Pro Tools HD + Thunderbolt rumours

It's not really a major hardware upgrade at all, if anything this is actually Avid not being assholes for once. It's just an expansion box that lets you use HD cards in systems that don't have PCI connectivity. So if Apple cans the Mac Pros, you just dump your existing HD cards into this expansion box, plug it into your Thunderbolt port and you are in business. I think it's a great move! Would let you use full on HD with an iMac or MacBook Pro as well.

EDIT:

Argh, scratch that, I misunderstood. What I meant about the upgrades was that it's not a good time to upgrade your rig right now, since there are major changes in the whole HD architecture happening in the future. I want to see what they come up with and how things work out before getting a new iMac or switchinmg to a MacPro.

I'm glad you brought this up, as this something I have been thinking about for awhile. With the release of ProTools 10, Avid said that they would no longer be supporting any legacy Digi hardware. For the past 6 months I have been contemplating to get the Black Lion Audio mod on my 002r or some other more powerful interface. Now, I am at loss. I hate to get a big upgrade and know it will be uncompatiable with a future update on PT. I wish they would shed some light on this as well.

back on topic, I have been excited about thunderbolt since they announced it. Almost zero latency!

Sorry guys I don't understand this...
Is it for getting HD for LE users??? I'm on PT10 /iMac so it could be a great upgrade!

I'm glad you brought this up, as this something I have been thinking about for awhile. With the release of ProTools 10, Avid said that they would no longer be supporting any legacy Digi hardware. For the past 6 months I have been contemplating to get the Black Lion Audio mod on my 002r or some other more powerful interface. Now, I am at loss. I hate to get a big upgrade and know it will be uncompatiable with a future update on PT. I wish they would shed some light on this as well.

back on topic, I have been excited about thunderbolt since they announced it. Almost zero latency!

Don't do it.

Sorry guys I don't understand this...
Is it for getting HD for LE users??? I'm on PT10 /iMac so it could be a great upgrade!

Nope. It's like using HD cards with a macbook or imac.

iMac -> thunderbolt -> external pci chassis with HD cards -> AVID interfaces.
It's not a thunderbolt interface with awesome performance but only a way (expensive) to use an external chassis.
So if you have an iMac or Macbook pro, you have to buy HD cards and the chassis to run PT HD.
It's a fucking big investment anyway

So this
http://www.magma.com/thunderbolt.asp
or
http://www.sonnettech.com/product/thunderbolt/

About $1000 for the expansion box.
AVID will likely be last to get it working.

Really? There were pics of HD running on a thunderbolt chassis way before 9 was released. But yeah, of course Avid will be the last to get it working and it will be horrible and too expensive anyway, 'cause you know, they're Avid :loco:

I wouldn't stress over those exopansion boxes either. Thunderbolt is pretty much taking it's first steps in the consumer market, so I'm sure there will be other options.

Nope. It's like using HD cards with a macbook or imac.

iMac -> thunderbolt -> external pci chassis with HD cards -> AVID interfaces.
It's not a thunderbolt interface with awesome performance but only a way (expensive) to use an external chassis.
So if you have an iMac or Macbook pro, you have to buy HD cards and the chassis to run PT HD.
It's a fucking big investment anyway

Ok, thank you for the info ;)