Power chords: index-ring, or index-pinky?

Skinny Viking said:
I do believe all those bass power chord parts in Children of the Sea were written by someone else ...

If you're a man, its because I let you be one :Smokedev:

Yeah the lamest part of the song no doubt hahaha I was referring more to doing octave jumps, like in Dream Theater's Under a Glass moon (bass is FULL of octave jumping) on the very first frets, alternating index (for root) and ring (for octave). Of course I also do 5th chords index+ring and use the pinky for the octave if it applies. I personally always go for the standard "4 frets 4 fingers" rule, if my index is on fret 1, then whenever I use fret 2 I use middle, for fret 3 index and for fret 4 pinky. Of course it varies if the scale/line goes out of those intervals

293.ad.JamesHetfield.030909.jpg

chuck-schuldiner.jpg

Uh-oh

Hell, I used to do Index finger, Middle finger and Ring finger for power chords with the octave note.

For the root and 5th (Diad, two note power chord, whatever you will), I tend to use both depending on the situation, but probably over 85 per cent of the time I used Index+Little.

There is no right or wrong, but for 90% of people, index and pinkie for root+5th dyads is best for them. It allows your hand to be in the most relaxed, natural, and comfortable position, which in turn leads to better performing. Of course, it depends on where you are going or coming from too. Just do whatever makes you most relaxed.

Damn...thought I was an oddball since I do index-pinky 90% of the time. I play a lot of power chords on bass in my current band, and it's definitely more natural feeling to do index-pinky for chords on bass due to the extended scale. Before playing bass, I was strictly index-ring but the habit has found its way into my guitar playing.

for the root and 5th power chord, index and ring

with the octave added i use index ring and pinky, with some exceptions.

I do alot of alternating between 5th, minor 6th, and major 6th power chords so in that case it is easier to have the pinky available for switching

Sometimes when i do allternating between regular 2 note 5th power chords and Major 6th I have to use index, middle and pinky, especially on the lower frets

for example, alternating between:

4-----6
2 ----2

Its easier for me to do index on 2nd fret, middle on 4th and pinky on 6th

I'm gonna give my .02 on this.

I've taught guitar for a good while now, to kids, teens, MILFS, grandpa's, all kind of people. I didn't kept track of the number, but I had a big bunch of students over time, and this is my actual job.
Mostly for kids, it is wayyy easier to go with index-pinky, because the frets are too far wide from each other in the lower part of the neck for them. I also saw women with too small hands to be comfortable putting 1 finger per fret (say from frets 1-7).
But with all the other students I have, I always teach them that there's no right or wrong way to do ANY chord, and the worst thing you can do as a guitar player is to get to think there's always 1 "good" fingering for every chord.
Speaking strictly power chords since I don't want to get off-topic (plus, I could talk guitar all day, lol) it all depends on the chord progression.
For example, there's some Megadeth songs you'd have 30 times the amount of work to put in if you'd stick to, say index-pinky, because Dave uses both Index-ring AND 2nd finger-pinky in the same riff, because that makes the song easier to play. It's all about economy of movement and ergonomy, and the worst thing you could do is know/use only 1 fingering. To me, this sounds as stupid as trying to do a whole mix based on an "amazing" guitar tone sounds stupid to you, you all AE out here.

I just do whatever feels more comfortable at the time. 2-note power chords low on the neck probably index-pinky. Anything involving more notes always index-ring (the whole step between 3rd chords, 3-note power chords, minor chords). I can "bar" a chord better with my ring finger than trying to jam my ring and pinky together.

How does it look uncomfortable? you don't have to do anything other than apply pressure, whereas using the ring finger means you have to splay your fingers

and the photos were to address the claim that no-one ever uses their pinky unless they're noobs

A lot of it has to do with the actual mechanical construction of the hand, too. Given my hand size and finger thickness, using the index and pinkie on even the 1st and 3rd frets would mean cramming my fingers together. For others, it's a perfect fit.

To add the octave to a power chord, I just roll my ring fingertip so it covers both strings. It's interesting how people differ as far as this stuff goes.

...To add the octave to a power chord, I just roll my ring fingertip so it covers both strings. It's interesting how people differ as far as this stuff goes.

Exactly what I do. Though I have skinny fingers. Perfectly comfortable for me. It's the only way I've ever known. The pinky is only a last resort for me, when the stretch is just too big.

depends on the guitar now. i was always index-ring until i had a 27" scale 7 string for a while. the stretch was rough below the 5th position, so i started using index-pinky. i got rid of that guitar, but now i use index-pinky on my 25.5's for 5th position and below. on my les paul, always index-ring. in either case, i always use the flat of the same finger i'm using for the 5th to fret the octave.

I think what it comes down is the hand/finger size, and maybe, for some, looking cool (supposedly) while playing power chords.

After reading this thread I tried using my pinky but it's really uncomfortable, it feels like I'm cramming all my fingers together. It seems like for some of you it comes natural because of your hand size. Plus, some of you already admitted that the only reason was because you saw one of your favorite guitarists doing it.

I really can't think of any other reason why someone would/should use the pinky for power chords. I can't really see any benefits, it's just more comfortable for some.