Preparing your tracks for reamping: A Guide

Hi, I`m using Red Eye, during reamping on stage after reamp before amp I have signal loss about 20dB compare to DI signal, so i need to use signal boost (in my case ART or Yamaha 102c)

Do you guys use some boost after reamp? What kind of?

Could you guys tell me if I can use my audio interface as a reamping device?

I have the Alesis io26 (http://alesis.com/io26)

I can plug my guitar directly into 1/4" input 1 and flip to switch form mic/line to guitar. Then I assume I can run the channel 1 output (http://alesis.com/stuff/contentmgr/...dbd0c045b7e6200483/medium/io26_connex_med.jpg) to my guitar amp so I can hear my tone that way through an amp?

I will record the dry track in channel 1 to Sonar.

I normally send outputs 1 and 2 to my monitors, but can I send channel 1 to an amp for reamping?

brett,

just got on of the cuniberti reamps finally, just wondering if your goin from the 1/4" TRS to the xlr on the reamp, where do you usually have your trim set at? as i found it works best at around 5, and then after that its soo much signal. however if i just use a TS 14" jack, im finding myself getting the right setting at about 10-11. does this make sense/or does this happen woth yours?

I usually set mine around 6, never been more. I asked John Cuniberti and he said that was the normal value. I used both connections and I didn't remember any difference in signal, are you sure you were hitting it with +4db on input? Could it be that your soundcard is set to output +4db on balanced signal and -10db on unbalanced?

hmm i dont know to be honest, the only outputs i have to use are the left and right outs on my motu 8pre, and dont know what the output of these would be :/ they are balanced outputs but im using unbalanced connections to my poweramp as my patchbay is unbalanced, and i havent had any problems regarding tone or anything to my monitors and they are of the same volume as my comp soundcard. i think the safest bet would not to use my patch bay when reamping and just use a balanced cable straight out from one of my outs.

great little unit though!!!

You need a reamp box between your channel 1 output and your guitar amp input.

and this is so that the level of the signal is lowered to a guitar level and the impedance is increased? So would need this reamp box both in order to reamp, and to listen to my playing through an amp while the dry signal is recorded?

Simply lowering the out signal a lot wouldn't work, I have to get a reamp box?

so, if i'm correct; the reamp box and the reamping has nothing to do with active and passive pickups right?

e.g. say I tracked a good direct guitar signal (leaving whether it was an active or passive pickup on the guitar out of the equation).
I send it to a re-amp box and then to an amp and it's fine, right? sending from output->reamp->amp doesn't involve 1 box being better with actives and 1 box being better than passives, right..

probably another dumb question, but just to clear this up.. sorry :)

Hmzzz i just wanted to use my Focusrite Pro 26 as a clean signal for the reamping. Now i got instrument level inputs i can use. However the instrument level inputs totally clip the hell out me with EMG's. Even if i bring the gain knob from the focusrite to like 0, like 7o'clock. Now if i put my other guitar in, there's no problem using the instrument level input. I even have to bring up the gain a bit. So does this mean i just can't use the instrument level inputs of my focusrite? Do i have to buy a DI anyway.

Did found this info on the instrument level inputs of the focusrite, but to be honest. I lost you guys on all the calculations :p it's probably easy as hell but still XD

Instrument Inputs
• Frequency Response: 20Hz - 20kHz +/- 0.1dB
• THD+N: 0.004% (measured with 0dBu input and 20Hz/22kHz bandpass filter)
• Noise: -87dBu (20Hz/22kHz bandpass filter)