Preparing your tracks for reamping: A Guide

This is basic, but can I use my POD XT Pro to prepare tracks for reamping? If so, is it as simple as recording tracks that are completely clean?

Yes, but the quality suffers, I guess cuz the DI in the Pods isn't very good - I just re-amped tracks for two people, and one had used the Pod for capturing DI's, and it sounded noticeably more muffled and kinda dull! Honestly, I would check out the Behringer Ultra DI100, my housemate has one and it's pretty damn solid! Of course, the greatest is the Countryman Type 85, and they go for ~$120 on ebay all day!

Hmm, interesting. Perhaps I'll look into one of those. You can actually use your pod xt to reamp, correct?

In the guitar chain, you have preamp > poweramp > cab

if you have no DI box, in theory you can record through the preamp only, and then use sims that emulates the poweramp and the cab. If you say you are recording through an amp meaning with a mic, no it's not possible. It's like doing 2 times the process.

there's one thing i'm wondering about (sorry if it's already been covered, didn't find anything though):
how do the Hi-Z inputs on most interfaces (think RME, m-audio, presonus) or even mic-preamps (studio projects vtb-1 would be the one i own myself) compare to dedicated di boxes? are they decent quality, or will DI tracks recorded with any of those interface instrument inputs sound bad when reamped, especially when compared to a dedicated DI like radial or whatever?
moreover, are they actually passive, or active "DI's" so to speak?

just caught up on this thread... seems like it got really really technical with the math... but as has been pointed out, the numbers aren't the full story. they are definitely worth noting if you're inclined to such nerdiness (no offense to any nerds intended), but it's easy to misinterpret them due to overlooking other important factors. a basic working understanding of resistance is crucial though for all recordists, pro or hobbyist... it's not "nerdy", it's necessary.

having said that though though, as long as your re-amping efforts yield a killer, compelling guitar sound that's appropriate for your production, the numbers can fekk right off.

for those interested i'm currently using the Radial JDVmk3 DI and the Cuniberti Reamp.

James...IIRC you used to use the countryman DI. Any reason why you switched? I've been starting to use one for the past couple of months. Reamped a few of those DI's and have gotten pretty good results. Not exactly what I was going for but some of the guys were awful players and some had OK guitars.

Also, I'm still using the purple Cuniberti Reamp from 1998..ha. I was curious as to how hard you push the trim control going into the amp. I find myself rarely having to go past 6 with hi-gain guitars. I know its certainly a more use your ear and preference thing..but I find I really can match the input of a guitar going in at about 4 and after that it's really a tone thing for me.

thanks

lumpong_bayag said:
thanks for helping me out,i read the link you gaved and im still confused,im weak in english and still learning,my budget is low and dont want to waste my money so what should i buy,fast track pro only? or fastrack usb and ultra DI-100,or should i change my pick up and buy emgXX and fastrack usb,

DI100 and dod 260 are the available here in my country.

my guitar is strat,and i just want to record my guitar decent
hope you helped me thanks

Hi :)

Fast Track PRO pdf manual says that it has ">220 Kohm" input impedance which is not enough.

I downloaded a pdf manual for that Fasttrack USB unit but it doesnt say anything about its input impedance...

If you dont have much money then maybe you should buy Line6 - Tone Port UX1.

But USB interfaces generally have more latency so not rally suitable for live playing in my opinion (maybe there are some exceptions).

A perfect solution would be just Presonus Firebox firewire - it doesnt need any DI because it has a proper input impedance of 1 Megaohm.

I heard that Behringer Ultra DI is noisy.

Flame away if needed, but what I have here is Presonus FP10, can I record a good quality guitar signal through that? I think I'm going to change to EMG's before the recordings...

Hello Iam new here, this is going to be my first post, so nice to be here.

I have some questions.
Wich Pre amps did you use for tracking finally the reamped guitar??
I have UA 6176, do you think 47k input is for active pickups, and 2.2m is for passives?
when you talk about MUD ZONE, are you talking about wich freq. range??
wich multiband compressor do you recomend?
did you squash it or somethin smoother???
thanks a lot
:)

Pardon me if this has been answered but why would I want to use an amp sim (as the first post suggests) on my dry, reamp, track?
Isn't the whole point of reamping to use no effects, no nothing on it?
I mean, I will be running it through an amplifier anyway.

Well you're not recording the ampsim sound, you're just monitoring through it, only the DI is being recorded (and I for one definitely don't enjoy just monitoring my DI performance :D)

Oh, well I guess I didn't read that carefully then. There are tools for reamping that are basically splitters, I guess those would be more useful. You wouldn't have to use any amp sim, but instead your own amp. Connect your guitar to it and there's two outputs, one for your sound card and the other for your amp

Yeah, of course, that's what a DI box is, it has the instrument thru output - but if someone wanted to use the instrument input on their interface rather than buying a DI box, then they'd have to go the ampsim route

You know, for some stupid reason I always thought DI boxes were just 1 input and 1 output... My bad

the_more_you_know.jpg

:D