PP USA X: Major roster changes

Harvester

The Promoter
Sep 16, 2001
www.progpowerusa.com
After nine shows, I think I have earned everyone's trust and the right to speak brutally honest. In fact, I think this is what most fans want to hear: the truth. Nobody wants to hear another lame two sentence explanation about “visa problems.” I will not hide behind anything.

I have been doing my own visa applications since ProgPower USA IV for 75% of the roster. Hiring a professional company to do the visas for a single performance is prohibitive due to costs. Imagine paying $36,000 just for visas up front before any other expense is incurred. The process has become so convoluted and intricate that it pushes me to insanity’s edge at times. However, I have had no choice but to suck it up and deal with it in order to maintain the festival. I have never had a problem prior to this year with obtaining visas for bands that I have applied for myself. Think of how many bands that is over the last six years. This is the same model used by other successful festivals such as NEARfest. However, this year has left me questioning whether or not to continue with the festival after 2010.

We started the visa application process back in early May. It takes three weeks to obtain approval from AFM (American Federation of Musicians). Once that approval is obtained, you send it in along with your 40+ pages of paperwork for governmental processing. There is a 90 day window for this decision process. I received approval for the majority of the bands in early June. The process was moving regularly. I then received a request for “further information” on the remaining four bands in mid-June. That has happened once before about four years ago and I resolved it quickly. I scrambled and sent in an additional 25 pages of documentation including peer letters, reviews, etc. for each band in order to prove the designation request that I have always used.

I just received notification on Monday that the visa applications for Andre Matos, Vanden Plas, Tomorrow's Eve, and Power Quest were denied.

Each individual case is reviewed by one person at the visa processing center. Evidently, if you get the right person, you have no problems. You get the wrong person and you get rejected. It’s as simple as that. There is no possible way to speak to any officer directly involved with your case to clarify, ask questions, etc. There is absolutely no method to the madness. How else can you explain how the remaining bands were approved with the standard documentation compared to the other bands that with more that failed? How else can you explain that I have never had a problem in the past using the exact same process and documentation? I have even had a situation in the past with half of a band approved (different nationality/consul) and the other half rejected initially based on the exact SAME documentation. Yes, you read that correctly. That proves that no two screeners follow the same reviewing standards.

Recently, there have been numerous articles on this same problem that all promoters are experiencing. I invite you to read the following article that describes this nightmare process:

http://thephoenix.com/Boston/News/63473-Immigrant-song/?page=2

I could appeal the cases. That costs an additional $700 per case and has a 30-60 day time frame for a decision. That would probably be money wasted as it is too close to the festival date with absolute no guarantees. In the case of Matos & Vanden Plas, I did seek out a professional consultation and was willing to pay the additional costs to get the processing completed within 30 days. They would seek out the a different designation that is used in all touring situations. I was going to do whatever it took to get them here. However, I just heard back from them and they do not believe it would be a quick and easy case based on the previous denial of the designation that I have been using for the past six years! The visa consultants told me I have been "lucky." Evidently, I have been lucky for six years straight? If someone would have failed me previously, I would have done things a different way this year. I had no reason to believe otherwise. Even if the band was approved, there is no guarantee the visas would be received until mid-August. That would leave the bands only 2-3 weeks to complete their interview processes in their own country. In most countries, you must have the approval in hand before you even schedule your interviews. Once again, there would be no guarantees even if I spent an additional $5,000 per band on every possible last ditch attempt.

These bands did nothing wrong. I attempted to play by the rules and the government’s process failed me. A quick google search will find that I am not alone. I cannot wait until the last minute to fix this and risk further cancellations; nor will I do anything illegal to get a band in the country. That is not fair to the bands or to the fans. Each of these bands will be brought back in the future using a different process and designation. That is the only fair thing to do. I do not see this as a problem for the bands in the future. We are simply out of time for this year.

I take pride in my work. I take pride in doing things the right way. I take pride in this festival. I take pride in being honest with the fans who are family to me. This situation has hit me hard and caused me many sleepless nights. I sincerely apologize to everyone. All I can say is that I promise to do my best in the future to prevent this from happening again. I will make a decision on continuing the festival in 2011 based on how smoothly 2010 goes. I simply cannot have this happen again.

That said, the show must go on…

Crimson Glory has been selected as the new headliner for Friday night. This will be the band's tribute show to honor and commemorate the musical legacy left behind by their recently departed brethren, Midnight. Wade Black, along with several guest vocalists, will join the band on stage to perform classics from the band's entire career. The band promises to make this a once in a lifetime show.

Brazil's MindFlow (with approved visas!) will take over the second slot on the first night of the show. The critically acclaimed progressive metal band will be debuting material from their upcoming release at the show.

American power metallers, Cage, will bring their crushing style of metal to the opening slot of the festival. Their most recent album, "Science of Annhilation," continues to draw rave reviews from media all over the world.

Shane Dubose will announce his replacement for Vanden Plas within the next two weeks.

Thank you for all of your support and understanding.

Glenn

Last edited by a moderator:
Totally understand that situation Glenn, as sucky as it is, its not yours nor the bands fault, it sucks that there is no work around with such sort time, they really need to rework the visa issues for artists. Same thing happened with Angra at BARfest in 2007. I really cant believe that Vanden Plas cant get in a 3rd time, something is really wrong there though... Damn I think I may never see them live...

I got my plane tix today :headbang:

PS: People are going to freak when they see Crimson Glory live!!!!

Bear

Man. Sorry to hear that you have to go through such a mess. Being a government employee of sorts, I can imagine the headaches you deal with. Beaurocracy can be a royal pain in the ass. As disappointed as I may be that I will not be seeing Vanden Plas and Matos this year, You have never disappointed me in the past. And I will finally get to see Crimson Glory! (I will sure miss Midnight, tho) Cage and Mindflow are also a plus as Lance King turned me on to those bands at the fest last year. Here's hoping things go a little smoother for you from here on out...

After nine shows, I think I have earned everyone's trust and the right to speak brutally honest. In fact, I think this is what most fans want to hear: the truth. Nobody wants to hear another lame two sentence explanation about “visa problems.” I will not hide behind anything.

You're absolutely right about the truth being best, and you have no reason to hide behind anything. You've done an I-N-C-R-E-D-I-B-L-E job running this festival, handled problems smoothly and professionally, and continue putting together a top-notch show. Consistently.

While I'm VERY disappointed with losing VP, Matos, and TE (I'm not a PQ fan), the simple fact is that it's beyond your control. Shit happens, unfortunately, and you've recovered admirably, and put together quality replacements, as you've done before. There will be more than a few people more excited about the replacements than the original bands.

But, you're also gonna see a LOT of disappointment...just remember that we're sharing in it with you, not directing it AT you.

Speaking of which, everyone here has every right to bitch LOUDLY about this turn of events, AS LONG AS it's directed at the ridiculous government process that caused the cancellations. Anyone whose bitching is directed at YOU for it needs to get the f*** out and stay the f*** out.

It's still going to be a killer show, Glenn, and we appreciate your hard work and dedication to running the best metal festival in the country.
:headbang:
Craig

Glen, I do not envy what you have to go through. That being said, I vote for Wade Black to front Crimson Glory to play Astonomica in it's entirety. That would make the festival for me.

Also, for future reference...given that there are a number of PPUSA regulars from the DC area, would it be useful to have anyone there try to help out with the visa stuff by going to the immigration office in person?

I'd do it, but no longer live in the area (in NC now).

Just a thought...

Craig

Yeah, regardless of how much this sucks... I don't think anyone wants the festival to stop after 2010... Just hang in there!

Wow.

I am absolutely speechless.

I'm appalled that these bands were denied visas. I'm astounded that you recovered so quickly and have already lined up fantastic bands in their places.

This turn of events is a testament to the times in which we live, for sure. But it's also an indication what kind of guy you are. You're one of the good ones, Glenn. First rate all the way.

Thank you for for putting so much of yourself on the line every year. And thanks for giving it to us straight this year.

We'd all be sad if there was no PPUSA XII. But you've earned our respect and support no matter what. If you don't want to carry on after next year, no worries. Frankly, if you don't want to contemplate PPUSA XI, I would fully understand. Whatever you choose to do, you have lots of people out here who support you 100%.

Hang in there!

Bill

Sorry to hear it... What a pain... No Worries though man!
Crimson Glory will be killer! They rocked BARfest a couple years ago....
And I love Mindflow!!

I was stoked for Vanden Plas, that one hurts me the most...

Carry on Soldier!

Brett

This definately sucks. Even with losing my job earlier this year I was determined to scrape whatever money I could to see this years line up, mainly Matos and VP. Feels like a big shot to the gut. Oh well.

Glenn, is/was there any chance that an appeal to your U.S. Representative, and the Rep. for the district that includes the venue, might have helped? This is the sort of situation that Congressional staffers and liaisons can sometimes help with, and there's a financial stake in it for the Atlanta rep since the festival takes place in their district.....

Bummed about the news, especially about Matos. Kudos on the swift replacement process, and it'll be great to see the MindFlow guys again. :headbang: Side note: they talk to BIRDS. :)

What Bill said....

I feel HORRIBLE about all of this. Kudos for the quick replacements, and I hope like hell you continue this thing, and next year goes better (and no govt. B.S. @ the eleventh hour)
maaaan wtf! :(

Glen, I do not envy what you have to go through. That being said, I vote for Wade Black to front Crimson Glory to play Astonomica in it's entirety. That would make the festival for me.

I vote for the complete opposite of this. Lets keep the Wade Black to a minimum, and have the guest vocalists handle the Midnight material.

I, like many others, am unhappy at this news. Whoever reviewed those visas is an idiot. And it seems that Vanden Plas just isn't destined to come back to the US any time soon. :(

Great job on booking replacement bands so quickly, though. You are fast and efficient. :)

Glenn, is/was there any chance that an appeal to your U.S. Representative, and the Rep. for the district that includes the venue, might have helped? This is the sort of situation that Congressional staffers and liaisons can sometimes help with, and there's a financial stake in it for the Atlanta rep since the festival takes place in their district.....

I was thinking this same thing. The festival brings in a good chunk of money into the city, I mean, it's not a sports all-star game or anything, but every little bit helps, and it fucking BLOWS that this kind of arbitrary shit happens. I absolutely could not deal with the headache, and I'm both sorry and thankful that you do for us. Ugh.

Great job on the replacements though, I'm shocked you were able to pull it together so quickly. Very awesome, and thanks again for doing all of this so we can enjoy the fest.