Preparing your tracks for reamping: A Guide

I just checked it out and here is were it got weird...
There is nothing behind my pad "hole", it's just empty behind it, couldn't find something pushable anyhoo.
How does it look like in your redeye?

I seem to be getting a pretty low output signal on the line level, when recording a (passive) bass with bartolinni's i get about -30db of signal into nuendo.

Does the Red Eye have an internal preamp ? IIRC it doesn't, but i'm not sure.
If not then you have to use some external hardware to preamplify the signal between the di and the line in.

I just checked it out and here is were it got weird...
There is nothing behind my pad "hole", it's just empty behind it, couldn't find something pushable anyhoo.
How does it look like in your redeye?

the switch is recessed quit a bit. I think I used a jeweler's screwdriver. actually, I took the cover off to set this because I found that easier.

Does the Red Eye have an internal preamp ? IIRC it doesn't, but i'm not sure.
If not then you have to use some external hardware to preamplify the signal between the di and the line in.
it's not active. I use the Redeye Mic out and go into a preamp.

the switch is recessed quit a bit. I think I used a jeweler screw driver. actually, I took the cover off to set this because I found that easier.

Thats good to know! thanks!

it's not active. I use the Redeye Mic out and go into a preamp.

That explains alot! god i feel dumb right know:oops:

I also saw this Jonathan little gearslutzpost at the same time you posted:

"the Redeye (which is a traditional passive DI that needs a mic pre)."

Well know.. back to bussiness then!

Cool!
I bet the sound would sound awesome when doubled.
That clean track is without the redeye btw...

And i just tried running the redeye output through my audient preamp and everything is working out much better allready.
Allthough i have one question remaining... do you guys useally find yourselfs cranking the clean track abit more then what you recorded it in order to get the right gain again? (as in the same gain you would have on your amp when playing it with the same guitar your then reamping with?)

Cool!
I bet the sound would sound awesome when doubled.
That clean track is without the redeye btw...

And i just tried running the redeye output through my audient preamp and everything is working out much better allready.
Allthough i have one question remaining... do you guys useally find yourselfs cranking the clean track abit more then what you recorded it in order to get the right gain again? (as in the same gain you would have on your amp when playing it with the same guitar your then reamping with?)

i have the reamp box, i usually have it on 10 or 11

Mailed jonathan little and everything came out fine! cool service!
Whats your opinion on the Behringer Di100 Ultra Di btw? i got my littlelabs but need that for a project aswell, so i would like to know how this is!

Oh, fuck.. I tried my Pod XT Pro's re-amping purpose output, and the signal is too high. My soundcard (Terratec DMx6Fire) input level is at minimum and clippings appear!!

And if I send it using the coaxial digital input of my soundcard is just the other way round, too low signal.

So best of all, using USB.

ULTERIOR MOTIVE ALERT!!
Now there's many different boxes between these & I can't say good or bad about any of them. However, the one box you should avoid like the plauge is the Berhinger DI20 Ultra DI 2-Channel Active direct box.
240689.jpg

It's noisy as hell & pretty much useless. Remember, you're amplifying the guitar signal several thousand times when it's reamped. A tiny bit of noise in your direct signal can turn into a major clusterphuk when you crank it thru an amp!

-0z-

Do you happen to know how bad is this one [http://www.zzounds.com/item--BEHDI100] - Behringer DI100 ?

I can imagine using a passive DI backwards to reamp - but have a a hard time guessing whether the same can be done with an acitve one (like the DI100 for example) - any thoughts on this ?

Thanks a lot Mutant. That's what I was suspecting.

Do you have any idea as to how good or bad this Behringer DI100 is compared say to some known average DIs?

I presume it must better than the Berhinger DI20 Ultra DI 2-Channel Active direct box as it costs a bit more :)

K, here's my story...
I was just working on some recordings of my band as you perhaps might have seen in the RMM-Section.
I was missing some low-end in the guitars but didn't have the possibility to reamp them with some more low-end 'cause I'm totally overbooked and just didn't have the time to get all the stuff from our rehearsal-space into the studio etc...
anyway, I figured I gotta do something with the guitars, so I thought I might just send Oz the dry tracks to reamp them...I really like the way his guitars sound but still I had bit of a strange feeling 'cause I'm really picky about my guitarsounds and the idea of having to rely on another person (although I liked what he's doing with his guitars) scared me a bit to be honest.

anyway, I talked to him and sent him the DI-Tracks for reamping there's no need to be frightened or something, cause he did an amazing job and still let me add my ideas and influence him a bit..
he sent me 3 different snippets and we went from there towards the "perfect" guitarsound (pretty fast though).
It didn't take that long and he had the files up on his FTP, they provided exactly what was lacking in my first guitartracks and delivered exactly the sound I wanted.

listen to it in the RateMM-subforum (Subcutane Song) and send this man your tracks, NOW!

Lasse

Way ahead of you, and yes! Glenn is fucking awesome!

I cannot fucking wait until my vocalist gets his arse round here and i can mix this EP and release it with glenn's amazing amp tone!

Some people say it's very noisy + it doesn't have high enough input impedance.

Thanks Mutant for your prompt response.

Look what I've found (go figure then who knows what :))

customer review on J48 here at http://www.zzounds.com/item--RADJ48

quoting
"I purchased & returned two units. The first unit had 3 times the hiss of a Behringer. The second unit had 20% more hiss than the Behringer. For 5 times the price, I would expect less hiss & a better noise to signal ratio.
Submitted: 02/21/2007 "

I was using my DI100 with Guitar Rig 1.2 Demo about a 1.5 years ago before getting my GT-8. I got some noise on high gain settings (in Guitar Rig) but it was bearable (to me :)) I remember not noticing any noise listenting to the clean raw guitar sound in my monitors - but I suppose it is on high gain when you really notice this. I recall I was monkeying around setting up my sound using the sample supplied with Guitar Rig and it had roughly the same noise level as the samples I recorded with the DI100 - but I probably need to try it out again and really pay attention to the difference. I presume the Guitar Rig hardware interface also features a so-so DI - given the cost of the whole product.