Predictions for remaining 4 bands...

edgeofthorns said:
My predictions are Masterplan for the Headliner and Iced Earth being the co-headliner.
You think Masterplan would headline over Iced Earth and Stratovarius? If memory servers me correctly, last time Glenn tried to book IE, it was as the festival headliner. Last time he tried to book Masterplan, it was as a #3 slot band.

Zod

SyXified said:
That being said, am I the only person who finds Masterplan kinda dull?
Nope.

SyXified said:
Everyone is clamoring for them hardcore but they seem so run of the mill to me. Nothing that should be contending with the quality of past year headliners. I'd rather see some true elaborate, sing along power metal in those two top slots personally
Couldn't agree more.

Zod

Maybe Ayreon wouldn't be as hard as it seems. For the live Star One show they used the vocalists they had, and they replaced at least one of the vocalists they didn't have. I couldn't tell the difference until I read it. Of course, if too many of the vocalists weren't available, it wouldn't work, but I could see it working.

SyXified said:
That being said, am I the only person who finds Masterplan kinda dull? Everyone is clamoring for them hardcore but they seem so run of the mill to me. Nothing that should be contending with the quality of past year headliners. I'd rather see some true elaborate, sing along power metal in those two top slots personally
I'm sure you're not, but I for one really hope Masterplan is on the bill. The way you feel about Masterplan is the way I feel about most, if not all, so-called true power metal bands...kinda run of the mill, boring & a bit tedious. I'm sure there are others that would agree with you on this one.

I really have no idea who is going to be the #1 slot...I hope not Iced Earth. As others have said, they just finished a major tour of the US last summer which was pretty successful. So anyone who wanted to see them had more than ample opportunity to do so. I was hoping Glenn could be the one to get the Crimson Glory 'Transcendence' line-up back together. Now, hearing them play 'In Dark PLaces' would bring the roof down on Fri. night. :headbang:

Duh. How about Rob Rock. I mean he is there every year(at least the years I've been there). I think it's time for his band to take the stage. He has some great albums and I've seen him live once. Puts on a hell of a show. He's is perfect for PPVI.

Mxgonzo said:
Duh. How about Rob Rock. I mean he is there every year(at least the years I've been there). I think it's time for his band to take the stage. He has some great albums and I've seen him live once. Puts on a hell of a show. He's is perfect for PPVI.

I would KILL to see Rage of Creation..Rob soooo needs to perfom a full set...

I'm a WAARRRRRRIOR.... take my hand!

Mxgonzo said:
I would love that, but he's not gonna get one of the headline spots on Fri. & Glenn already said that the two openers on Sat., to be announced on Mon., are for the traditional proggers, so that counts him out for those as well. I would be very happy if he were to play, though.

AutumnReign said:
I definitely think Rob Rock is deserving of that #2 spot on Friday...he would kick serious ass!
I just don't think that RR would get that high a spot on the bill. I've been a fan of his since the Project: Driver album, so I would love to see him at PP. The #2 spot on Fri. is a US debut, so that means he isn't goning to get it anyway...deserving or not.

As for me, he could headline Fri., play for 2 hours and I would be happy...just not gonna happen, though.

SyXified said:
Honestly, I think the friday headliner will be the big budget band. Getting Strato to play probably cost a penny or two, but they were already kicking off a US tour, and with their recent nonsense of losing and rehiring Kotipelto, they were probably willing to play the show for less, they need to win back the fans after damaging their credibility and Tolki making such an ass of himself.

I dunno if I'd put it quite so....um...bluntly :), but I agree with your reasoning here. The two 'biggest' bands so far, Strato and Therion, are both performing as part of tours, so they probably aren't demanding (and Glenn is presumably, and rightly, not paying them) "festival" money to perform.

So I would think that ruling out a band of the status of Angra, Gamma Ray, Rhapsody, etc would be premature. It probably cost obscene sums to get those reunion type crews together for previous years, and based on the current lineup, I think there is a lot of money left to blow on those top two slots. Everyone playing right now has a lot of motivation to be playing the fest, and are not in the boat where you have to lure them with dollar signs to come play a one off show.

Again, this seems to be sound reasoning......which is good reason to hope for a one-two knockout punch for Friday's two top-spots, and it means a lot could be on the table. As has been mentioned before, Demons and Wizards, a Conception reunion, something with Midnight and Crimson Glory, maybe even some sort of Ayreon/Star One/Lucassen gig (though I think that would be unlikely)....none of these can be ruled out. A D&W show would be amazingly neet. An Ayreon show announcement would have me on Cloud Ten* for a week!

-=-=-=-=-
* to get there: go to Cloud Nine, and turn right on Neil Kernon Blvd

I can't even believe I didn't think of the most obvious one. What about Liquid Tension Experiment as the US prog band? They've played live once or twice. I guess they might be too big.....dunno.

No. None of the old DT side proj.(Liquid, Jelly, Platy, trans, Osi) will never tour. If something New is comming out then maybe a chance. JLB will stay in Europe and G3 is Japan only. If they DO play in USA, it will be on there own not PP. Lets hope JLB plays the states. Just one show is all I need.

Yep. Well, there's plenty of great "uber-complex instrumental prog" from the US, so if Glenn's getting one of those, there are plenty of options.