Power Metal

Virgin Steele is probably my favourite power metal band. I enjoy a couple of others too like old Helloween, some Blind Guardian, Jag Panzer and ofcourse... FINIST! :p

many people have called Rhapsody and Edguy power metal, but i guess they are melodic power metal

Melodic Power Metal is the name given to keyboard driven bands, typically Finnish most of the time (eg: Sonata Arctica).

Rhapsody use keyboards, but they play Symphonic/Neoclassical Metal. Edguy are Traditional Heavy/Speed/Power Metal, although Theater of Salvation was a symphonic album, to an extent.

Have either of you ever heard

Helstar - Nosferatu
Omen - Battle Cry
Jag Panzer - Ample Destruction
Attacker - Battle At Helm's Deep
Fates Warning - Awaken The Guardian

?

Have either of you ever heard

Helstar - Nosferatu
Omen - Battle Cry
Jag Panzer - Ample Destruction
Attacker - Battle At Helm's Deep
Fates Warning - Awaken The Guardian

?

I've heard Fates Warning somewhere, but none of the other ones. how are these? hopefully they don't contain what I deplore in power metal, like symphonic orchestrations, annoying falsetto vocals and ridiculous lyrics about fairies and dragons. I have no problem with clean vocals if they're done tastefully. melody is ok, again done tastefully. I don't want to hear masturbatory Dragonforce-style crap. something thrash-y but somewhat melodic.

to use an analogy, something similar like say, Testament crossed with Judas Priest. I could go for that.

Well I take it you haven't explored power metal very thoroughly. You are basically judging the genre based on the stereotypes. There are some real quality bands if you look hard enough.

Well I take it you haven't explored power metal very thoroughly. You are basically judging the genre based on the stereotypes. There are some real quality bands if you look hard enough.

there is this one band I've heard of called At War, basically its been classified as power/thrash and is similar to what I'm looking for.

this Helstar is decent, kinda thrashy Iron Maiden-style stuff, haven't heard the Omen stuff yet.

i'm mainly into the euro power metal scene my fav's r :-

iron savior
avantasia (1 + 2 )
heavenly
helloween ( kiske era )
rhapsody
gamma ray
edguy
intense
luca turilli solo ( 1st 2 album's)
allen/lande ( together or lande solo stuff )

and bout 100+ more but don't want to bore u all

all i can say is give it a go and alway's keep looking , u never know what u will find out there:headbang: :headbang: :loco: :loco: