Production on MAYH

Overall the production is pretty heavy and vastly superior to the unisound-albums, but still it's a weaker production than later albums. why?
- the snaredrum sounds a bit like paper, with to much reverb and sloppy tuning
- the bass is low in the mix, played with pick and ugly reverb, not that fat
- the clean electric guitar has an awfully plastic sound, sounds like a cheap digital Zoom-pedal, lifeless and full ov reverb
- the trademark low-distortion-guitarsound is not yet found. the fat metalguitars are cool too, but I really think low-distortion is perfect for opeth

all this being said, the production overall still suits the album, and it is one hell of a good record.

I like how the heavy guitars sound, but the acoustic/clean guitars just don't work that well. The best acoustic sound is on BWP and the bonus tracks. It's such a deep, rich sound. The drum sound could use more definition. Maybe triggering the bass drums would have helped. It's just sort of a wall of bass, which is I guess what some people like about it.

wankerness said:
I have always thought I was hearing clipping on the cymbals at the beginning of April Ethereal, I think right at the very beginning (like first measure or two of drums). I might be wrong, I don't feel like digging out the headphones to check right now.

I don't necessarily hear any clipping on that part right now (but my ears are still fucked from the Bodom gig). All I can hear is the master limiter shitting itself whenever a crash cymbal is hit and the sound of it just being pulled under really fast. Actually, it may well distort a bit during those cymbal hits. I don't think the limiter couldn't take it.

MAYH producion is evil, very very evil, just as it should be :devil:

The first time I heard it, this CD kicked my ass for real, and I had already listened to BW and SL.

Moonlapse said:
I don't necessarily hear any clipping on that part right now (but my ears are still fucked from the Bodom gig). All I can hear is the master limiter shitting itself whenever a crash cymbal is hit and the sound of it just being pulled under really fast. Actually, it may well distort a bit during those cymbal hits. I don't think the limiter couldn't take it.
Wait.. you used a double negative in your last sentence. Did you mean "I think the limiter could take it," or "I dont think the limiter could take it?"

Plus, since you are pretty good at recording/mixing/mastering now, you think you could do some sort of weekly tips? that would be cool :(

Alcapoth said:
Now, I personally favour MAYH because for me, it seems you can notice the BASS more than on any other album. Anyone agree? It has this kick-ass PUNCH (as someone here referred to it as being) that I just love. It kills. And, April Ethereal is probably the best opening to any rock/metal album I have ever heard. First time I bought the album and FIRST heard it I think I nearly pissed my pants. Phenomenal.

What the hell? I've transcribed tons of Opeth songs (some off every album), and MAYH is BY FAR the hardest to hear bass on (Still Life is second). The production itself might be "bassier" but the bass itself is extremely difficult to discern during the distorted bits. It's probably "punchier" due to the fact that it's the only Opeth album where the bassist (Akerfeldt in this case) used a pick.

suislidE said:
Wait.. you used a double negative in your last sentence. Did you mean "I think the limiter could take it," or "I dont think the limiter could take it?"

Plus, since you are pretty good at recording/mixing/mastering now, you think you could do some sort of weekly tips? that would be cool :(

Oops. The "couldn't" should be a "could". So 'I don't think the limiter could take it'.

About tips.. there's plenty of engineering forums about the place, where people much more seasoned than myself post. Something also tells me that the average Opeth fan doesn't give a crap about it.

Love the album, the production side is way better than the first two albums but I guess the drums are a bit too low in the final mix...

I was thinking aboot this today, and I want to see people's opinions. To me the production sounds like the artwork should, does that make sense? The cover art is less defined then Orchid say, and the same can be said for the production. Its denser I guess, but also a bit more blurred, not the sparse, clear twin lead stuff on Orchid/Morningrise.

Just a thought, I'm sure its coincidence but I found it interesting at least, lol.

The production as a whole and the artwork go hand in hand. Music is art, and the whole experience includes the accompanying artwork. Look at Still Life. The cover, and especially the picture on the back of the album are perfect visual representations of the overwhelming music inside. As for My Arms, Your Hearse; the production is very raw, and very dark, as should be. The name of the record says it all.

^^ absolutely. The booklet for Lateralus.. for some reason.. i think is absolutely amazing and perfectly fits the album. Ghost Reveries artwork, although excellent, doesn't fit the music imo. I think it'd suit the style of Still Life or Blackwater Park much better. But the artwork is essential in helping create the atmosphere you want to depict.

Moonlapse said:

Hmm, this is probably exactly what i am hearing.....thanks. This means i dont think i have a flawed copy.

all the best.