Promote Opeth

Ken Lyall said:
TAME: subdued, spiritless, dull, insipid. MY dictionary tells me so. I underdstand the point but tame is not the right word.
SWEETER: pleasing to the senses, fragrant, pleasant or melodious in sound, charming , aimable, gracious. Thats the right word:loco:

lol...tame as in...death metal with not so much death or metal.

coldplay is not "horrible". theyre no radiohead, thats for sure, but i dont think theyre trying to be...i dont see how people draw that comparison. its like saying lynard skynard is no led zeppelin. :rolleyes:

but anyone on a metal forum, judging a decent band like coldplay as being "horrible", really has some deeper lining homosexuality issues they need to work out. if you can listen to damnation, you should be able to listen to coldplay. Opeth is NOT elite. period.

Ken Lyall said:
TAME: subdued, spiritless, dull, insipid. MY dictionary tells me so. I underdstand the point but tame is not the right word.
SWEETER: pleasing to the senses, fragrant, pleasant or melodious in sound, charming , aimable, gracious. Thats the right word:loco:

in a "death metal" context, opeth is very tame. that is the right word. concerning the melodies...opeth is "sweeter". that is also the right word for THAT particular context.

cryptopsy's blasphemy made flesh and none so vile would be untame albums in my book. but i'm sure there are people here who have heard even less tame stuff out there.

NineFeetUnderground said:
coldplay is not "horrible". theyre no radiohead, thats for sure, but i dont think theyre trying to be...i dont see how people draw that comparison. its like saying lynard skynard is no led zeppelin. :rolleyes:

but anyone on a metal forum, judging a decent band like coldplay as being "horrible", really has some deeper lining homosexuality issues they need to work out. if you can listen to damnation, you should be able to listen to coldplay. Opeth is NOT elite. period.

I disagree there are definate notable parts where they have taken it from radiohead but made less 'extreme'. Radiohead sells. But coldplay sells more. Too me they sound like radiohead but the ideas just arent as well thought out and this in turn makes it more listenable to the public. Iv always thought this of coldplay and could possibly go on for eternity about how they are in the shadow of radiohead to me.

affinityband said:
I disagree there are definate notable parts where they have taken it from radiohead but made less 'extreme'. Radiohead sells. But coldplay sells more. Too me they sound like radiohead but the ideas just arent as well thought out and this in turn makes it more listenable to the public. Iv always thought this of coldplay and could possibly go on for eternity about how they are in the shadow of radiohead to me.

well, someone who draws a comparison between the two obviously hasnt really been paying attention. Both can be melancholy bands, with "mellow" approaches to rock music, but coldplay typically sticks to a pure blues based form of rock, whereas radiohead has done entire albums that sound NOTHING like any portion of coldplay's catalog for all intensive purposes. Im not saying radiohead wasnt influential to coldplay, but just not enough for me to really even see the point or ability to compare them. And anyone who does, is cutting coldplay short of their own niche, and reducing what radiohead does to streamlined radio alternarock.

the only one radiohead album that truly doesnt sound like cold play at all is kid a. Which actually happens to be my favourite as they did something a little different from the previous releases. I pay way more attention to radiohead than coldplay as a general listening stance. But there, to me, sounds like simplifyed radiohead ideas.

@affinity: i think you draw these conclusions regarding the two bands' vocal styles and alternative sound. but the biggest difference is evident:

radiohead are neurotic. they aim at making their sound, attitude and lyricism that way. coldplay, on the other hand, -with their attitude, overall sound and everything- are very decent and straight.

How has this turned from a "promote Opeth" topic to a "did Coldplay rip off Radiohead" topic?

Well, they're both good bands, and I think Radiohead is more talented overall, but sometimes Coldplay suits my mood better. So meh to you all.

people who listen to complex and mature music like opeth better than people who listen to simple and poppy music -> people who like sweet and tame music like opeth more than people who like ravaging psychotic metal -> people who like coldplay like opeth better than people who like only brutal death metal -> coldplay sucks -> random "i like them"s -> coldplay is a ripoff of radiohead -> no they are similar....

thats how.

JoeVice said:
people who listen to complex and mature music like opeth better than people who listen to simple and poppy music -> people who like sweet and tame music like opeth more than people who like ravaging psychotic metal -> people who like coldplay like opeth better than people who like only brutal death metal -> coldplay sucks -> random "i like them"s -> coldplay is a ripoff of radiohead -> no they are similar....

thats how.

no. inaccurate. i like all the above bands, and plenty more which share sides with either extreme. complexity has very little to do with anything. as does pop appeal. the beatles have pop appeal. pink floyd have pop appeal. but both bands have their complex moments. and both bands have their simple pop moments. end.