PRO TOOLS WITHOUT digidesign/m-audio interface?

I think it's more the fact that with the ability to use VST's comes the temptation to start hoarding lots of free plugins that you'll never use. Personally I'd love to get some of the free amp sims into PT but I know I'd be bad for downloading far too much shit that I probably don't need.

so don't give me that compatibility because I have no self control?

FXpansion pisses me off more than AVID. the vst wrapper is so half-assed I want to smack them.

Totally with you there, everyone must have done that when they were first starting out and came across cracked stuff for free online and had the kid in a candy shop moment, then as you learn your craft and get to know what you like and what you actually use and more importantly need to do your job, you soon slim down your plugin list,
Whats the point in having something installed that you are not going to use?
And then if you are using some illegal stuff , hopefully as you learn to appreciate the value of the plugins you want to use, you actually buy them or donate to the free developers.
Ive been there, worked my way up to HD and back to native again, and own everything i have, its all about what you need to do your job not what you can have just coz you can.

And yep the wrapper is a good compromise but just doesn't work for some things, nebula craps out for me which is a real shame.

OK for real pro tools will never do that it has contracts with digi a Ma it cannot break. The only release they have that changes anything is protools hd native which is a cheaper alternative to an hd rig with still the high quality. Pro tools doesn't support vst's because of a trade agreement involving Steinberg. If you dont wanna use a digi design enterface buy a digi 003 002 001 rack and use the adatt to plug in what ever interface you wanna use other then that your not getting any where near protools with another interface believe me i looked into it.

You want protools just let Digidesign rape your wallet!!

OK for real pro tools will never do that it has contracts with digi a Ma it cannot break. The only release they have that changes anything is protools hd native which is a cheaper alternative to an hd rig with still the high quality. Pro tools doesn't support vst's because of a trade agreement involving Steinberg. If you dont wanna use a digi design enterface buy a digi 003 002 001 rack and use the adatt to plug in what ever interface you wanna use other then that your not getting any where near protools with another interface believe me i looked into it.

Considering you dont even know who owns Pro Tools, I dont know how creditable your statement is.

what in the fuck are you talking about?! haha

^^^ this fuckin guy!

Digidesign PR spokesperson who got fired? :loco:

Well if PT does go Non hardware dependant I am there in 2 seconds. I love PT but I cant justify the hardware when I have 16 channels of in's and 60 channels of outs already. The price is also rough for someone on a "project" studio budget. I love the PT workflow and it makes things SOOOOOOO easy.

Between the new announcements in the Sonar camp and now this with PT is if its true I will be moving straight to PT. If not to sonar X1 I go.

I just cant get he feel for Reaper, and I do WAYYY too much work with Midi and the lack of a option to go straight to Piano Roll and start writing MIDI drives me insane!

I just cant get he feel for Reaper, and I do WAYYY too much work with Midi and the lack of a option to go straight to Piano Roll and start writing MIDI drives me insane!

alright forgive me guys for being a ReaEvangelist again, but really?! Reapers MIDI workflow beats Protools pretty unanimously, unless they gutted it (again) for PT9. I think with both DAW's it's uncomfortable to switch and that throws people off, i know PT8 got the MIDI engine revamped, I'd just need someone to sit down with me and listen to me say "so how do you do.... " etc. for a half hour before I was getting the proper mileage out of it, goes both ways.

what do you mean by straight to piano roll? you can use the pencil tool to draw chunks (regions) of blank MIDI (on any track) and then double click one to pop up the very customizable piano roll. I'm pretty sure there's also an option (although i've never wanted it) to do an in-line piano roll, PT 7.4 style

alright forgive me guys for being a ReaEvangelist again, but really?! Reapers MIDI workflow beats Protools pretty unanimously, unless they gutted it (again) for PT9. I think with both DAW's it's uncomfortable to switch and that throws people off, i know PT8 got the MIDI engine revamped, I'd just need someone to sit down with me and listen to me say "so how do you do.... " etc. for a half hour before I was getting the proper mileage out of it, goes both ways.

what do you mean by straight to piano roll? you can use the pencil tool to draw chunks (regions) of blank MIDI (on any track) and then double click one to pop up the very customizable piano roll. I'm pretty sure there's also an option (although i've never wanted it) to do an in-line piano roll, PT 7.4 style

I hear you,
A Sonar head or Cubase head could also sit someone down and show them that you can do pretty much anything or even a work around for things that you might not be able to do, but i think its all how intuitive the program appears to be to the user,
I cant jump into Reaper, Sonar etc as quickly as i can into Pro Tools or Cubase there's something about them that just seems less comfortable to me and i don't have the time to spend on them getting to know them well,
I admittedly haven't spent much or enough time with reaper but have no reason to either when i can already do everything i want with what i have and already know how to do it,
I have spent time with Sonar and know enough to use it, but im not feeling love for it.

So i don't think its a case of reaper not being able to do things but more about how quickly a user can pick it up,
Everyone is different you might be able to pick Reaper up quickly because it seems intuitive to the way you want to do things, but you find PT or something else a dog to learn, The next guy will be the total opposite, thats why we have choices and we make different ones.