Promote Opeth

NineFeetUnderground said:
i really dont know why people think opeth should be the ice breaker for non metal fans. the songs are challenging in themselves more times than not, let alone the death vocals, unconventional melodies and meandering arrangements etc. Youd think more people would try metallica or in flames or stratovarius or something more simple and poppy like that. :ill:

that would work better assuming that the subject is a fan of simple and poppy music in the first place....not complex and mature music.

Ive gotten a few people into Opeth, But I wasnt trying at all. Masters Apprentice got 'em suckers.

JoeVice said:
that would work better assuming that the subject is a fan of simple and poppy music in the first place....not complex and mature music.
+1

But you have to say somedays you simply want to listen to something simple

^ yeah what he said... Opeth is also quite a good choice for people who are into progrock - think many guys here listened to stuff like Porcupine Tree at first. I did the oher way around though - from deathmetal... Actually, Opeth opened a world of mellow music for me :lol:

I agree with you Wreath. I listened to mostly death metal at first. Opeth opened me up to more music.

Kenneth R. said:
yes... this is what i do.

but then, you're a hypocrite, because you come here despite your professed disinterest in Opeth & metal in general, pushing your indie love-affair on the people who post on UM, who may or may not listen to more than metal. Essentially you do care what we listen to or you wouldn't have argued for pages about that stupid band you like, or post an 'appreciation' thread for them in GMD. so yes, take your own advice :Spin:

or maybe im just trolling you sillies and you keep biting

I pushed Opeth on my best friend for about 3 years... he kept ignoring me. Finally I got him to watch Lamentations. Then he bought Damnation, then Ghost Reveries - Now he tells me how unbelievable Opeth is....

I really only push my music on my friends because I want to have someone to share my discoveries with so they can feel as pumped as I get for some of the bands I discover.

Opeth was the first metal band I liked - since then I have had my ears opened to 50 more bands that I love. Opeth will always be the best.

i really dont know why people think opeth should be the ice breaker for non metal fans. the songs are challenging in themselves more times than not, let alone the death vocals, unconventional melodies and meandering arrangements etc. Youd think more people would try metallica or in flames or stratovarius or something more simple and poppy like that. :ill:
why "recommend" something you consider mediocre at best, though?

Spectacular Views said:
if they're interested let them come to you about it, and certainly dont be any more proactive than saying "hey check this cd out". there are more important things in a friend than their taste in music. once i realized that i pretty much stopped caring what my friends lsiten to :)

SPOT ON, my best friends have, IMO the worst taste possible, and they think the same for me. It has been a long standing joke between us for years (decades actually:cry: ).

NeverIsForever said:
why "recommend" something you consider mediocre at best, though?

i suppose thats true. thats typically why i never recommend music unless someone asks. i dont care enough, why should they benefit if theyre too lazy to inquire in the first place.

however, maybe im a bit biased, considering i liked opeth's style and sound when i first got into them, but they werent "groundbreaking" for me by any stretch of the imagination. i got into them the same time as most the extreme metal bands i started out with, ala emperor, abigor, enslaved, at the gates, carcass, morbid angel, etc etc...so all the bands at the time impacted me in different ways, Opeth just happened to have longer songs than most. But being a Rush, Zeppelin, Floyd, Yes fan before that...it wasnt completely new to me, but i did appreciate how they took a lot of that creativity and artistic scope and fused it into the metal genre, so that certainly stood out.

but to get back to another statement directed at me, someone said "im assuming that everyone is just into pop before opeth, etc". Well, not really, but the AVERAGE person doesnt listen to long, and semi-challenging music, so i was generalizing. but looking back, youre right...the only people i recommended Opeth to were ones whos taste and aptitude (patience really) seemed like they would handle/appreciate it. Granted Opeth is pretty tame and easy to listen to in the long run, but for someone unfamiliar with oddball melodies and long songs and especially death growls, etc...it often can be wasted on the wrong person. maybe im talking circles, but i think you get the idea.

is that some sort of weird bagpiper saying or something? wtf are you talking about...

Just thought that you were trying to get a reaction with the comment that Opeth's music is tame, i.e. stiring it (nothng to do with bagpipes, windbag perhaps :) )
I actually agree with your post in its entirety, except the tame bit. Depend on where you were, musically, before I suppose.
Wreath: I am not a 'fanboy', whatever that it is, by the way.

Ken Lyall said:
Just thought that you were trying to get a reaction with the comment that Opeth's music is tame, i.e. stiring it (nothng to do with bagpipes, windbag perhaps :) )
I actually agree with your post in its entirety, except the tame bit. Depend on where you were, musically, before I suppose.
Wreath: I am not a 'fanboy', whatever that it is, by the way.

by tame i just meant theyre "sweeter" than most death metal bands...more "melodic" than most death metal bands, PLUS the acoustic guitars and clean vocals, etc. it wasnt a poke at the band, i was just saying by metal standards, theyre not overly "in your face".