Pyramaze + Iced Earth show...?

I didnt know Iced Earth was a one man band consisting of just Matt Barlow before he left... After all Jon Schaffer is the guy you should be focused on... Owens is a damn good singer and you all just need to get over the fact that Barlow is no longer in Iced Earth. Embrace the new Iced Earth.

I didnt know Iced Earth was a one man band consisting of just Matt Barlow before he left... After all Jon Schaffer is the guy you should be focused on... Owens is a damn good singer and you all just need to get over the fact that Barlow is no longer in Iced Earth. Embrace the new Iced Earth.

Absolutely. Ripper is a helluva vocalist...after all, he replaced one of the most revered singers in metal...Rob Halford. Dare it to say, Barlow doesn't have that distinction & never will...l don't think he could sustain the high end range that Rob & Tim do on a nightly basis. Furthermore, it's obvious Jon has a different vision for the band now and Barlow did not fit it. Hence the conflict of interests when recording for TGB started with Matt.

BTW - Framing Armegeddon is epic!

Absolutely. Ripper is a helluva vocalist...after all, he replaced one of the most revered singers in metal...Rob Halford. Dare it to say, Barlow doesn't have that distinction & never will...l don't think he could sustain the high end range that Rob & Tim do on a nightly basis. Furthermore, it's obvious Jon has a different vision for the band now and Barlow did not fit it. Hence the conflict of interests when recording for TGB started with Matt.

Well Framing Armageddon was going to be better then the glorious burden anyway :lol: since glorious burden was still written for maths voice en Armageddon is more adjusted to the ripper's voice, thats what i think anyway ^^'

If by "epic" you mean incredibly bland and sleep-indulging then yeah, it sure is epic as hell!!
smile_nod.gif

l don't think he could sustain the high end range that Rob & Tim do on a nightly basis
Maybe not. But singing is more than just high pitched screaming. Ripper can scream like a motherfucker, but it seems like that's pretty much the only thing he exells at. He can put about as much emotion (anger, sadness, despair,...) in his voice as a large bag of flour.

GuitarRage99 said:
I didnt know Iced Earth was a one man band consisting of just Matt Barlow before he left
It wasn't. It was - and still is - a one man band consisting of Jonjon and his guest musicians. The Jon Shaffer Band would probably be a better name :)

Owens is a damn good singer and you all just need to get over the fact that Barlow is no longer in Iced Earth.
You're right, Owens probably is one of the better singers in the metal scene today, although I'm not a big fan of his singing personally. I loved him in Priest, though. And I got over the fact that Barlow left IE a looooong time ago. In fact, I'm glad he's not in IE anymore 'cause IE's music seems to keep getting worse and it's not worthy of Matt's voice anymore .

Embrace the new Iced Earth
Hmm no, I don't think I will.

Ascension said:

I will whole-heartedly disagree with you saying Matt can't sustain the high end range on a nightly basis. He can do that and so much more in my personal opinion and I wasn't really impressed hearing ripper's voice with Iced Earth. Its like listening to an offspring of Beyond Fear (Beyond Earth, Iced Fear.) Seeing them live with Ripper as the frontman didn't do anything for me personally.

Ripper is an awesome vocalist most definately, and Im not saying otherwise, but Barlow does have a distinction for being one of the best voices in metal whether you choose to notice it or not. So he has replaced two of the most revered singers in metal in his time. Congrats Ripper, but I'll save the cigars for Barlow being in Pyramaze.

Well Framing Armageddon was going to be better then the glorious burden anyway :lol: since glorious burden was still written for maths voice en Armageddon is more adjusted to the ripper's voice, thats what i think anyway ^^'

I would definately have to agree with you on that because it is an excellent point. Jon had everything written and recorded with Matt's voice and emotion in mind. Ripper is an amazing singer, but he just can't match up to what was written for Barlow. Sure he did a great job of trying to make it his own, but Im still not satisfied with thinking about what it could have sounded like in comparison.

Again, Im not ripping on Ripper. (no pun intended) I just don't think he is better than Barlow when it comes to the Iced Earth sound. I look forward to hearing Barlow's voice with Pyramaze, even though I was a big fan of Lance King's work. No doubt it will be a lot different, but I trust Matt's voice. I'd be a fool not to.

It just comes down to personal taste, or lack of it ... ( just kidding :lol: ) ; some people think owens isn't that bad in IE ,while others ( like me ) think while Owens is still a very good singer he doesn't give you the same ghouse bump ( or whatever you call it ) feeling with dracula and question of heaven ^^

so in conclusion let's just hope framing armageddon fits more with the ripper, and matt gets along with pyramaze ( and we get to hear something soon ^^ ) so we can conclude this dark saga of barlow vs owens :lol:

Mass walkout? Unlikely.

Something more realistic would be fans chanting for Barlow to come out and kick Ripper off the stage and take over the rest of the set.

Poor Owens... first in the shadow of Halford, now Barlow... with someone with such an amazing voicer, he does get the short end of the stick and his talents really will not be recognized unless he makes an explosive original band.

doesn't he already have his own band ?? can't remember the name though

So did those of you with great disdain for Owens hate Iced Earth for the first two albums? Just curious.

Also, I didn't see anyone walk out when I saw Iced Earth back when Glorious Burden came out...well, except when I stepped out to escape the cigarette smoke for a bit before they came on stage.

I don't understand why there has to be so much hatred...I think Matt is awesome, I think Tim is awesome. I think they both make Iced Earth awesome.

Now when are we going to get some Pyramaze with Matt?? I'm going to go bonkers if I have to wait much longer. Bring on the new recordings!

So did those of you with great disdain for Owens hate Iced Earth for the first two albums? Just curious.

Also, I didn't see anyone walk out when I saw Iced Earth back when Glorious Burden came out...well, except when I stepped out to escape the cigarette smoke for a bit before they came on stage.

I don't understand why there has to be so much hatred...I think Matt is awesome, I think Tim is awesome. I think they both make Iced Earth awesome.

Now when are we going to get some Pyramaze with Matt?? I'm going to go bonkers if I have to wait much longer. Bring on the new recordings!

September .... September ... :erk: ... so long ...

Obsolum said:
Maybe not. But singing is more than just high pitched screaming. Ripper can scream like a motherfucker, but it seems like that's pretty much the only thing he exells at. He can put about as much emotion (anger, sadness, despair,...) in his voice as a large bag of flour.

So, what Rob Halford (who is legendary in metal btw) & Tim Owens do is just screaming? And with no emotion? I'm pretty sure scores of Judas Priest fans will extremely disagree with you.
I guess it's all about personal preferences...I've heard alot of people say that what Barlow does is warbling or mumbling & not singing, so...

I will whole-heartedly disagree with you saying Matt can't sustain the high end range on a nightly basis.

Ahh so you've heard him sustain a high end range necessary for 2 hours worth of Judas Priest tunes? Wow...I want to hear this...where can I get a copy?

So, what Rob Halford (who is legendary in metal btw) & Tim Owens do is just screaming? And with no emotion? I'm pretty sure scores of Judas Priest fans will extremely disagree with you.
I wasn't talking about Halford, I was talking about Tim Owens. And I didn't say all he does is screaming, I said that's all he's good at. And yeah, Tim can hardly put any emotion into his voice. I won't say no emotion at all, but... very limited anyway.

I guess it's all about personal preferences...
Of course it is. Just like everything else in life.

Ahh so you've heard him sustain a high end range necessary for 2 hours worth of Judas Priest tunes? Wow...I want to hear this...where can I get a copy?

you don't have to be a smarta$$, Im saying that Barlow has a range and has no problem sustaining his vocals for a long set. He does do high ranged vocals, unless you have never listened to any Iced Earth which then I suppose you shouldn't even be having this discussion with any of us since you have no idea what you're talking about. Go listen to Alive in Athens.

And just in case you missed the memo, we're not talking about Barlow being in Judas Priest or being able to sing Judas Priest for two hours long wherever that came from. I do believe we're discussing Barlow Era Iced Earth vs. Ripper Era Iced Earth on which is better so far and why they probably won't be doing a one off show together. So FOR Iced Earth I do believe Barlow showed a hell of a lot more emotion and talent as a front man for Iced Earth vocally and performance wise. Its my opinion and Im not asking you to like it or asking you to tell me whether Im right or wrong. :Smug:

Solon said:
doesn't he already have his own band ?? can't remember the name though

Yeah I mentioned it in my previous post, his band is called Beyond Fear.

you don't have to be a smarta$$, Im saying that Barlow has a range and has no problem sustaining his vocals for a long set. He does do high ranged vocals, unless you have never listened to any Iced Earth which then I suppose you shouldn't even be having this discussion with any of us since you have no idea what you're talking about. Go listen to Alive in Athens.

And just in case you missed the memo, we're not talking about Barlow being in Judas Priest or being able to sing Judas Priest for two hours long wherever that came from. I do believe we're discussing Barlow Era Iced Earth vs. Ripper Era Iced Earth on which is better so far and why they probably won't be doing a one off show together. So FOR Iced Earth I do believe Barlow showed a hell of a lot more emotion and talent as a front man for Iced Earth vocally and performance wise. Its my opinion and Im not asking you to like it or asking you to tell me whether Im right or wrong. :Smug:

Yeah I mentioned it in my previous post, his band is called Beyond Fear.

Thats one heck of an argument ; and quite right :lol:

I think a lot of users on here like Pyramaze now only because Barlow is going to sing for them... And that pisses me off because Lance king has become one of my favorite vocalists of all time. I mean now suddenly everyone is just complaining about Iced Earth sucking... and Pyramaze being awesome NOW because Barlow is with them... They were always awesome. Get over the fact that iced earth is no longer where YOU want them to be... And Framing Armageddon is totally badass... Its Jon's work of art that hes been writing FOREVER and i really think this album is awesome...

I think a lot of users on here like Pyramaze now only because Barlow is going to sing for them... And that pisses me off because Lance king has become one of my favorite vocalists of all time. I mean now suddenly everyone is just complaining about Iced Earth sucking... and Pyramaze being awesome NOW because Barlow is with them... They were always awesome. Get over the fact that iced earth is no longer where YOU want them to be... And Framing Armageddon is totally badass... Its Jon's work of art that hes been writing FOREVER and i really think this album is awesome...

He'd better been writing FOREVER ; if he wanted to make something wicked this way comes part 2 as good as part 1 ( And no i don't mean vocal wise this time :lol: )

Im actually good friends with Lance King and I've mentioned a few times now that I am a big fan of what Lance has done with Pyramaze. Im also a huge fan of Krucible which features Lance King in all his awesome goodness as a frontman. I do agree that Pyramaze has always been a great band and they still are. I've never said otherwise. :headbang:

oh and I was able to be front row for Pyramaze when they performed at ProgPowerUSA. That was awesome!

Wow, what a discussion. I am quite of the same opinion as GuitarRage, I kinda think that some people are so happy about Barlow coming back, that they leave the music itself in the back. I mean, it somehow seems people are of the opinion that IE:s music started sucking when Barlow left. Mind you, I don't think IE is still as awesome as before, but in no way is the music bad. On the contrary, it still kicks major ass, just not with the force of an atomic bomb.

Anyway, Barlow won't bring Iced Earth to Pyramaze, so I hope people are not dreaming of a new Iced Earth.

For the record I was merely defending Barlow's voice in those debates. I hope no one is coming to the conclusion that I only like Pyramaze because Barlow is in it now. I loved Pyramaze because of Lance and how powerful the music was that the musician's wrote. I will still love the music without a doubt and I am excited for Pyramaze and hope they do an amazing job writing something as fierce and epic as the previous two. As far as Iced Earth, the music doesn't suck at all (never has, never will)...its still the same great Iced Earth as always just with a different vocalist that Im trying to get accustom to. All in all I just can't wait for both bands to dish out something amazing.

I know Pyramaze is more than capable considering The Legend of the Bone Carver was sheer brilliance, but then again so was Melancholy Beast and Lance's voice was powerful and emotional and will surely be missed in Pyramaze's sound. Same goes for Iced Earth, the music has always been right there in your face and even the slower stuff is so powerful and moving you can't help but be 'wowed' on occasion. A lot of the emotion came across in the vocals. I have no doubt that with Iced Earth writing for Ripper's style, the music and vocals are going to be a force not easily reckoned with.

He has the ability to "reach" for higher notes but he doesn't sustain the higher range for any stretch of time...especially a 2 hour performance. I have AiA...mostly mid range & lower. l've sang in a prog metal band with vocals comparable to Tate/Halford/Labrie...believe me, l understand high range. Your example fails.

PatrickHoyt said:

You missed the logical part of the discussion. So let me map it out for you...you can't mention Ripper's vocals in IE without bringing his tenure in Judas Priest into the discussion just as you can't discuss Barlow's soon to be contribution to Pyramaze without bringing in the fact of his tenure in IE. So, for the debates sake, the fact that Tim has successfully fronted a legendary, high profile, massive touring band & Matt has not...tends to give the edge to Tim. Of course, if you're not a JP fan...well it's all pretty much subjective. Everybody has there own likes/dislikes. I like the fact that Ripper brings a whole new level to IE...one that Jon hasn't been able to achieve with Matt...it was touched on with TGB even though it wasn't written for Tim. Framing Armegeddon is huge...epic in proportion to any previous releases...Tim's a part of that. :headbang:

It could be that there will have to be some changes made in Pyramaze's older material in order to accomodate Matt's vocals. We'll see.