Preparing your tracks for reamping: A Guide

...and i forgot:
is there any way to capture or create the "noise" of an amp,like feedback in breaks?!?i´ve heard about a plug that simulates feedback,but i can´t imagine how this works.a while ago i´ve heard someone saying,that you can have a comparable effect,when you get close to the monitor speakers with your guitar.
bye,pat

Right.. im about to order this one:

http://www.thomann.de/nl/radial_engineering_j_48.htm

No pre-amp needed right? will i need anything else besides the j-48 and a guitar? (gibson explorer with the ZW EMG set).
Just checking and being sure before i place my order... i will need to find a way to hear the signal (through a POD XT?) as i record the dry tracks.

Total re-amp newb!

Well the J48 will have some sort of "thru" output that can go to the pod/amp/etc., but I was under the impression that even though it's an active DI, you would still need to plug its XLR out into a preamp...

Right.. im about to order this one:

http://www.thomann.de/nl/radial_engineering_j_48.htm

No pre-amp needed right? will i need anything else besides the j-48 and a guitar? (gibson explorer with the ZW EMG set).
Just checking and being sure before i place my order... i will need to find a way to hear the signal (through a POD XT?) as i record the dry tracks.

Total re-amp newb!

Plug the "Thru" output of the J48 into your pod. Plug the XLR output into a mic preamp & you're good to go. I pretty much explained this at the beginning of the article.

hi guys!
in an earlier post in this thread someone asked about using the firepods´intrument input instead of an DI,but nobody answered.
i´m curious as well about that issue.
for the next record of my band i want to record all the line-signals at home.
what i have is:

a firepod,a cheap ZECK-DI and a radial-reamp box.

so i was wondering,if i just can use the firepods instrument input.i don´t want to use the crappy DI box,or does it make any difference?!what do you think about the quality of the firepod-converters and preamps?is it enough quality for "just recording the line signal"?
and if it would be better to have a DI,would a samson-DI be good enough.i can get that one from a freind.

thank you for your help
bye,pat

I use the firepod's instrument inputs (DI) without any trouble and with great results.

I read all through and i did not find the impendance of the little labs redeye. anybody knows ??

I know countryman is the best but its 260 euros up here. Redeye too but it does both.... You got the dilemma.

If redeye is good for passive, i'll go the redeye way for the moment..

I had an EMG 81 set too high in one of my guitars and got clipping. I was never sure why a song tracked with that guitar always sounded different/worse/mushy than a similar guitar with an 81 also. Recorded a DI, and with the preamp gain nowhere near clipping the incoming waveform was clipping. Lowered the pickup in steps and kept checking the DI until all was good. So EMG's advice of having your pickup height "as close as practical" is a bit misleading. Check it with a DI. Now both similar (same wood and body shape) guitars sound the same. When I got my Hellraiser, I checked both pickups by recording seperate DI's, no clipping in sight. Looks like they set it up correctly.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It was driving me crazy trying to track down my clipping issue. Lowering the 81 fixed it.

Hi guys.

Today I tried to do some reamping for the first time... and it sucked.

I recorded the guitar this way: guitar -> firepod -> Cubase SX3 and got tracks like this one:

7846319dc0.jpg

Then I used used the Cue Mix Line Out (Mixer playback knob fully right in the firepod) to a X-Amp and the Out 1 to a Line 6 Flextone III (I do not have any tube head and the idea was to do some experiments with the X-Amp). We found a nice distortion previously with the guitar, so I supposed I just need to click play and start recording, but surprise... the tone I got from the X-Amp was far from metal, it has no presence, no heavy tone at all, I switched to guitar -> flextone III and the nice disto was back again. So I suppose the problem is, of course, between the DAW and the X-Amp.

Maybe I recorded the guitar far too low? Recorded guitars never ever clipped... The X-Amp's level is right now at 10 and it doesn't clip neither... Honestly I'm frustrated with this first experience.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance guys, you rock!

Hi guys.

Today I tried to do some reamping for the first time... and it sucked.

I recorded the guitar this way: guitar -> firepod -> Cubase SX3 and got tracks like this one:

7846319dc0.jpg

Then I used used the Cue Mix Line Out (Mixer playback knob fully right in the firepod) to a X-Amp and the Out 1 to a Line 6 Flextone III (I do not have any tube head and the idea was to do some experiments with the X-Amp). We found a nice distortion previously with the guitar, so I supposed I just need to click play and start recording, but surprise... the tone I got from the X-Amp was far from metal, it has no presence, no heavy tone at all, I switched to guitar -> flextone III and the nice disto was back again. So I suppose the problem is, of course, between the DAW and the X-Amp.

Maybe I recorded the guitar far too low? Recorded guitars never ever clipped... The X-Amp's level is right now at 10 and it doesn't clip neither... Honestly I'm frustrated with this first experience.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance guys, you rock!

Make sure you're outputting a MONO TRACK from your DAW & your Firepod. USE THE FIREPOD'S MIXER TO DOUBLE CHECK. If you're outputting in stereo, you'll only get part of the track to the amp. Just pan the track over to the side of the output you're using. And make sure the firepod's set to a +4 output.

hey guys!
okay,i started recording guitars for our record.

the set up is:

Passive PU >>>

Firepod Instrument input (DI)>>>

Cubase SX 3>>>

Radial X-AMP

still haven´t tried how it sound on a real amp,but what i´m worrying now is,if the signal is recorded with a signal which is too low.
i didn´t want to have any clipping or a signal which is too hot,so my peaks in the DAW are around -8/-5.waht do you think?will this be too low?and if yes,is there a way to get the signal louder without creating noise (normalize etc...)
thanks for every help!
bye,pat

You can use Radial ProRMP wich is passive like Cuniberti`s Reamp, but cheaper.
I cannot compare it to Reamp or X-Amp, but it works fine.