Preparing your tracks for reamping: A Guide

Hi,

I'm Dave from Italy.
I've found this forum searching some info's about REAMPING.

Here's the gears I already have:

2 Les Pauls, both with SD Pickups (a pair of Alnico II's on a STD Custom and Pearly Gates and Duncan Custom on a Black Beauty)
1 Fender Stratocaster STD (with SD Hot Rails at bridge position)
1 Maverick X1 with stock Pickups
1 Ovation Custom Legend
2 Marshall Heads (JCM 800 2210, JCM800 2203zw) + Marshall cab v30
1 Mesa Triple Rectifier + Mesa cab 4x12 v30
----------------------------
M-AUDIO Audiophile 2496 Pci
Line6 Toneport UX2 Usb
Lehle Dual SgoS
-----------------------------

Reading this thread it seems like I've understood that I need 2 different
tools for reamping...
A DI and a reamp Box...

Can I use one of my two Audio cards to record a GREAT clean signal
to my PC? Then I'd go to a real studio and I'd reamp it thru a Reamp Box...

Which one, and How ?

IMPORTANT: Could it be better if I buy a real DI ???
I'm thinking about a Little Labs RedEye...

Since I still need a Reamp Box, I think it could be the right gear for me...

But I'm open to your suggests.

Thank You in advance.

Dave

My Band:
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pages/THE-Project-Rock-Band-Trieste/136833226337843?ref=mf

or:

http://www.myspace.com/theprojectsound

Hello i read a lot in this forum but rarely post anything, so here it goes hehe: i have a Pod XT live and a Native Instruments Audio kontrol 1. The usual metal guitar with EMG-85, we are going straight into the audio kontrol for the dry track (monitoring either with software or with the Pod, suggestions?) and then, here is the main reason of my post, when i go to the studio with my clean guitar tracks for reamping on a good amp, can i use the Pod as the reverse direct box??? I mean, can the POD replace the reamp box in the DAW-Reamp Box-Amp-Mic Preamp?

I mean, can the POD replace the reamp box in the DAW-Reamp Box-Amp-Mic Preamp?

Short answer: No. Unfortunately. Or fortunately.

Longer answer :err:: Let me help you answer this yourself. Consider the normal path with XT LIVE: guitar -> pod Hi-Z input -> some kind of a pre-amp at the input stage circuit inside the Pod (to get the signal hot enough for digital conversion) -> AD convertor (hardly a super high quality one) -> POD digital emulations, fx, etc. -> DA convertor -> POD output (not sure if it is balanced or not).

Now, even if you could bypass the POD digital emulations, fx, etc. - and send your recorded clean guitar signal "backwards" (even if that was possible) - would you expect any kind of decent quality at guitar IN on the POD? :zombie: Nah!

thanks for the answer, so i cant use the pod xt for reamp but then can i use a passive DI box in reverse? i mean, a normal passive DI box to replace a reamp box. How is this done?

I read on this forum elsewhere that it is possible with a passive DI (but not an active one) by simply running it in reverese though I never tried it myself. If you cannot borrow a passive DI to try it yourself and see whether it works fine, I wouldn't recommend deciding to purchase one based on this post. You may try to build a reamp box yourself - a schematic (which uses a Jensen transformer) has been posted on this forum and elsewhere on the internet so you might wanna google it. If you're on a budget - go for a high quality DI first - e.g. Countryman Type 85 - at least you'd be happy to get the recorded signal good enough to reamp. There's plenty of good advice on this thread. Read up on it!

I'm having some trouble. I've had no problem running the DI track from my DAW into my amp, and it'll sound perfectly fine through my cabinet (even though I don't use a DI box).

I'm having trouble micing the cab up though. When I run the DI into my amp, and attempt to record my mic (the mic works fine, picked up my clap perfectly) I get nothing but a high screech/feedback sound. I know the mic works fine, I know the DI work fine, it sounds great through my cab...but when I monitor/record/arm the mic track I get nothing but loud screeching feedback.

Whats up?

You're mic'd signal is coming back out the same output you're sending the DI down!

:lol:

thought so. Is there a good way to solve this? Right now I fixed it by making it a stereo project, sending the L to my monitors and the R to my amp for reaming, while keeping the new reamped recording muted. Then I send the recording signal centered into L output which is stereo. Seems to work

Quit test:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1010558/Feared reamp.mp3

Didn't even use a reamp box :zombie:

Hi! Thanks for this awesome thread.
I'm bit confused about two things:
I have Ibanez RG350ex with stock pickups - chord active D.I. box - m-audio fast track. So my misunderstandings are -
1) preamp - why is it needed, because i got my interface and it got right volume and for now i don't have no condenser mic, so no need for phantom power.
2) background noise - cant get rid of it (for dry signal it isn't noticeable for ear, but in DAW db meter i see somthing), and when applying ampsim there is some hsss noise in bacground - nothing big (can get rid with noise gate) even with guitar hand muted or with volume knob down. But trying some reamps (with same ampsims) from mixing time threads I don't hear no noises.

Sorry for my bad english

Fast Track is already have built-in preamp, so you, basically, don`t need additional preamp.
Is Hi-Z input on Fast Track so bad that you using DI box (as I understand it`s cheap)?
Sometimes phantom power can improve characteristics of DI box, at least maximum input level, battery does not provide sufficient power to operational amplifiers in DI box, some manufacturers specify this in specifications.

ps. If you want, I can answer in russian :)

I found out that mic input in fast track is more clearer than guitar/ line in. That was after found this forums and red this thread. After I red started to experiment end soldered guitar cable to XLR male, so I can plug it into interface. And found it clearer. But guitar output is tiny bit too big for mic input and all mic gain turned down in still got tiny clip. Instead of turning guitar knob i need something solid that keep signal bit lower. So wanted to try this D.I. box and it works.
But I got this D.I. box yesterday so tried it out bit more today and run into problem that seems that hss is made by guitar. So I anyway Im planing to sold guitar to get another soon, I won't try to upgrade guitar.

So all my questions are answered and revealed, THANK YOU for you time.
And deLuther, thank you but there is no need for translating, because I have bad English in typing and spelling, because of lack to use it. But I understand Russian too!!!

Yup tried all three (GND - Float - Lift), but seems that nothing happen, only FLOAT make that 50hz noise of electricity. Im using boss pedal adapter to power it up, maybe thats wrong too. But now after checking Im starting to think that its maybe Fast track fault. Because i inserted batteries into D.I. box and nothing changes and thats not all after unpluging guitar from DI box that hss didn't chenge. After pluging into guitar port in Fast Track there is same hssss but bit louder.
I'm now considering to sell Fast track, cuz i'm willing to get clean DI to give something to this forum for mixing training.

Guys ive read a ton of info on reamping, but still nee youre help.

I use a tc electronic desktop konnekt 6 for recording. When plugged in straight ill record the dry signal.
When played back i can send the signal through the output to the amp. On a other forum, a member pointed out that the sinal would be to hot for the amp.
He suggested that i use a 3db attenuator, its in the form of a cable jack http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=266-240

Would this be enough?