Powerful goth doom bands

rusofil

New Metal Member
Nov 25, 2019
After so many years (around 13, I think) of sticking to few old, good symphonic/goth metal bands, I came to conclusion there's only few bands that are REALLY worth of listening. I complained about it in my 2013 post (and much earlier too), I'm complaining now, in the end of 2019. But now I decided to move on (after finding out I won't find anything else I'd like to listen to, because 99% of symphonic metal bands sound the same and really childish to me). I still love symphonic music, so I looked around and laid my eyes on doom metal. Doom metal itself isn't my genre, so I found subgenre, gothic doom. I played few playlists on Youtube and well, while 1/10 songs is really good (there's delicacy of symphonic elements and there's growl and other sounds from hell), most of these sound just like mediocre gothic metal.
I randomly found Virgin Black and it's like, holy fuck, it's so fucking awesome! It's very symphonic and dark and this is what I needed. Also, Draconian, Estatic Fear, early Lacrimas Profundere and very early Anathema and The sins of thy beloved are very good.
Well, I hate random Google and Lastfm toplists (especially Lastfm after it was stripped of band similarity option) so I'm asking you. Based on what I already liked, can you give me other bands I'd like to listen to? I usually hate female fronted bands, as most of them sound the same, just like mediocre so called symphonic metal, but if there's something with powerful, female voices, I want it. But still I prefer male fronted bands.

Gothic doom seems to get pushed to the side more than most subgenres. So I sympathize you have few responses here. I think it can be hard to classify.... I'd not be surprised if some of these aren't technically considered. Basically anything vampiric or werewolfy? Without too much testosterone? Idk I gave up on fully understanding subgenres.

Only one there I'd take issue with is Lamented Souls, it's pretty much trad doom. But whatever it fucking rules so who cares.

Lemme shill these newer guys from Finland:

Gothic doom seems to get pushed to the side more than most subgenres. So I sympathize you have few responses here. I think it can be hard to classify.... I'd not be surprised if some of these aren't technically considered. Basically anything vampiric or werewolfy? Without too much testosterone? Idk I gave up on fully understanding subgenres.
Fuck, I need to revisit some classics. Awesome list!

Reactions: Carpe Mortem
I've always had the impression that gothic metal was a clean vocals dominated genre, is that not an identifying feature?

The beauty and the beast style codified by bands like Theatre of Tragedy, Tristania, The Sins of Thy Beloved, et al. has a mix of clean and harsh vocals as a defining feature, owing do the death-doom influence of the Peaceville bands.

The beauty and the beast style codified by bands like Theatre of Tragedy, Tristania, The Sins of Thy Beloved, et al. has a mix of clean and harsh vocals as a defining feature, owing do the death-doom influence of the Peaceville bands.

Ahhhhhh yes I forgot about the beauty and the beast thing.