Power Metal

dude, i hate singers that wanna look like girls... to be a great singer they should learn with Dio or Gillan or JSS, but i guess melo power metal singers wanna be Celine Dion

headbang.gif

Changing subject, who do you consider to be the first Power Metal band? I have always thought of different bands but I am never certain.

Rainbow was a heavy metal band that had a large focus on synths which contains some qualities of power metal.

Dio left the band and started his own band Dio, which was sorta the basic traditional metal but lyrical content with some fantasy type stuff, though a large say against religion.

Most say Iron Maiden but I feel they are NWOBHM, with a general heavy metal sound. They did contribute to power metal with the dual guitar solos and soaring vocals. They only started to be more Power Metal by Seventh Son which was far after the conjuring of the genre.

Helloween is power no doubt. Their soaring vocals, classic metal feel with great melody, epic choruses and songs, their focus on shredding solos, all make the power metal feel. If these previous bands were not the first power metal band, then Helloween would certainly be the one.

So I just want to know which, do you think, were the first power metal band.

Helloween is power no doubt. Their soaring vocals, classic metal feel with great melody, epic choruses and songs, their focus on shredding solos, all make the power metal feel. If these previous bands were not the first power metal band, then Helloween would certainly be the one.

So I just want to know which, do you think, were the first power metal band.
I wouldn't consider Helloween in the running becaus to me their first album was actually one of the best speed metal albums. I consider the first power metal band to actually be Jag Panzer and all those other bands were simply influential and were kinda mixed with the actually birth of Power Metal.

Translation = I hate people who actually sing, I want to hear a couple of homos grunt.

thats an unfair assesment. I like bands like Judas Priest and Saint Vitus, do they grunt? no, they don't. granted, either style of singing requires talent, but I usually don't listen to music that doesn't have ties to punk rock. that includes avant-garde doom and experimental jazz as well. power metal has no punk influence, so it doesn't really appeal to me.

You are the biggest fucking hypocrite on this board. Unearth yourself from that mound of grindcore shit and listen to something out of your comfort zone, you elitist fuck.

why would I listen to music that makes me uncomfortable? I might as well listen to elevator music.

I wouldn't consider Helloween in the running becaus to me their first album was actually one of the best speed metal albums. I consider the first power metal band to actually be Jag Panzer and all those other bands were simply influential and were kinda mixed with the actually birth of Power Metal.

oh yeah, Walls of Jericho are certainly more speed metal than anything. I sometimes forget about that. But the Keeper of the Seven Keys part I and II are very much power metal.

Jag Panzer is certainly before Helloween, dont know why I forgot about them. :/ but what about Rainbow? Would you say they are power metal or just provided some influences?

Rainbow was obviously influential, but I wouldn't consider them purely Heavy Metal, let alone Power Metal.

why would I listen to music that makes me uncomfortable? I might as well listen to elevator music.

You may eventually like it and perhaps it will change your perspectives. Such viewpoints are why I delved into harsh metal in the first place. If I thought "oh my god this is gay homos grunting and no melody blech" and remained adverse to anything heavier than Blind Guardian, who knows where I'd be today.

Much less informed, that's for certain.

I dunno, but even PM has a lot of variety, I just can't understand why so many think all bands sing about dragons and have high pitched voices. Yes, there are Dragons, but it is generally restricted to Symphonic Power Metal.

Not that I have a problem with Dragons or high pitched vocals anyway. Its well crafted music, very artistic and classically inclined. Don't judge it all by Dragonforce.