Prog Nation

Mar 24, 2005
I know that Gregg is a fan of Pain of Salvation, who are on the bill this year(Enough to make me spend upwards of $500, no joke, thank god metal shows are cheap) and there's a date in NJ Aug 7th in Asbury Park, the Convention Center. I am ****ing stoked. The full lineup is

Dream Theater
Zappa Plays Zappa
Pain of Salvation
Beardfish

Tour dates(ripped directly from Portnoy's forum)

Fri July 24th - Fillmore @ Jackie Gleason Theater - Miami, FL
Sat July 25th - Rock Hard Live - Orlando, FL
Sun July 26th - Ruth Eckard Hall - Tampa, FL *NEW*
Tues July 28th - The Tabernacle - Atlanta, GA
Wed July 29th - Thomas Wolfe Auditorium - Ashville, NC
Fri July 31st - Tower Theater - Philadelphia, PA *NEW*
Sat Aug 1st - Merriweather Post - Washington DC *
Sun Aug 2nd - Bank Of America Pavillion - Boston, MA
Tues Aug 4th - The Palace Theater - Albany, NY
Wed Aug 5th - Chevrolet Theater - Wallingford, CT *NEW*
Fri Aug 7th - Convention Hall - Asbury Park, NJ *NEW*
Tues Aug 11th - The Agora - Quebec City, QUE
Wed Aug 12th - Bell Center - Montreal, QUE
Fri Aug 14th - Molson Amphitheater - Toronto, ONT
Sun Aug 16th - The Burton Cummings Theater - Winnipeg, MAN
Tues Aug 18th - MacEwan Hall - Calgary, AB
Wed Aug 19th - Shaw Conference Center - Edmonton, AB
Fri Aug 21st - The Orpheum Theater - Minneapolis, MN
Sat Aug 22nd - Riverside Theater - Milwaukee, WI
Sun Aug 23rd - Chicago Theater - Chicago, IL
Tues Aug 25th - Temple Hoyne Buell Theater - Denver, CO
Thur Aug 27th - Event Center - San Jose, CA *NEW*
Fri Aug 28th - The Joint - Las Vegas, NV*NEW*
Sat Aug 29th - The Greek Theater - Los Angeles, CA

I am so pumped I don't even think words can describe. I've been wanting to hear Pain of Salvation live since I was 13, 5 years ago. This is like, a dream come true. Now if only they come back and do a real headlining tour...

The May 1 show is in the backyard of where I grew up but I don't think I will be going. Love Dream Theater, but the other 3 don't do much for me. Queensryche will be there as well for that show but it's not enough to convince me to spend my money.

Awesome - I saw a list of dates earlier, but this one includes more. Pain of Salvation and Dream Theater are the only "metal" bands I listen to right now (it pains me to label either of them; they are both so much more than that), so this is exciting. I'm most likely going to the show in Washington DC, since I have been planning to go there this summer anyway.

Man, was hoping to catch Dream Theater while I'm in the US for the summer, but it looks like they won't be anywhere near where I will be :p And doesn't seem too much room to cut in more dates there, and I don't think my gf will be too fond of driving for 10-12 hours to go see them in Minneapolis or Denver :p

Ah well, I already got my ticket to go see them @ Ahoy in Rotterdam, with Opeth as special guests on the 7th of October, 2 days after Progpower Europe. And we're going to see Damian Wilson + band on the 9th of October. Thats going to be one memorable week of metal :p

Awesome - I saw a list of dates earlier, but this one includes more. Pain of Salvation and Dream Theater are the only "metal" bands I listen to right now (it pains me to label either of them; they are both so much more than that), so this is exciting. I'm most likely going to the show in Washington DC, since I have been planning to go there this summer anyway.

Well, this changes things! Maybe I will try to go. Of course, Merriweather Post is not in DC, it's in Columbia about 45 minutes from DC. It's actually closer to Baltimore.
I will be heading to North Carolina in August but I can't remember the day I'm leaving. Will have to look into that.
Maybe we can hook up, Gregg. I can show you dullness that is my hometown. My parents still live in the house I grew up in. I used to work at Merriweather Post and used to ride my bike there.

i am still not sure if I am seeing this or not... but I will be living in Hershey, PA by then and it may be just as close for me to go to Merriweather than it is for me to go to Philly and i think I am available that weekend, so maybe I will try to go to the "D.C." date. I could care less about Zappa plays Zappa. And I am not like die-hard fans of PoS or Beardfish but I like the music. Dream Theater will be playing new material by then and not doing another "systematic chaos" tour cause I seriously could not watch that set AGAIN (already seen it twice). Not a fan of the systematic chaos album. Anyone know when tickets go on sale?

What an awesome lineup. :D
Beardfish are great live.
I recently bought the Zappa Plays Zappa DVD (my first real contact with the music of FZ), and I really love the musicianship.

I'd much rather go to the UK show where Frost* is opening up for Dream Theater. (which FROST* is AWESOME live, and I got to hang out with them all this past weekend. They are GREAT people!) But I can't exactly afford that little excursion especially since I will be flying back from Germany only a few days before those shows. That will be an awesome show for anyone who can go to that one (i think there are two dates that Frost* is opening up the tour in the UK). I heard they were asked to do the USA tour but they had to decline it due to scheduling conflicts. Such a bummer.

Well, you all might have seen this already but both PoS and Beardfish have pulled out of PN09. This is not surprising. I was told weeks ago that SPV went bankrupt, and so InsideOut will probably go down with them. Things in the music biz are not good. :(

For Immediate Release
June 22nd, 2009

It is with the utmost disappointment that I am forced to share the unfortunate news of both Pain Of Salvation and Beardfish having to pull out of this summer's Progressive Nation tour....

Their label Inside Out just recently lost the financial funding for the tour as a result of their distributor SPV recently claiming bankruptcy...which effectively meant that both Pain Of Salvation and Beardfish lost the tour support that was essential to their ability to come to North America for Progressive Nation.

All parties involved (myself, both bands, Inside Out, etc) are beyond devastated at this turn of events and are truly sorry to all of the fans that were looking forward to this lineup. We tried everything we could do to salvage the situation, but in the end it was not possible...

Well as the album title says, every Black Cloud does indeed have a Silver Lining....so with this unfortunate news, I bring to you the good news of 2 incredible bands that will jumping on board Progressive Nation to join Dream Theater and Zappa Plays Zappa this summer: Bigelf and Scale The Summit.

Los Angeles' Bigelf are my personal favorite new band to come along in many years...their latest CD "Cheat The Gallows" is my favorite album of the year and I already had positioned them onto the European run of Progressive Nation in the Fall....with them now joining us on PN09 in North America as well, it looks like world domination is now not that far out of reach for them!
Pretty soon, everyone will hopefully be falling for their retro, psychedelic, progressive, hard rock, doom metal as hard as I have!

Houston instrumental band Scale The Summit are a recent discovery for me and their top notch musicianship will be a perfect fit to this Progressive Nation lineup stylistically falling very nicely between the musicality of Dream Theater and Zappa Plays Zappa. They bring the instrumental elements of prog rock and fusion into today's contemporary hard rock/metal sounds and are one of the most talented group of young musicians I've seen assembled in many years.

Once again, apologies to anybody disappointed in this unexpected and unavoidable lineup change...but the circumstances were beyond our control...
In any event, PN09 will carry on and still deliver the most musical bang for its buck this summer throughout North America and we look forward to sharing the evening with you!

Sincerely,
Your Progressive Rock Ambassador,
Mike Portnoy