Preparing your tracks for reamping: A Guide

with a JB PUP I found the redeye softened the tone a smidgen but not enough for me to be concerned with. I haven't compared with an EMG

Cool. Thanks 2012. I want to ask before I get this thing about how I would connect it to my equipment. I read the info on their site but I'm still a little confused and just want to make sure I don't run into any problems.

To record the DI, I plug my guitar into one of the 2 "instrument in" jacks, plug an xlr cable from "mic level out" to an xlr "in" on my Vintech Dual 72 ?
How do I send the signal to my amp at the same time? "expansion out" ?

To re-amp, I plug a balanced trs cable (on one end) from an analog out of my Motu 2408 (has no xlr jacks) to the the "line level in" xlr of the Redeye? Could I use the "expansion in" jack? And then the re-amp out to my amp.

Is this right?

How do I send the signal to my amp at the same time? "expansion out" ?

Front of Redeye
From Gtr -> "Instrument In"

Back of Redeye
"Instrument Thru" -> To Amp

try to keep the total cable run as short as possible. I usually lay the redeye close to the amp and use a short jumper redeye to amp.

I see...

on my Redeye the backside "Instrument In" is labeled "Instrument In or Instrument Thru"

so, connect your gtr to the Front Side "Instrument In" and the amp to the backside "Instrument In"

Ok, but now I'm confused about the "re-amp out" jack.

Also now I'm concerned about having to deal with hearing the DI while tracking my amp (as mentioned in another thread) but I guess there is no easy way around that...

to Reamp, run the DAW line out to the Backside "Line level In" XLR connector

set the Frontside "Reamp/DI" button to Reamp (Button is out)

run a cable from the Frontside "Reamp Out" Jack to your amp. Voila.

as far as monitoring the DI when tracking, I Mute the DI Input channel and only monitor the Mic channel.

At present i run either my guitar direct into a behringer xenyx 502 (to use amplitude or revalver) or run my digitech genesis into the behringer. Would i get a clean enough sound out of this little mixer?

I have a maudio 2496 card (behringer straight into that). Other than the behringer mixer, if i used a di box how would i connect it to my soundcard?

I've read all of this, but still am little confused.

So, to clear it up:

First. For Preparing tracks for reamping

1. I plug guitar into DI Box and then into sound card

or

2. I plug guitar into DI Box, then into mic pre and then into sound card?

Second. When I am recording (and playing through Guitar rig at the same time for example, just to make it feel like I am playing with distortion but recording from soundcard input), do I need to

1. add some cabinet emulation to that basic signal and record it with that simulation

or
2. do I need just pure dry signal from my soundcard?

Third. If I use emu0404usb, it's specs->http://www.emu.com/products/product.asp?product=15185

Do I need anything else or not?

Thanks in advance!

HJ

Hi
I've a question about using firepod as a DI box.
Is this scheme correct?

guitar -> firepod instrument in (in 1) -> daw (recording the clean track)

At the same time:
firepod out 1 -> Pod/Amp/whatthefuckiwant -> another firepod in -> daw (recording the sound)

p.s.
Oooops, I've just read it's not a good idea to use the pod's outputs because they are line level..