Practice Time 03 - MISS MAY I -"Apologies are for the weak" Cover (DI tracks inside)

is it a good or a bad wtf?:p
I forgot to say: awsome vocalists both of the guys and thnx for the multitracks Icem4n!

It's a surprised WTF. Do you really think that the bass is pitched guitar? Furthermore I think that the guitars are played very well. It's a really great job. But this is the good: multiple and different views.

Cheers!

o_O eeer... What tha...?!

It's a surprised WTF. Do you really think that the bass is pitched guitar? Furthermore I think that the guitars are played very well. It's a really great job. But this is the good: multiple and different views.

Cheers!

thnx guys. yes I think the bass is a guitar in the middle position with a pitch shifter. In this genre of music everything is edited as hell, sometimes even recorded note by note and word by word. This is a difficult song to play though and it doesn't worth putting so much effort in non original music.

Well, I've remixed the song from the beginning, with rested ears and following the advice given to me both in this post and another of FOH forum. This time I mixed with a AILD Awakened song as a reference (any similarity is pure coincidence :rofl:) and with my Audio Technica ATH-M50. I think I it´s possible that the hats are still a bit shrill but overall I think it has been less harsh than the other. Give me your opinions, please. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
thnx guys. yes I think the bass is a guitar in the middle position with a pitch shifter. In this genre of music everything is edited as hell, sometimes even recorded note by note and word by word. This is a difficult song to play though and it doesn't worth putting so much effort in non original music.

Bass DI track is a real bass track, recorded with an Ibanez Gio equipped with active EMGs.

Is not a pitched guitar at all :lol:

Some people in this thread has achieved a great bass sound with this DI indeed.
Maybe the sound isnt the best bass sound on earth (inexpensive bass indeed) but anyway you can get a great sound

Cheers :kickass::kickass:

Bass DI track is a real bass track, recorded with an Ibanez Gio equipped with active EMGs.

Is not a pitched guitar at all :lol:

Some people in this thread has achieved a great bass sound with this DI indeed.
Maybe the sound isnt the best bass sound on earth (inexpensive bass indeed) but anyway you can get a great sound

Cheers :kickass::kickass:

Really?? Did you use anything to change its tuning? it really sounds weird especially on the sustained notes.

Hmmm this may very well be the first time I ever heard this band (even though it's a cover).

Not what I expected. Sturgis work/s/ed with these guys, correct?

Hmmm this may very well be the first time I ever heard this band (even though it's a cover).

Joey did their first 2 albums and then they went to Machine for their third album.

yeah mate!Joey workED with these guys for 2 albums,now they work with ''the machine'' producer.. i love sturgis productions-bands especially miss may i and the devil wears prada... this guy has HUGE imagination! btw,the ''original'' song made only with amp sims itb....and its AMAZING..

Hey guys here is a demo/ep quality mix
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0c2q6diiv3k94nr/Miss May I test mix.mp3?v=0mcn

As already mentioned the guitars could be played a little better and the bass sounds like a guitar with a pitch shifter an octave lower. but anyways most of the times you don't have a perfect recording to work with.

thats Jim Siou motherf@ckers! :D the winner of the second place at feared mixing competition! glad to see you here my friend! great mix as usual! i really like the way you mix the vocals,sounds very good!

i think that the first try where more ''clean'' btw in my opinion first is better man :)

Well, I've remixed the song from the beginning, with rested ears and following the advice given to me both in this post and another of FOH forum. This time I mixed with a AILD Awakened song as a reference (any similarity is pure coincidence :rofl:) and with my Audio Technica ATH-M50. I think I it´s possible that the hats are still a bit shrill but overall I think it has been less harsh than the other. Give me your opinions, please. Thanks!

WAY better than first,i think that lacking at low end but its ''clean'' ;)
watch out you autotune man, rafael do a great job on vocals i think that you over-do it with autotune or you use wrong settings :/ this make the clean vocals sound like shit sorry! btw keep up!

Last edited by a moderator:
Really?? Did you use anything to change its tuning? it really sounds weird especially on the sustained notes.

Really :)

Otherwise, im not a bass player, i recorded the bass track as a guitar player, maybe sounds "weird" because i play the bass guitar as usual i play my guitars :Spin:

Really :)

Otherwise, im not a bass player, i recorded the bass track as a guitar player, maybe sounds "weird" because i play the bass guitar as usual i play my guitars :Spin:

your picking is very weak. The only time the guitar/bass sounds good is when you play a whole note and you have time to hit the string properly. The rest of the song is like youre barely touching the strings
This is not an insult just an observation

your picking is very weak. The only time the guitar/bass sounds good is when you play a whole note and you have time to hit the string properly. The rest of the song is like youre barely touching the strings
This is not an insult just an observation

I'll pick harder next time , thanks for the observation buddy :)

WAY better than first,i think that lacking at low end but its ''clean'' ;)
watch out you autotune man, rafael do a great job on vocals i think that you over-do it with autotune or you use wrong settings :/ this make the clean vocals sound like shit sorry! btw keep up!

You have become in my trojan horse, man! :rofl: :rofl:. Seriously, I value your criticism and I appreciate your honesty, it's the better way (the only way) to improve. I fucked off with Rafael's vocals, it's true, but yesterday I discovered why. It was one of my first time with clean vocals and my first time with Nectar pluging. Anyway I have other mix with new eq in guitars, OH and HH (besides the vocals) that I hope upload here when I get home from work (and get some sleep :rofl:). I think is better than this and, specially, less harsh and without mid-highs boosted, I hope.

Thaaaaanks!!!