Preparing your tracks for reamping: A Guide

...anyway guys :loco:
erm, would it be necessary to use a preamp before going to my unbalanced input, or is that just completely bonkers?

my tascam fw-1804 has the input impendance of 680k Ohms
could i get away with this? or would i have to get an appropriate box?

Guitar input (Input 8, Unbalanced) 6.3-mm TS jack (T: Hot, S: GND)
Input impedance 680k Ohm
Adjustable input range –44dBu (TRIM max) to +2dBu (TRIM min.)
Maximum input level +18dBu

but would it matter if i did use one

Louder signal = better signal, so if you have a good transparent preamp - use it.

the tascam is pretty cheap and i dont know how 'good' the i/o 's are compared to proper gear

Look in the manual.
SN of EMGs is about 80dB and IIRC my 9v EMGs peaked at aout -16dB so if you want to capture the full dynamic range of your pickups you need a converter with at least -80-16 = -96dB noise floor.

I did read all.
I was thinking about the perfect conditions for monitoring: (guitar > soundcard > reamp box > amp) because imho its better to hear exactly what is being recorded instead of splitting the signal at di box and being surprised later that the sound is not like you wanted (after coming through di box, soundcard preamp, ad & da converters, and finally reamp box it will not sound 100% like after just coming through di box split to the amp).

This sounds very logical to me (build this chain and verify how it'd sound when you get to reamp for a final take). However I was thinking - if the gear used to take the dry guitar sound to a wav file on your system is all up to specs then most likely any problems with sound quality when reamping would be on the reamping side of the chain. What I am trying to say is that when recording dry tracks for further reamping there are 2 things to be concerned about - PROPER INPUT IMPEDANCE & NOISE introduced by DI and mic preamp. That's why I 100% buy the idea of having a digital interface (like E-mu 1616(M)) - impedance 1Mohm (I use acitve pickups and that's perfect or me :) ), onboard preamps are said to be ok and good quality AD/DA convertors - and it's all seamless in one interface - you plug your guitar into one box where it must take the signal properly and AD-convert it so you get your dry sound right there in a digital format. This looks like the best balanced (cost/benefit) solution for those using PC/Laptop for recording. Does this sound somewhat sane ? :err:

2 Mutant - did you get yourself E-mu 1820M as you planned - or maybe 1616M? If yes - how did you like it ? Would you recommend getting 1616M for tracking dry guitar and then using its mic preams to plug in mikes when miking a guitar cab ?

2 Mutant - did you get yourself E-mu 1820M as you planned - or maybe 1616M?

Not yet, but i'm so in love with my 1212M that i'll definitely buy it's bigger brother ASAP.

Would you recommend getting 1616M for tracking dry guitar and then using its mic preams to plug in mikes when miking a guitar cab ?

E-mu = the best converters and the best SN ratio for the price.

Thanks Mutant :) I'd hate to turn it into gear discussion but I do hope there are many "good deal" seekers like me reading this thread. I read good reviews on TC Electronic Konnekt 8 - do you have anything to say about this option (it has 1M instrument input and they advertise some IMPACT mic preams as high quality although I never heard anything about them IMPACT preams :) )

Thanks Mutant :) I'd hate to turn it into gear discussion but I do hope there are many "good deal" seekers like me reading this thread. I read good reviews on TC Electronic Konnekt 8 - do you have anything to say about this option (it has 1M instrument input and they advertise some IMPACT mic preams as high quality although I never heard anything about them IMPACT preams :) )

In todays world of fast and uninhibited customer to customer communication every manufacturer has to provide honest and true data for his product or face the consequences that often can be very bad for his business, so just try to hunt down a pdf manual and compare the specs.

don't know if i am allowed to continue this dicussion, but it was quite interessting to read.
i did a little math and found out, that my guitar/interface-connection would allow 93% through, as my interface (m-audio fw410) only has a 270kOhm input. so for my high output passive humbuckers a interface with 1M would be a nice thing, i guess.

would you suggest to change the interface for reamping? if i only had read this post earlier... :(
i am thinking of a presonus firebox or a focusrite saffire le as alternatives for my fw410 - both have 1M inputs and balanced outputs, which my fw410 also suffers.

and for reamping i am still looking for a good DI box that will convert the signal back. the x-amp is kind of too expensive for my needs.

thanks in advice and PLEASE excuse my bad english writing - i am from austria, you've gotta know. :)

rick

I did some testing at another studio where they had a Focusrite Saffire.
We tried out both the instrument inputs and my Countryman Type 85 DI box (the one recommend here for passives). The Countryman preserved more of the high end and seemed to work better overall.

Ordered a Saffire for myself yesterday, waiting for it to come in.

Ok... But the Countryman is somewhat expensive if I have to buy this AND another DI for the way back to the amp - to my knowledge this DI does not work in both directions...

Regards, Rick

Well folks, it's not just about the numbers. I did a shootout on my last project with a passive Ibanez (yech.) into a J48 vs the instrument inputs on my Great River MP2NV, which has a 1 megohm input. End result? The J48 won, hands down: Even though it has a lower input impedance & the math isn't as good compared to the Great River. The GR was nice, but honestly, the J48 killed it. I'll keep using the Great River for miking guitars, drums & vocals, no question, but for DI-ing guitars I'll stick with the Radial.

The bottom line: Use your ears.

-0z-