Preparing your tracks for reamping: A Guide

Does anyone have any experience with the Instrument/Hi-Z input of a Mackie Onyx mixer? I'm not sure if it's good enough.

My current signal flow is guitar into Mackie Onyx HI-Z input, the output of the Onyx is then fed into the direct inputs of a Pro Tools 003 rack.

The impudence of the Onyx input is 1M ohm and the DI on the 003 is >300k.

I use active EMG pickups.

I was thinking of getting a Radial J48 but it is pretty expensive, I'm happy to spend the money if it gives me the best results.

Many Thanks.

Does anyone have any experience with the Instrument/Hi-Z input of a Mackie Onyx mixer? I'm not sure if it's good enough.

My current signal flow is guitar into Mackie Onyx HI-Z input, the output of the Onyx is then fed into the direct inputs of a Pro Tools 003 rack.

The impudence of the Onyx input is 1M ohm and the DI on the 003 is >300k.

I use active EMG pickups.

I was thinking of getting a Radial J48 but it is pretty expensive, I'm happy to spend the money if it gives me the best results.

Many Thanks.

Go with the J48. I bought the Radial reamp kit with the J48 and X-amp. Best purchase I've made in years! :kickass:

How do you guys go about Fade-Ins and Fade-Outs? I think it would be a could idea to do short Fade-Ins and Fade-Outs in order to avoid any nasty Clicks and Pops. But if there is a part of the song where a guitar is actually fading out I would not apply that Fade to the DI, right?

I did read the whole thread and more, but still not too sure about this:

The input impedance of the mic-preamp Of PreSonus Inspire 1394 is 500k Ohms,
and the instrument impedance input of that PreSonus is 1M Ohms.

I know it should be good enough to record guitar di's into the instrument input,
but would the signal improve drastically when sent through a di-box to the mic-preamp, or even without a di-box?
The guitar I use recording di's has an EMG85 in the bridge.

I don't have a di-box, but I have a chance of getting that PreSonus almost for free,
and I was just wondering whether I need to buy a di-box too to use the mic-preamp efficiently?

Or better just save more cash and buy a Firebox & not needing a di-box? Can't afford the good/pricy stuff at the moment :(

Sorry if this subject has been talked over many times already, abit tired now, but thanks anyways guys :)

After reading (most of) this thread I'm considering the purchase of a DI box, but I'd like to receive some advise first.

My gear:

- Les Paul stile guitar (LTD) with passive JB and 59 Seymour Duncan pickups
- Interface: Edirol UA-25 (with Hi-Z input)
- ENGL E530 preamp

When I plug the guitar to the Hi-Z input with nothing in between I notice a lot of background noise (fizzzzzzz). Not with clean sounds but in high gain settings I have to raise the noise gate threshold in wathever ampsim I'm trying. Setting off the Hi-Z switch gives a dullier (crappier) tone but the same amount of noise.

Playing guitar --> ENGL preamp --> Edirol UA-25 the noise dissapears.

Do you think that I could possibly get a cleaner signal with a dedicated DI-box than running through the Hi-Z input alone?

Hi Guys,

Whats the optimum level for DI tracks going into your DAW sequencer?

I usually record them with the highest volume peak at-3dB, is that correct?

I too am in the market for a DI box for recording guitar and bass direct for reamping purposes later.

Is there a consensus on a recommendation?

...and i forgot:
is there any way to capture or create the "noise" of an amp,like feedback in breaks?!?i´ve heard about a plug that simulates feedback,but i can´t imagine how this works.a while ago i´ve heard someone saying,that you can have a comparable effect,when you get close to the monitor speakers with your guitar.
bye,pat

sure... but your results may vary! I take the instrument thru from my DI, input into ernie ball volume pedal, into small practice amp with a high enough gain and volume to get the required feedback in the room. I track as needed, (monitor levels) and then when I need feed back, I stand in front of said small amp, roll up the volume pedal (gets loud in room so may not work in your situation) get kick-ass feed back when needed, then roll volume down and continue tracking.

Anyone ever get any delay when reamping? And does anyone know exactly how much it delays in Pro Tools? Ive only reamped a few times. The first time I did it there was a delay....the 2nd time it was fine...but im just wondering if anyone else expirences delay?

Hey Guys, I tried to search through this thread about just using a mixer. I have a Mackie 1604VLZ. I am assuming I can use this as my DI? Thank you!

Trent

Hey Guys, I tried to search through this thread about just using a mixer. I have a Mackie 1604VLZ. I am assuming I can use this as my DI? Thank you!

I think you don't really understand the purpose of a DI box... :)
That mixer has mic and line inputs, since you want to record an instrument, you need an instrument input. And it's not only a hole where you can plug your guitar cable in, it has to match in terms of impedance and signal level - that's where DI jumps in, it adapts signal from your guitar for mic input so you can record it properly.

And now for something completely different... :D
Has anyone tried Klotz's DI box, what's it like compared to other better known ones by Radial, Countryman or whichever brand?
http://www.klotz-ais.com/cgi-bin/qu...tion=showdetail&artnum=D10KL_&wkid=2004g&ls=e

I know Klotz makes nice cables, I'm just curious about their DI boxes, especially for use during tracking for reamping later... Tnx! ;)

hi all i use Native Instruments Rig Kontrol 3 as my USB Soundcard and DI/preamp. My main guitar is has EMG 81/60 active pickups, but I also use 3 different types of passive pickups. I have noticed that the EMG's don't sound as good as all of my passive pickups does this make any sense to anyone?

About latency, if I'm running a single VST then i can run the Rig Kontrol ASIO panel at its very lowest latenecy setting with no clicks and pops, whereas if I put a few guitar tracks on top of each other each with their own amps/speakers emulations then I do get clicks and pops and therefore have to up the latency from 2ms to 4ms and then I don't get pops. But I do notice the latency (which is slight but is there) whereas on low latency setting 2ms I do not notice any latency. Also I have measured using a latency checker tool the latency at 4ms is actually 13ms which makes sense. I can get away with 13ms but I do notice it, any more than this is impossible to play.

But my real question here is basically about EMG's and Rig Kontrol 3, I think I have read that Rig Kontrol 3 is 1MegaOhms input impedance. is that what Hi-z means???? 1MegaOhmz input impedance?

thanks all.

I have noticed that the EMG's don't sound as good as all of my passive pickups does this make any sense to anyone?

I can understand where you're coming from, passive pickups to me seem to have more character and musical-ness whereas emg's can be a bit sterile. They're super tight though.

About latency, if I'm running a single VST then i can run the Rig Kontrol ASIO panel at its very lowest latenecy setting with no clicks and pops, whereas if I put a few guitar tracks on top of each other each with their own amps/speakers emulations then I do get clicks and pops and therefore have to up the latency from 2ms to 4ms and then I don't get pops. But I do notice the latency (which is slight but is there) whereas on low latency setting 2ms I do not notice any latency. Also I have measured using a latency checker tool the latency at 4ms is actually 13ms which makes sense. I can get away with 13ms but I do notice it, any more than this is impossible to play.
Deactivate the guitar tracks you've recorded while you're doing new ones. Or print them with the amp sim on so that your computer isn't running a whole bunch of amp sims at once. When you've finished recording you can increase the latency to give your computer an easier time processing everything.

But my real question here is basically about EMG's and Rig Kontrol 3, I think I have read that Rig Kontrol 3 is 1MegaOhms input impedance. is that what Hi-z means???? 1MegaOhmz input impedance?
Yep, a 1Mohm input is a Hi-z input.