Question for Tad Morose fans...

ConnieOH

Metal Lover in Ohio
May 9, 2006
Toledo, Ohio
www.last.fm
I had heard of Tad Morose over the past years, but never checked them out until recently when I bought the Undead CD with Urban Breed on vocals. I'm really liking it and want to know which of their other releases I might like if I like Undead? How are the releases before and after Urban on vocals - are the other vocalists as good? Has the band's style changed over time with the newer releases?

All the discs with Urban Breed are pretty much on par with each other, and all of them are great.

Personally, I love the early era stuff as well. The biggest difference is the inclusion of keyboards, and a proggier style of writing as opposed to the melodic power metal of the Urban Breed era.

The first singer is Kristian Andre'en (if I recall the name correctly), who also sang on the first few Wuthering Heights CDs. Very good singer. I'd highly recommend working your way backwards through the collection, as "Mended Rhyme" does serve as a good bridge between the two eras. If that CD doesn't work, go no further backwards.

(impatiently awaiting Boob's reply :))

The old (first 3 albums) TAD MOROSE was fantastic. Once they got Urban in and lost the progressive touch, they became "just another" power metal band. Not saying they aren't good, but the first three discs (especially the "Paradigma" EP) are unbeatable.

c.

I had heard of Tad Morose over the past years, but never checked them out until recently when I bought the Undead CD with Urban Breed on vocals. I'm really liking it and want to know which of their other releases I might like if I like Undead? How are the releases before and after Urban on vocals - are the other vocalists as good? Has the band's style changed over time with the newer releases?

The pre-Urban era was pretty good, but more doomy and progressive, with lots of keys. Sender Of Thoughts and Leaving The Past Behind were damn fine discs for the style. The singer was good too. The 1st Urban disc (A Mended Rhyme) never really grabbed me, save for a few songs. It was sort of a mix of the earlier style and the more straight-forward style that would follow.

While I like the early discs, the 3 albums released in the 2000s are my faves and pretty much all in the same style, traditional heavy/power metal stuff, on the heavier side of the spectrum, no happy stuff there, no more proggy stuff. Undead is probably my fave, but if you enjoy it, you can't go wrong with the follow-ups, Matters Of The Dark and Modus Vivendi, which were also excellent.

And if you like Urban's vox, check out the band BLOODBOUND. Nosferatu (2005) and Tabula Rasa (2009) features his great vocals and are very good power metal discs. Book Of The Dead (2007) is also good, but has another singer, Michael Bormann.

Hope this helps.

My top two Tad Morose songs on albums you do not have. Great representations of these discs, enjoy!

"Sword Of Retribution" from the CD "Matters Of The Dark"

"Anubis" from the CD "Modus Vivendi"

Last edited by a moderator:
Modus Vivendi destroys all else. It combined all the awesome aspects of old Savatage and Crimson Glory, and beefed them up big time to produce one of the best metal cds I've heard in a loooooong time. It's hard to beat this cd. Amazing stuff.

When considered as three successive releases, I'd say the trifecta of Undead, Matters of the Dark and Modus Vivendi represents the finest trio of Power Metal releases by a single band in the last twenty years. Possibly Iced Earth's trio of The Dark Saga, Something Wicked This Way Comes and Horror Show tops it, but at worst, Tad Morose is second.

I personally rank the top 3 Tad Morose albums like this:
1. Modus Vivendi
2. Matters Of The Dark
3. Undead

you can't go wrong with any of those 3. Like Zod said, they are just about perfect.

When considered as three successive releases, I'd say the trifecta of Undead, Matters of the Dark and Modus Vivendi represents the finest trio of Power Metal releases by a single band in the last twenty years. Possibly Iced Earth's trio of The Dark Saga, Something Wicked This Way Comes and Horror Show tops it, but at worst, Tad Morose is second.

I personally rank the top 3 Tad Morose albums like this:
1. Modus Vivendi
2. Matters Of The Dark
3. Undead

you can't go wrong with any of those 3. Like Zod said, they are just about perfect.

Both Zod and Venom have hit the nail on the head! I'll add that Tad Morose is and probably always will be a main highlight of my ProgPower memories. Quite frankly one of the best performances I've ever seen!

~Brian~

Really? I would have gone the opposite direction on this: Stormrider, Burnt Offerings and Saga. I just have not been able to get into the stuff after Saga.

Really? I would have gone the opposite direction on this: Stormrider, Burnt Offerings and Saga. I just have not been able to get into the stuff after Saga.

Interesting. You don't like "Something Wicked..."? That's pretty rare it seems, while I understand not liking "Horror Show".

Okay, so I'll be honest I had never heard of anything from this band. I've heard them briefly talked about on other threads but nothing to the point of making me curious. I finally listened to about 4 or 5 songs on their myspace, and I'd have to say to me they just sound like another power metal band. Are those tracks up on their myspace from their last three? If so, then I'll agree with Claus on this.

Modus Vivendi is my favorite, Undead was also the first album I got of theirs.