Prog me, baby

Personally, I would recommend: (I'm not sure how your ear will interpret the music, but these are some of my personal favorites)

Emerson, Lake & Palmer
Grip, Inc.
Fates Warning
Meshuggah
Nevermore - sorry, I know your feelings, but these guys are awesome
Queensryche
The Tea Party

I think these bands go outside the lines with their music - not like Opeth, but in their own right, they seperate themselves from the garbage

Xtokalon, you are the first one to mention Agalloch and completely right with you notion of its greatness. I have doubts whether or not it is progressive, but at the end of the day I could not care less if it actually is prog. I can't wait until snow starts falling...

Originally posted by godisanathiest
John McLaughlin I've got a few songs that I really like :) And the other I'm not sure. My dad may have some :confused: I'll ask :) I'm into quite a bit of jazz and blues, my favourites being Charlie Parker, BB King, Eric CLapton, and many of the older original blues artists :)

Do you have ne recomendations

I can recommend the early albums of John McLaughlin for really weird and heavy music : Extrapolation, Devotion, My Goals Beyond, plus at least the first two Mahavishnu Orchestra records (The Inner Mounting Flame, Birds of Fire). His Shakti project is also very beautiful.

What can you say about Charlie Parker ? I haven't heard him.

(Oh, and see my new forthcoming jazz thread)

D Mullholand
-----------------------
NP: Edge of Sanity - Purgatory Afterflow

I've noticed people have a very very wide idea about what constitutes "prog". Personally, I find Kate Bush kinda proggy on her 4th and 5th albumbs, but I don't think I'd call her prog. f

I think the word prog is very special and should only be applied to those artists who's techincal skills are well above par and who aren't afriad to use them.

my 2 cents (1.2 cents US),

Satori

Originally posted by Satori

I am looking for anything that's nice and progressive, but please, not in the vein of Dream Theatre, Nevermore, Pain of Salvation and the like, not so whiney and blatantly commercial.
Satori

What????? You must be joking right???? Hit yourself in the face for this!! Now I won't say that Meshuggah is maybe the band you are looking for!!! (oh damn, just did:loco: )

As Xtokalon and Hannu stated before, Agalloch is definitely worth checking out. I would say they are only progressive in the sense that their songs have a wandering, non-repetitive quality about them. They are in no way technical and I wouldn't say they're absolutely original either. What they are is nearly a perfect blend of some of my favorite elements from many of my favorite bands. Like Opeth, Agalloch favors strong composition skills over technical stuff. Emotionally, Agalloch comes close to doing what Opeth does for me. That's saying a lot.

I think the word prog is very special and should only be applied to those artists who's techincal skills are well above par and who aren't afriad to use them.

Substitute technical with compositional. Progressive rock is music based on rock, but advanced in structure and form enough to outgrow the rock paradigm. Just take a listen to "Close to the Edge" by Yes - it's rather simple when compared to classical, but in fact, it was concieved on the level of classical. They do have themes and variations, and a sense of development in their compositions - not just by including numerous unrelated riffs.

D Mullholand
--------------------------
NP: Subway to Sally - MCMXCV

Originally posted by D Mullholand
Substitute technical with compositional. Progressive rock is music based on rock, but advanced in structure and form enough to outgrow the rock paradigm. Just take a listen to "Close to the Edge" by Yes - it's rather simple when compared to classical, but in fact, it was concieved on the level of classical. They do have themes and variations, and a sense of development in their compositions - not just by including numerous unrelated riffs.

I see what you mean, however, I try to objectify the word "prog" into meaning pure technicality and variance of song structure, something that's at least a little less subjective (if that's possible, hehe).

I'm looking for technicality first and foremost. Even if I don't like something, I still appreciate it and enjoy it on that level (ie. Gentle Giant, it drives me nuts but I love the musicianship).

Satori

I see what you mean, however, I try to objectify the word "prog" into meaning pure technicality and variance of song structure, something that's at least a little less subjective (if that's possible, hehe).

I'm looking for technicality first and foremost. Even if I don't like something, I still appreciate it and enjoy it on that level (ie. Gentle Giant, it drives me nuts but I love the musicianship).

But if the word "technicality" is already there, why do we need to redefine "prog" as that too ? And "variance of song structure" - too vague, it seems to me that the word "development" would fit more. (now who is retentively anal ?)

IIRC, you're into Genesis, but they never show off their technicality. And - you don't like Gentle Giant, except only for the musicianship ? Maybe I understood it wrong... I love Gentle Giant for their compositional skills foremost. How can you listen to "Knots" or "Pantagruel's Nativity" and not appreciate the music as a whole ?

:loco:

D Mullholand, struggler for the freedom of definitions

i checked out a couple of the bands mentioned here that i haven't heard of and i'd have to say that arcturus, the gathering, and borknagar are definitely worth checkin out, especially if you want the opeth melody/harmony type sound. and does anyone know where i can find samples for sinkadus, people have really built them in this thread and i want to hear them, especially since they were compared to opeth alot.

Maudlin of the Well is another band worth checking out.

Their latest two albums, "Bath" and "Leaving Your Body Map" absolutely rule.

There's something about those guys... their music is extremely poetic in my view.

Their music is progressive in sense that the songs structures are "asymetrical" and "epic"; also, they're progressive in the sense that they're not afraid to explore musical territories. They use what sounds like a lute in wicked ways; they use a saxophone, violins, female vocals, splashing water, and thier acccoustic guitar is some of the classiest stuff I've heard in a while.....I don't know how to describe them....there's just something "wholesome" and warm about their music, a warmth that is of course punctuated by all-out "death-metal" moments-- these moments happen and they're made more glorious just by the fact that each song is not the typical beginning to end death vox rage.. I'm yapping I guess because I'm at loss for words to describe these guys.

btw, the lead singer sounds a lot like Soul Forlorn. Something else to consider.

np: summoning a distant flame before the sun

Originally posted by bleedingskeptic
i forgot, anyone know where to get some agollach also? they sound awesome!

I think they have a site at mp3.com.

They actually have an ep (?) out but it doesn't seem nearly as honed as "pale folklore"

I would recommend straying from that one. But definitely buy Agalloch's Pale Folklore anyway you can!!