Powerfest Review

We generally draw between 400-600 when we play here in Portland, depending on day of the week it is. Since we have never played Chicago AND we appear to have a ton of fans in the midwest who seem willing to travel, do you still think an Agalloch/Nov Doom/etc (maybe Velnias?) Chicago gig would be a failure if it was on a weekend?

We've been debating whether a one-off gig in Chicago is worth it since we'd have to fly there...

JH

Not to steal the conversation but that's the kind of lineup I'd love to support. And it's the kind of lineup that should do a few more than just a one off show.

putting aside the obvious self-interest band crap here, for years I have been into only a select few US metal acts including Agalloch and Novembers Doom, which although quite different from each other, to me, represent a metal bands with similar values and a broad spectrum of music I like. and they have never come together in a proper fashion as far as I know.. assuming that there are more people out there like me (not bloody likely I'm afraid, maybe I'm a pessimist in that regard?) this would have a potential to be a successfull endeavour.

We generally draw between 400-600 when we play here in Portland, depending on day of the week it is. Since we have never played Chicago AND we appear to have a ton of fans in the midwest who seem willing to travel, do you still think an Agalloch/Nov Doom/etc (maybe Velnias?) Chicago gig would be a failure if it was on a weekend?

We've been debating whether a one-off gig in Chicago is worth it since we'd have to fly there...

JH

If you are in Agalloch....yeah..there is lots and lots of Chicago fans who I know would show up. Every other week at Metal Haven someone is buying your CD's.

I speak the truth when I say a Novembers Doom / Agalloch (co-headlining set of equal length ) would be a HUGE draw. It would sell out at Reggies I think at least the day of the show. The key thing is getting the word out as a 1 off show and really pushing it. Dont forget that most shows in the Chicagoland area sell better day of the show. Most people do walk up than pre-sale. Like I said...this show needs to be at a Chicago location. At Pearl Room it would be the same 100 people and it would look more empty even at say 400. At a place like Reggies (which has amazing sound from what I heard from bands ) would be packed at 400 to 500 which would be cool as hell. It would have to be a saturday night too. I am not just blowing smoke up your asses. Having a strong line up of 3 bands.....4 at most would be a solid thing...even have something like Nov Doom / Agalloch / Gwynebleeid / Velinas or chicago's Earthen Grave.

This would draw a lot of out of towners too who would come in for sure to see this show. Lets make this happen. There are zero metal shows this summer in Chicago....this could help draw the interest even more.

Lets get the ball rolling......

if an Agalloch/ND/Velnias (fucking great band) show in Chicago were to be a one-off, i'd fly out to see it. add one more band, and I'd be all-in... Woods of Ypres, Mourning Beloveth, My Dying Bride.... convince MDB to do the gig and it would sell out if its announced months and months in advance (book it for August and announce it in January), on a saturday, in the city... mmmm

if an Agalloch/ND/Velnias (fucking great band) show in Chicago were to be a one-off, i'd fly out to see it. add one more band, and I'd be all-in... Woods of Ypres, Mourning Beloveth, My Dying Bride.... convince MDB to do the gig and it would sell out if its announced months and months in advance (book it for August and announce it in January), on a saturday, in the city... mmmm

thanks Will.

See, people would travel for a show this special.

I would travel through RAIN and FALLING SNOW to see NOVEMBERS DOOM and AGALLOCH!!! :)

With Chicago, any underground metal show needs heavy advertising.
Flyering is a must.
Just a couple weeks ago, Dantesco played in the city.
There was literally one flyer for it at Metal Haven and that was it.

With advance planning and heavy promotion, an ND / Agalloch gig would do well.
Add on a band like Nachtmystium, and you have a nice cross sell of fans from multiple genres, as well as fans who would come out simply because its a great package.

There is tons of talk of the upcoming Pentragram Nachtmystium show.
On paper at first it may seem like a head scratcher, but when you step back and think about it, that show will and should appeal to all fans of dark metal.

Let's make it happen! I will happily help promote.

My Dying Bride.... convince MDB to do the gig and it would sell out if its announced months and months in advance
Oh man..........
Speaking of MDB, I recently saw a flyer online from when they did the short US tour with DIO.

They played Champaign, IL where I went to college literally like weeks after I graduated. ARRGGG!! Though to be honest, this was 1997, and I only knew them by name at that timeframe.

If you are in Agalloch....yeah..there is lots and lots of Chicago fans who I know would show up. Every other week at Metal Haven someone is buying your CD's.

I speak the truth when I say a Novembers Doom / Agalloch (co-headlining set of equal length ) would be a HUGE draw. It would sell out at Reggies I think at least the day of the show. The key thing is getting the word out as a 1 off show and really pushing it. Dont forget that most shows in the Chicagoland area sell better day of the show. Most people do walk up than pre-sale. Like I said...this show needs to be at a Chicago location. At Pearl Room it would be the same 100 people and it would look more empty even at say 400. At a place like Reggies (which has amazing sound from what I heard from bands ) would be packed at 400 to 500 which would be cool as hell. It would have to be a saturday night too. I am not just blowing smoke up your asses. Having a strong line up of 3 bands.....4 at most would be a solid thing...even have something like Nov Doom / Agalloch / Gwynebleeid / Velinas or chicago's Earthen Grave.

This would draw a lot of out of towners too who would come in for sure to see this show. Lets make this happen. There are zero metal shows this summer in Chicago....this could help draw the interest even more.

Lets get the ball rolling......

An intimate venue (400-500 capacity) with good sound and an all ages possibility is ideal. That is pretty much what Berbati's Pan (our favorite local venue) is. A fierce fog machine set-up and a curtain would also be a plus, otherwise I guess we can rent two fog machines in the city. We really seemed to have vastly improved as a live act in the last couple years with the addition of Aesop so I think it is a really good time to finally bring it to the midwest. Maybe something can be worked out this year. I'm actually really excited to play some new US shows for a change.

In the meantime Aesop's other band Ludicra will be playing in the midwest in August. Brace yourselves.

JH

My Dying Bride.... convince MDB to do the gig and it would sell out if its announced months and months in advance
Oh man..........
Speaking of MDB, I recently saw a flyer online from when they did the short US tour with DIO.

They played Champaign, IL where I went to college literally like weeks after I graduated. ARRGGG!! Though to be honest, this was 1997, and I only knew them by name at that timeframe.

Yes I believe MDB would draw from all over the country if they played Chicago.

Paul & I saw bride, totally blew off Dio, to busy chatting with Andy
:hotjump:

An intimate venue (400-500 capacity) with good sound and an all ages possibility is ideal. That is pretty much what Berbati's Pan (our favorite local venue) is. A fierce fog machine set-up and a curtain would also be a plus, otherwise I guess we can rent two fog machines in the city. We really seemed to have vastly improved as a live act in the last couple years with the addition of Aesop so I think it is a really good time to finally bring it to the midwest. Maybe something can be worked out this year. I'm actually really excited to play some new US shows for a change.

In the meantime Aesop's other band Ludicra will be playing in the midwest in August. Brace yourselves.

JH

If you really are interested....Reggies is the place. It hold about 500. Great sound from what I heard. They have a restraunt in there plus a record store upstairs. It is easy to get to by train and buses. I know the booker thier too so if this is something you are interested with Nov Doom...let me know. I can pass the info off.

I am not sure about curtains or a fog machine. I can ask.

I seriously think a Agalloch / Nov Doom / and another strong act....could really be a big draw here. Like I said before...there is nothing metal happening in the city all summer long. You could even get a hold of the guys in Bible of the Devil who do the Alehorn fest. this is at Double Door every end of summer. I know they are still booking it...they usually have SLough Feg play also.

But I would rather see a Agalloch / Nov Doom / Gwynbleidd show myself. With the right timing...on a saturday...it would be a big thing here. I would also may say something like the Chasm. You have a hispanic band playing...you will pack it in with thier crowd.

think about it......this could be an amazing show. If it happens someone should print up poster flyers to sell. At Alehorn they do this and it is pretty damn cool.

Also...Reggies is all ages.

If you really are interested....Reggies is the place. It hold about 500. Great sound from what I heard. They have a restraunt in there plus a record store upstairs. It is easy to get to by train and buses. I know the booker thier too so if this is something you are interested with Nov Doom...let me know. I can pass the info off.

I am not sure about curtains or a fog machine. I can ask.

I seriously think a Agalloch / Nov Doom / and another strong act....could really be a big draw here. Like I said before...there is nothing metal happening in the city all summer long. You could even get a hold of the guys in Bible of the Devil who do the Alehorn fest. this is at Double Door every end of summer. I know they are still booking it...they usually have SLough Feg play also.

But I would rather see a Agalloch / Nov Doom / Gwynbleidd show myself. With the right timing...on a saturday...it would be a big thing here. I would also may say something like the Chasm. You have a hispanic band playing...you will pack it in with thier crowd.

think about it......this could be an amazing show. If it happens someone should print up poster flyers to sell. At Alehorn they do this and it is pretty damn cool.

Also...Reggies is all ages.

We like to keep things well-packaged and tightly knit for sure. Like us and 2 or 3 other strong acts...quality bands we respect and we are friends with. We have FEN in mind also and I'm going to talk to Velnias when they play here at the end of the month. I guess we will see what is possible. I'll look into this Reggies place and tell our booking agent about it if he doesn't already know. A curtain would rule. Anytime we have the opportunity to use one, we insist on it! We added a new intro ritual piece to our set for the Euro tour we did in March. The Holland venue had a curtain. It was magical with the intro piece...

JH

We like to keep things well-packaged and tightly knit for sure. Like us and 2 or 3 other strong acts...quality bands we respect and we are friends with. We have FEN in mind also and I'm going to talk to Velnias when they play here at the end of the month. I guess we will see what is possible. I'll look into this Reggies place and tell our booking agent about it if he doesn't already know. A curtain would rule. Anytime we have the opportunity to use one, we insist on it! We added a new intro ritual piece to our set for the Euro tour we did in March. The Holland venue had a curtain. It was magical with the intro piece...

JH

Cool...2 or 3 bands is the way to go....you are not getting the crowd to drunk or tired yet. Brian Peterson is the guy who does the booking at Reggies.
Really worth looking into. I would love to see you guys and Novembers Doom play with another band. Both doing headlining sets too. that is the way to go. Where is Velnias playing this month?

Double Door would also be a good place for this show. Very nice place with great sound. Plus it is in the heart of the trendy music area.

I will ask my brother if they have a curtain on the stage at Reggies...he has played there a few times.

This seriously could be a pretty big event in the midwest here if this happens. This isnt me just saying it. You would have people coming in from all over for it. the cool thing is that at Reggies with it being close to the Red Line. You can get there from the Air Port via the Blue line (El Train) and transfer for free to the red line and a few stops later you are literally there. Plus with it being in the city...there is all sort of hotels and stuff. For out of towners there is lots of other things to do also. It isnt like the Pearl Room where they say Chicago...but it is like 45 minutes out of the city. this is right in the city.

As promised, what you have all been waiting for.........
Jasonic's legendary CRAPPY cell phone pics!!!
PFEST1-1.jpg

PFEST2-1.jpg

Ok since this seems to have sparked quite the debate/conversation I will expand further on my comments earlier so to hopefully be better understood....

Do I think a show like, for example, ND/Agalloch/Woods Of Ypres or something along those lines would do well here? Yes I do. Would I be into doing it? Yes I would. Is it easy to sell a decent Chicago city-area club on that idea and get them to give us a good weekend date, fair pay, and put some effort into the gig? Nope. Again, no offense Diabolik but you kinda talk like this isn't something we're smart enough to have considered, pursued, etc. countless times. I don't want to get into specific details but we were recently planning a show similar to this with a very nice lineup of bands, and we had TONS of trouble even getting these clubs to return our phone calls. Like I said in my previous post, the problem is not on our end, we are quite willing to do shows with good lineups and whatnot. It's getting the clubs and the promoters on board. Without them, what do we do? Book the local bingo hall? Sorry, we're not interested in that, and as you mentioned, one of the key elements is getting a booking at a good place in a good central location. And in order to bring in really good bands from other parts of the country, like Agalloch or WoY and so forth, we have to get some kind of money guarantee in order to make it financially feasable for those bands to travel here.

So John (Haughm), to answer your query, no I don't think Agalloch playing here would be a bad idea at all, and you know that we've discussed this possibility in the past and it's still a good idea that's on the table for whenever the right opportunity presents itself, should you guys still be interested. But we both know that it would be a huge letdown for the both of us, and the fans you guys have here, to play a shithole club on a lame night and get paid in beer nuts and Old Style to boot, LOL. You guys deserve way better than that, as do we, but the trick is finding the right promoters and venue here to get behind that idea. The promoters overseas seem to understand our collective worth, it's still a battle here it seems. Perhaps booking your own show as part of a tour with Fen or something might yield better results than trying to do it with us? Wouldn't surprise me. Noone here respects us or gives a flying fuck about us anyhow, with only a few exceptions.

I'm sorry if it seems that I have a nasty attitude about all of this......it's just that I get pretty tired of people acting like we're fucking clueless and inconsiderate like we never think of any of this stuff. This is ALL I fucking think about almost all of the time. We are constantly trying to figure out ways to get out there and play and make it worthwhile for not only you guys the fans, but also something interesting and fun for ourselves. And we get fucked over and letdown at almost every turn. Like I said before, that's why when an American promoter/fest like Powerfest or Heathen Crusade or Minneapolis metalfest, etc., comes along and works with us to do a show properly, we jump at the chance.

There's always someone saying we should do this or we'd be better off doing that, and so on.....well, tell you what? YOU go and make it happen, you work on setting up some badass shows in great clubs with other awesome bands (and NOT ask us to play for free, thank you) and we'll definitely talk. More than half of the time, it's a feat just getting someone to return our calls. I'm not kidding.

Cool...2 or 3 bands is the way to go....you are not getting the crowd to drunk or tired yet. Brian Peterson is the guy who does the booking at Reggies.
Really worth looking into. I would love to see you guys and Novembers Doom play with another band. Both doing headlining sets too. that is the way to go. Where is Velnias playing this month?

Double Door would also be a good place for this show. Very nice place with great sound. Plus it is in the heart of the trendy music area.

I will ask my brother if they have a curtain on the stage at Reggies...he has played there a few times.

This seriously could be a pretty big event in the midwest here if this happens. This isnt me just saying it. You would have people coming in from all over for it. the cool thing is that at Reggies with it being close to the Red Line. You can get there from the Air Port via the Blue line (El Train) and transfer for free to the red line and a few stops later you are literally there. Plus with it being in the city...there is all sort of hotels and stuff. For out of towners there is lots of other things to do also. It isnt like the Pearl Room where they say Chicago...but it is like 45 minutes out of the city. this is right in the city.

Velnias is going on a tour in the west coast I think, but if you're interested in them they're going to be playing here at the Matchitehew Assembly, though i don't think that show would fit your taste well lol.

The downside of the Double Door is that its 21+ and there are a decent amount of younger metalheads that would it would be worth it to have it at Reggies or some other all ages venue.

Ok since this seems to have sparked quite the debate/conversation I will expand further on my comments earlier so to hopefully be better understood....

Do I think a show like, for example, ND/Agalloch/Woods Of Ypres or something along those lines would do well here? Yes I do. Would I be into doing it? Yes I would. Is it easy to sell a decent Chicago city-area club on that idea and get them to give us a good weekend date, fair pay, and put some effort into the gig? Nope. Again, no offense Diabolik but you kinda talk like this isn't something we're smart enough to have considered, pursued, etc. countless times. I don't want to get into specific details but we were recently planning a show similar to this with a very nice lineup of bands, and we had TONS of trouble even getting these clubs to return our phone calls. Like I said in my previous post, the problem is not on our end, we are quite willing to do shows with good lineups and whatnot. It's getting the clubs and the promoters on board. Without them, what do we do? Book the local bingo hall? Sorry, we're not interested in that, and as you mentioned, one of the key elements is getting a booking at a good place in a good central location. And in order to bring in really good bands from other parts of the country, like Agalloch or WoY and so forth, we have to get some kind of money guarantee in order to make it financially feasable for those bands to travel here.

There's always someone saying we should do this or we'd be better off doing that, and so on.....well, tell you what? YOU go and make it happen, you work on setting up some badass shows in great clubs with other awesome bands (and NOT ask us to play for free, thank you) and we'll definitely talk. More than half of the time, it's a feat just getting someone to return our calls. I'm not kidding.

Hey...wasnt trying to say that you dont know what you are doing. It just makes my head spin that there are bands that have played great shows like this horrible Milwaukke band that opened up for Therion at HOB, and others in the same situation while you guys seem to get the shaft. Having been involved in putting shows together years back...I know what it takes and stuff. With metal currently on the rebound in popularity....it just stinks that people are still scared to book it. I know at Reggies they do metal shows. The had Nachmystsm, M.O.D., and a few others in the past few months there. it seems like they are more willing to get on board with different genres.

Beleive me...if I had the time to pull this off...I would try. I would definetly help spread the word and get flyers out and stuff if it happened. Not trying to step on peoples feet. In this economy new shoes are expensive.

bad idea. not enough planning time for people with financials such as mine. we would need a few more months.

i wonder if CRJ would be interested in the risk of this kind of one-night, one-off gig... less hotel rooms, less nights to secure a club for...