Preparing your tracks for reamping: A Guide

Hi
I've a question about using firepod as a DI box.
Is this scheme correct?

guitar -> firepod instrument in (in 1) -> daw (recording the clean track)

At the same time:
firepod out 1 -> Pod/Amp/whatthefuckiwant -> another firepod in -> daw (recording the sound)

p.s.
Oooops, I've just read it's not a good idea to use the pod's outputs because they are line level..

hi all, totall reamping noob here :)

you all are geniuses by the way, been lurking for some time. anyways, my question pertains to this reply i quoted. My soundcard itself doesn't have a 1/4" or XLR output on it. Can the Firepod be used as an output to the re-amping device? Also, can a BOSS GT-8 be used anywhere in this process to simplify things or add anything?

My gear list:

Schecter C-1 Classic (JB pups) --> Firepod --> re-amping device (not sure which one to get yet) --> Marshall JCM 900 (blecch!!)....then where do I go?

Am I supposed to mic from there? Or do I run back into the other DI preamp channel on the Firepod?

The logistics of this process have me scratching my head.

:worship: :headbang:

i would love to get some feedback here, my band and i are in the midst of recording, and i need some solid feedback quickly before i drop 200$ on this reamping thing.

thanks

hi all, totall reamping noob here :)

you all are geniuses by the way, been lurking for some time. anyways, my question pertains to this reply i quoted. My soundcard itself doesn't have a 1/4" or XLR output on it. Can the Firepod be used as an output to the re-amping device? Also, can a BOSS GT-8 be used anywhere in this process to simplify things or add anything?

My gear list:

Schecter C-1 Classic (JB pups) --> Firepod --> re-amping device (not sure which one to get yet) --> Marshall JCM 900 (blecch!!)....then where do I go?

Am I supposed to mic from there? Or do I run back into the other DI preamp channel on the Firepod?

The logistics of this process have me scratching my head.

:worship: :headbang:

I don't see why the Firepod wouldn't work. I don't see how the GT8 would help you but you never know.

can i use the GT-8 for distortion as opposed to my amp gain/overdrive. my amp has HORRID overdrive. i can generally find some pretty good/crunchy/clear distortions from my pedal, would that mean that it would translate well through reamping?

This may appear extremely stupid to some of you but is there anyway I can use my Lexicon Omega as a Reamp box. :lol: o_O:err:

Eg: Pan the dry clean Guitar tracks fully right and use the Right Speaker output into the ENGL. Then Mic that with my Shure SM 57

EDIT: Gave it a go and it worked lol.

http://www.sneapforum.celtiaproductions.co.uk/poidaobi/septicreamptest.mp3

I could only get the engl up to about .8/10 so it's got to much fizz/fuzz but I'll try it tomorrow on about 3.:lol:

hello, I want to reamp all our guitars for our next cd. But still don't know if I should go for the little labs red eye or the radial reamp pack with the J48 and X-amp.

The little labs is cheaper, but maybe the radial D.I. is better for bass ?

Also, i have a Studio projects Vtb-1 preamp and a m-audio audiophile 2496 soundcard, would my dry tracks be good enough with this equipment, or should i upgrade to an interface with better pre's & convertors, like rme or something ?

Would be silly if I record everything and arrive at the studio with bad sounding dry tracks...

ok folks here goes... i read this entire thread and i'm still at square one AND i searched other threads so i guess it's my specific situation.

the stuff i currently DO have;

two firepods
sansamp di

what i need: to reamp

so, i was looking into the reamp but then from what i read it is similar to the x-amp so there's one confusion for me. plus from what i understand the big boys on this forum andy, james, etc. use the reamp so i might as well get that if it it truly worth it.

here's the main thing though do i still need to get a seprate DI box??? can i use the sansamp or just into the instrument input of the firepod?? my main concert is quality and accurately recreating the sound of a guitar plugged staright into the amp. most of the guitars i have have passive pups but once in a while i may deal with a band with actives so keep that in mind too. if i do need to get a seperate di box and the x-amp is the same thing as the reamp i may as well get the kit from radial. if there is no difference between a high end DI box or something within $$$ range and eitehr the firepod or sansamp then i may as well just get the reamp box for the reamping itself...

im confused, please someone like oz or somehting just make up my mind for me lol

Right, just having a quick browse through this thread. Ive never reamped before, always managed to get decent guitar tones from my amp anyway. However its gnna be great when im doing bands round here who insist on using their crap amps. I was wondering would channel 1 or 2 on my motu 828MKII act work as a DI for guitar?? Also how do you monitor when tracking??

Do ya have the amp mic'd up as normal and record that into the software and off the guitar signal have that also go straight into another separate track in the audio software for reamping later. Do you also HAVE to use one of those reamping boxes when you are reamping (recorded clean signal>>comp/chanel out>>amp)

Heres the front of the motu
828.jpg

Do you also HAVE to use one of those reamping boxes when you are reamping (recorded clean signal>>comp/chanel out>>amp)

You don't have to, but you don't always need a parachute to jump out of a plane, either. One's just more graceful.

Read the thread more thoroughly. There's an explanation of how to monitor.

from the di, is it best to go in to mic/instrument preamp on my 828? or would it be best to put it into one of the instrument/line level switchable input. the only problem id see on my mic/instrument preamp is that i have control over the gain? also for that matter im still confused, could i get away with using one of the 8 line/instrument level inputs as a di or do i actually need the di bix? im still very confused

hi,

i've to do di tracks to reamp later. I can use ua610 preamp direct in the instrument in OR radial active J48+ SSL E Signature.
It seems to me that the ssl will be more fast with the transcient ? Which preamp is the best for this job ?

Thanks

Sorry i've forgot, the guitars are washburn emg 81 and les paul with gibson humbucker and the style is melodic metal.

thanks

How to reamp in plain English:

Do what Oz said in the first post, that is get yourself a nice clean DI track, use an amp simulator if you need to monitor your track OR get youself a splitter and send half to your amp and the other half to your DI/instrument in. you can use a DI going to a mic pre or just go into your devices instrument input (if yours has one).

Now it's time to reamp:

If your rocking a firepod or any device with multiple line outs then YAY for you thats good. If your just rocking a 2 output device like a mbox 2 or something then well YAY anyways cause you can still do it.

Rout your DI track (in your daw software) to one of the balanced line outs OR rout it to either R or L if your only got 2 outputs (important: with 2 output interfaces make sure your not monitoring via your monitors or you will die thank you).

Plug in a BALANCED either TRS-->TRS cable or TRS-->XLR cable depending on your needs to one of the available exstra outputs or one of the L or R outputs, if you buy a cuniberti box it doesn't matter but with devices like the Pro RMP you need the TRS-->XLR cable. DO NOT USE UNBALANCED CABLE! Why? Because it will be noisey.

Now if your using a multi output interface such as the firepod then basically your output volume is ready to go (just make sure not to change the sub buss out level). Don't change the track volume or the output volume. For those of you using a 2 output interface however you need to DIME the output and make sure that it's cranked all the way over so it's just on the playback of the track (if you hace one of those input/playback type knobs).

From your reamp box you need to keep your cable runs as SHORT AS POSSIBLE! I use a 1' long instrument cable if I add a pedal then the cable added isn't any more than 6" long. Keep them short it will presearve your signal.

Okay now your all hooked up play that shit back and solo the DI so nothing is comming out of your monitors (this is what I do I hate other shit getting into my reamp tracks). You should hear your amp at this point, set the trim on the reamp box and ajust your amp.

Mic up your amp and record as usual.

from the di, is it best to go in to mic/instrument preamp on my 828? or would it be best to put it into one of the instrument/line level switchable input. the only problem id see on my mic/instrument preamp is that i have control over the gain? also for that matter im still confused, could i get away with using one of the 8 line/instrument level inputs as a di or do i actually need the di bix? im still very confused

Ok, the purpose of a DI is convert your instrument level signal to microphone level. You plug the output of your DI into a mic preamp on your 828. The DI should also have a "thru" that you plug into your amp's input.

Yes, you might be able to get away with plugging into your 828's instrument input directly, but you'll be forced to monitor via a software amp sim or something like that.

It's not that difficult. Stop over-thinking it... ...you're only confusing yourself.

-0z-

Ok, the purpose of a DI is convert your instrument level signal to microphone level. You plug the output of your DI into a mic preamp on your 828. The DI should also have a "thru" that you plug into your amp's input.

Yes, you might be able to get away with plugging into your 828's instrument input directly, but you'll be forced to monitor via a software amp sim or something like that.

It's not that difficult. Stop over-thinking it... ...you're only confusing yourself.

-0z-

Cheers, im cleared up on it now, i made a splitter unit years ago, so for monitoring ill just plug me guitar into this, then have one going straight to the 828s HiZ instrument in, and the other to a normal amp/mic situation for monitoring, ill do a dry guitar signal track this week, and post it up, just so i know that the tracks ok for reamping etc!!:headbang:

I have a reamping question.

When ever I plug in my reamp box to the amplifier (this is occurs on any amp I use) there is a noticeable amount of white noise hiss that is added.

Now, for a lot of parts it isn't a big deal, but on long chuggy parts or when a chord is held out long, it can ruin some parts.

Does this happen to anyone else? I'm going out of a Hammerfall Multiface II to a Little Labs Redeye and then into the guitar amp.