Predictions for remaining 4 bands...

Yngvai X said:
Alright I thought this would be an interesting thread to start. Besides just naming the band, give a reason as to *why* you think they might be playing this year. Here goes mine:

headliners:

1. either Demons & Wizards or a Helloween reunion with Kai Hansen and/or Michael Kiske. These are really the only two bands at the moment that I can think of who could be ranked higher than Stratovarius and still maintain a "never played progpower" status. I think D&W is obvious why they would play...Schaffer expressed a ton of interest in the festival, enough to start claiming to people that Iced earth would play Progpower 4 (and starting a shitload of rumors in the process). Add in that the new D&W will be ready by summer and that they *did* do a small festival tour when the first album came out makes it seem all the more likely that they could play. Now, Helloween on their own is a big name, but yes they did do a US tour for Rabbits, and I can only assume that they would tour again for the album that they are working on right now. I could definitely see them playing just as they are now, but seriously...Kiske performing with Helloween for a one-off show would be *the* powermetal event of...well...the history of powermetal. Its a fucking longshot but hey, I can conjure up any thought I want ;).

2. Masterplan - also kinda obvious...new album out this year and a lot of people would love to see these guys.

openers:

1. Riverside - Glenn loves em, new album, and at this point look like they could be the only band to shut up the bitchy progsnobs :)

2. Magnitude 9 - Well one of the openers is from the US, and Mag9 was supposed to play last year. Maybe Rob's kid is starting school a week later or early this year :D

So...discuss...

I don't know about the Helloween reunion with Kiske, but I like where you're going! My predictions are Masterplan for the Headliner and Iced Earth being the co-headliner. My reasons being the same as yours for Masterplan. As for Iced Earth, I'm pretty sure they've been invited before, and they're suppose to do another tour this summer. As for Saturday, Magnitude 9 and Pyramaze are my picks. My reason for M9 being the same as yours. As for Pyramaze, it just makes sense. It would be a kick in the teeth for me if Pyramaze didn't play! In other words I'm 99.9% sure they'll be there!

#1: Demons & Wizards
#3: Rhapsody or, now that everyone mentions it, maybe Masterplan
#8: no idea
#10: Stride (he didn't say it wouldn't be someone who's played the preparty)

Ryan

Anthony3 said:
Opeth play in the US so much there is no need to have them take up a slot at Progpower.

That's your opinion. Yes, the fact that Opeth now tours the U.S. with a degree of regularity does take away from the "exclusivity" factor that would enable a PP appearance to be "hyped" more, but their drawing power would easily enable them to come to PP and put on a show that would be more than welcomed by many attendees.

TheWhisper said:
If, as I hope, Masterplan is yet to be announced, I think they will get the Friday night co-headliner slot. The #1 slot, I have no idea.

I hope I am wrong about Accept not being viable. I would put Glenn in my freaking will if he got Accept to Atlanta, but I don't think it is going to happen. They are my favorite oldschool band (and Wolf my favorite guitarist,) but I never saw them live. If they were announced as headliners for Friday you couldn't beat the smile off my face with a baseball bat for a week.

Bryant

Dark One said:
That's your opinion. Yes, the fact that Opeth now tours the U.S. with a degree of regularity does take away from the "exclusivity" factor that would enable a PP appearance to be "hyped" more, but their drawing power would easily enable them to come to PP and put on a show that would be more than welcomed by many attendees.

I dunno, man. Bear in mind that Opeth have toured the U.S. (as a headliner, no less) more than ANY band that has EVER played ProgPower, this year's so far announced lineup included. So i agree with the previous poster.

Ryan

I am not an Opeth fan, but I think it would be reasonable to think they could play PP.

The one thing I do not understand is the notion that Accept would play PP. This would be the last band that I would expect and/or want to play PP. Why not get AC/DC to play too. What about Cirith Ungol. Is it just me or is Accept neither prog nor power?

Don't get me wrong,they were fun back in the day.....I just don't see the fit here.

Yeah, I agree with Fates about the Accept thing. Not that I have anything against them, but there's a lot more bands I'd see fitting the PP bill over Accept. I'd 100 times rather see a Primal Fear over a band like Accept! As for Opeth, I'm not a fan, but I can see them playing sometime or the other.

edgeofthorns said:
I'd 100 times rather see a Primal Fear over a band like Accept!

As for the relevance of Primal Fear over Accept, let's try this exercise:

Let's think of a band (without requiring a specific era) that is one of the most popular straightforward German heavy metal bands of their day, and very heavily influenced by Judas Priest.

Now, am I talking about Accept in the 1980s or Primal Fear now?

Ryan

BlindPanzer said:
oh.. one of them HAS to be Masterplan :headbang:

I hope you're right about that. I seriously would love to see them in one of the last two Friday slots.

Early slots on Sat. would be great if they were Morifade, Last Tribe, Cea Serin, Dionysis or Heavenly.

I've reached the point where I can even guess any more, though. o_O

I guess I'm hoping for some really complex instrumental prog for the US band.....a Ron Jarzombeck project, Gordian Knot, Ice Age, but they're not instrumental. Whatever prog he gets for the opening will make me happy....since it's prog, but those are the smaller US bands I know somewhat.

I just thought of this...What if Midnight was to headline Friday night and brought along some friends
Much like Jon Oliva did last year...
And then it might turn into a Crimson Glory reunion with all or some of the original members

Midnight's new CD is supposed to be out this Spring...Just a thought...

Honestly, I think the friday headliner will be the big budget band. Getting Strato to play probably cost a penny or two, but they were already kicking off a US tour, and with their recent nonsense of losing and rehiring Kotipelto, they were probably willing to play the show for less, they need to win back the fans after damaging their credibility and Tolki making such an ass of himself. So I would think that ruling out a band of the status of Angra, Gamma Ray, Rhapsody, etc would be premature. It probably cost obscene sums to get those reunion type crews together for previous years, and based on the current lineup, I think there is a lot of money left to blow on those top two slots. Everyone playing right now has a lot of motivation to be playing the fest, and are not in the boat where you have to lure them with dollar signs to come play a one off show.

That being said, am I the only person who finds Masterplan kinda dull? Everyone is clamoring for them hardcore but they seem so run of the mill to me. Nothing that should be contending with the quality of past year headliners. I'd rather see some true elaborate, sing along power metal in those two top slots personally