal chords I use with very little effort:

-D-A-D-G-B-E-
-10-10-10-x-x-x- C 5: index on 10th fret on 4th 5th and 6th strings (+ 12th fret on 3rd string)
-10-10-12-x-x-x- C sus 2: index + ring 12th fret 4th string
-10-10-13-x-x-x- C minor: index + ring 13th fret 4th string
-10-10-14-x-x-x- C major: index + pinky 14th fret 4th string
-10-10-15-x-x-x- C sus 4: index + pinky 15th fret 4th string
-10-14-14-x-x-x- C maj 7: index + pinky 14th fret 4th + pinky 14th fret 5th string
-10-13-14-x-x-x- C 7: index + middle 13th fret 5th string + ring 14th fret 4th string

Then I just move them about up and down the neck depending on what chord I want

Index/ring, because it's more comfortable, and it leaves my pinky free to do other things, like adding the octave.

+1

I'd like to know what the benefits of index/pinky are though because I've never encountered a situation where index/ring wasn't working right. I always thought people did it just because in felt more comfortable to them or because they thought it looked cooler.

I was doing index+ ring because I was always playing 3 note powerchords like
--
--
--

Then I saw Petrucci play with his pinky so I started doing that. But I'm still shifting and changing for what comes after that power chord or If I do a bigger chord.

Interesting thread. When I started playing at ~ 13 I used my pinkey because my hands weren't big enough to use my ring finger. When my hands grew a little bit and I started watching other guitarists play I noticed that every single one of them used their ring finger so I switched. I had no idea there were so many pinkey power chord warriors out there...

I'm probably doing index/ring 70% of the time and index/pinky 30%. As others have said, it really depends on the chord progression and that's what dictates it for me.

Index-Ring always,

I just picked up the nearest guitar just now and tried the Index-Pinky,
frankly it feels retarded and I can't see any advantages, but quite a few disadvantages.
If you've got your pinky holding down the 5th, how are you supposed to add 6ths, 7ths, 9ths and octaves on the fly without switching to Index-Ring momentarily?

Index-Ring always,

I just picked up the nearest guitar just now and tried the Index-Pinky,
frankly it feels retarded and I can't see any advantages, but quite a few disadvantages.
If you've got your pinky holding down the 5th, how are you supposed to add 6ths, 7ths, 9ths and octaves on the fly without switching to Index-Ring momentarily?

I just did the same thing and came to the same conclusion. What where talking about is esentially an E shape chord. Playing the 5th with the pinky IMO doesn't really work when you start playing other E shape chords, major, minor, 7th, etc.

Actually, I didn't mention my middle-finger at all, but to rephrase, assuming we're talking simply a 5th power-chord without the octave

Yep, where on the same page.

... I was wondering whether more folks used their index and ring finger (which would follow the position system) or index and pinky, which I seem to see a lot (and judging by the responses here is more popular)

To be honest I've never notice anyone using the pinky or even heard of it until now.