Production on MAYH

Kir-ir-Bannog

...no ordinary rabbit
Jul 2, 2004
Cambridge, UK
What is everyones opinion on the production of MAYH???

Im wondering if the distorted drums (especially the bass drums) are the result of poor production, or that i have a flawed copy (yes it is a legal copy bought from a reputable source).

I know its not my system, as ive played it on other systems and its still distorted (its not THAT bad, but noticeable).

Its especially apparent on the fast double bassing on april eth and when. Ive never heard anyone elses copy of it (as none of my friends are real Opeth fans).

So what's your copy like?

Err... well yes the production and sound quality is pretty poor on MAYH, but I wouldn't say the bass drum is distorted...

Having said that, your copy is probably normal... you were obviously expecting more from the quality i suppose... hehe..

i love the production of MAYH .. it had a nice amount of rawness to it, although i didn't like the snare sound much and the bass is pretty much non-existent. I've never noticed a distorted bass drum.. and i do tend to listen to the drums quite carefully.. still doesn't mean that i'm right ..how loud do you listen to it?

opeth_353 said:
i love the production of MAYH .. it had a nice amount of rawness to it, although i didn't like the snare sound much and the bass is pretty much non-existent. I've never noticed a distorted bass drum.. and i do tend to listen to the drums quite carefully.. still doesn't mean that i'm right ..how loud do you listen to it?

i can listen to it at low levels and it still sounds distorted, especially at the start of AE....im not THAT bothered as it sounds really raw which is a good thing in a way, but i just wanted to know what everyone elses copies are like and if im missing out on something due to poor quality.

Best sounding production on any Opeth album. Not technically speaking, but it's just my preference.

I can't say I've ever noticed it clipping, as you say. The album was mastered rather low in volume, when put up against most contemporary recordings. Thing that bothers me the most about the production is the harshness of the cymbals, because at some parts they're all you can hear... they were mixed in way too loud.

The production is great. Sometimes you can really hear what Lopez is doing with his feet though, same with Still Life. Me being a drummer, it anoys me more than other people, hah. But overall i like it.

I honestly never really noticed anything wrong with the production, and i've heard people call it "muddy" a million times from a million different people. Funny, because production is a big big deal to me these days, but i still don't have any complaints. I think the album sounds fantastic.

I love the production on that album. Its very raw, and it gives a very good atmosphere to the album in general.

I enjoy the production. I noticed some minor recording flaws in the cymbal work but that's it.

I love the production on MAYH, MR and SL because it's not polished like their new stuff is. I still love their post-SL work to death, but I really enjoy the rawness of their old stuff.

I quite enjoy the rawness of it all... get's you into the mood. What I really like is the way the lyrics are disposed in the sleeve. Pretty cool. The only thing is that you have to listen to the whole album (which is not really hard, i love this album!) to follow up ! hehe =)

It is signed by fredman isn't it ?

Moonlapse said:
I can't say I've ever noticed it clipping, as you say. The album was mastered rather low in volume, when put up against most contemporary recordings. Thing that bothers me the most about the production is the harshness of the cymbals, because at some parts they're all you can hear... they were mixed in way too loud.

I have always thought I was hearing clipping on the cymbals at the beginning of April Ethereal, I think right at the very beginning (like first measure or two of drums). I might be wrong, I don't feel like digging out the headphones to check right now.

I notice people here ALWAYS find some sort of "weakness" in the production of some opeth albums. But, you know what? I think they all sound fantastic. Each has its own personality if you will.

Now, I personally favour MAYH because for me, it seems you can notice the BASS more than on any other album. Anyone agree? It has this kick-ass PUNCH (as someone here referred to it as being) that I just love. It kills. And, April Ethereal is probably the best opening to any rock/metal album I have ever heard. First time I bought the album and FIRST heard it I think I nearly pissed my pants. Phenomenal.