Prog Rock

Something with.. hmm, Fl.. Flijd? No.. hmm, let me try again. Purple.. Deep Purple? No, not them. .. Flejd maybe. Nope, not that either.. Purple Flois.. perhaps the opposite, Flois Purple.. Damn, its not Purple, its pink I think. Flois Pink. Damn somethings not right. Its the opposite again.. Pink Flois. AH! Now i remember -> PINK FLOYD!

Jethro Tull, although they only really made a couple of true "prog" albums- "Thick As A Brick" and "A Passion Play", both of which are incredible, two of the best albums ever conceived. Also check out Aqualung which is a sort of pseudo-concept album, and....fuck, check out all their albums, they're mostly all great!

if you wanna consider Nightingale prog rock, then definitely them... great music either way... probably leaning a little more towards gothic or standard rock than prog, but they have keyboards and stuff... hehe

TakinTheMusicBack said:
Jethro Tull, although they only really made a couple of true "prog" albums- "Thick As A Brick" and "A Passion Play", both of which are incredible, two of the best albums ever conceived. Also check out Aqualung which is a sort of pseudo-concept album, and....fuck, check out all their albums, they're mostly all great!
Exactly.

The Mars Volta maybe? I borrowed De-Loused In The Comatorium from a friend and when I did a CDDB query it said "progressive rock". I haven't listened so much yet, but it sounds... interesting :)

I would say that King Crimson is far more heavy then Dream Theater.
(on someones remark on Dream Theater being heavy)
Dream Theater is trying so hard to be heavy, but it just sounds pathetic.

Try these albums:
Anekdoten - Nucleus (Real prog)
King Crimson - The power to belive (Proggy rock)
King Crimson - Thrak
Ephel Duath - The Painters Palette (Proggy metal/hc with jazz influences)
Meshuggah - Nothing (Awesome and highmaintenace metal)
Theory in Practice - Colonizing the sun (Fast, proggy, melodic and brutal)
Pain of Salvation - Entropia (Dont think i need to explain that one here..)
Pain of Salvation - Remedy lane
Pink Floyd - The wall (..nor do i with this)
Refused - The shape of punk to come (Just listen to it, amazing. Some may say that it isnt proggy, but you cant convince me otherwise!)

Also, some non-prog recommendations:
Ulver - Perdition City (One of the best albums ever, dark urbanlike electronica)
Anathema - A fine day to exit (Amazing depressive-rock)
Jeff Buckley - Grace (Just plain good, nothing special in terms of musictheory)
Boards of Canada - Geogaddi (Psychadelic electronica)
Iniquity - Grime (Brutal death kinda)

Also, check out my project's song.
www.defluo.com/whisk-what_if_we_could_live(alternate_version).mp3

Mail splump@home.se with thoughts on the song please.

Have fun with the albums!