Question for Tad Morose fans...

(impatiently awaiting Boob's reply :))

LOL... Can't believe I didn't see this thread earlier today. :lol:

The old (first 3 albums) TAD MOROSE was fantastic. Once they got Urban in and lost the progressive touch, they became "just another" power metal band. Not saying they aren't good, but the first three discs (especially the "Paradigma" EP) are unbeatable.

I pretty much agree with everything Claus said here, except that I think everything the band has done is brilliant -- just for different reasons. Their first 2.5 albums (Leaving the Past Behind, Sender of Thoughts, Paradigma) are some of the best doomy prog ever written -- and with one of my all-time favorite vocalists, to boot. (I know batmura has, in the past, accused me of giving oral sex to Kristian Andren. :lol: ) The last three albums (Undead, Matters of the Dark, Modus Vivendi) are some of the best dark power metal ever written -- with another of my all-time favorite vocalists, to boot. The transition album (A Mended Rhyme) brilliantly blends elements of both of these eras; you have NOT heard Urban Breed until you've heard him sing a dark, depressing song like "But Angels Shine".

For what it's worth, Sender of Thoughts is my third favorite metal album of all time (behind Savatage - Edge of Thorns and Morgana Lefay - Maleficium). It's far, far different to Undead, though, and I find that most people love only one Tad Morose era or the other.

Interesting. You don't like "Something Wicked..."? That's pretty rare it seems, while I understand not liking "Horror Show".

It's not a bad album, I think what happened was that my roommate at the time played it non-stop for about a year and I just got completely tired of hearing it. The trilogy off of it is good though.

Really? I would have gone the opposite direction on this: Stormrider, Burnt Offerings and Saga.
Iced Earth was one of the first bands I got into, when I got back into Metal (1999). So I started with Something Wicked. I rarely listen to Burnt Offerings (just a dreadful mix) and don't even own Stormrider (not a fan of John Greely's vocals). That said, I think I may revisit Stormrider today.

I just have not been able to get into the stuff after Saga.
I agree with nomisofsiman, that's just weird.

The transition album (A Mended Rhyme) brilliantly blends elements of both of these eras; you have NOT heard Urban Breed until you've heard him sing a dark, depressing song like "But Angels Shine".
I own A Mender Rhyme, but never listen to it. I think I'll revisit that as well today.

For what it's worth, Sender of Thoughts is my third favorite metal album of all time (behind Savatage - Edge of Thorns and Morgana Lefay - Maleficium).
Hmmm... whenever someone (whose opinion I respect) says, "favorite of all-time" and I'm not familiar with it, it makes me curious.

For what it's worth, Sender of Thoughts is my third favorite metal album of all time (behind Savatage - Edge of Thorns and Morgana Lefay - Maleficium).

Hmmm...I'm such an Urban Breed fanboy, I've never given the pre-Urban stuff a listen. Your comment makes me want to go exploring, because your two comparisons are right up my alley! :)

~Brian~

Iced Earth was one of the first bands I got into, when I got back into Metal (1999). So I started with Something Wicked. I rarely listen to Burnt Offerings (just a dreadful mix) and don't even own Stormrider (not a fan of John Greely's vocals). That said, I think I may revisit Stormrider today.

I guess that it is kind of the same situation for me, I started listening during the Stormrider/Offerings period. The same could be said for many bands, the stuff you get into first is what you like and frequently later material seems to be a let down. This applies to Gamma Ray, Helloween, Overkill, Sonata Arctica for me as well, just to name a few.

Hmmm...I'm such an Urban Breed fanboy, I've never given the pre-Urban stuff a listen. Your comment makes me want to go exploring, because your two comparisons are right up my alley! :)

Well, it does not compare stylistically with those two albums. I only mentioned it in their company because many people here know what a raging Savatage and ML fanboy I am, and so they have some context when I mention this as one of my favorite discs.

Stylistically, it's not as heavy as either album, it's much slower-paced, more melodic, and more proggy. Apples and oranges.

Stormrider should be listened to in the context of being a thrash album (which is what it is), rather than a power metal album. Iced Earth's roots are firmly planted in thrash. Although he's no Matt Barlow, Greely is one of my favorite thrash vocalists, and Night of the Stormrider is actually another of my favorite metal albums (in the top ten, not necessarily in the top three). The original versions of the songs blow away the re-recordings with Barlow on Days of Purgatory.

Both Zod and Venom have hit the nail on the head! I'll add that Tad Morose is and probably always will be a main highlight of my ProgPower memories. Quite frankly one of the best performances I've ever seen!

I'll always associate "Anubis" with ProgPower USA because Glenn used it as the backing music for one of the early promo vids for the fest...so that song, particularly the intro, always say "PPUSA!" to me when I hear it.
--Which is not a Bad Thing. :)

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I checked out some of the pre-Urban stuff and I think I prefer the Urban style albums more and will be looking to picking those up at PP this year if I make it that long, lol.

And if you like Urban's vox, check out the band BLOODBOUND. Nosferatu (2005) and Tabula Rasa (2009) features his great vocals and are very good power metal discs. Book Of The Dead (2007) is also good, but has another singer, Michael Bormann.

I'll definitely be checking Bloodbound out as well. Interesting about Michael Bormann - I love his vocals from Jaded Heart as was sad when he left that band. Should be interesting to hear him in Bloodbound.

Okay, so I'll be honest I had never heard of anything from this band. I've heard them briefly talked about on other threads but nothing to the point of making me curious. I finally listened to about 4 or 5 songs on their myspace, and I'd have to say to me they just sound like another power metal band. Are those tracks up on their myspace from their last three? If so, then I'll agree with Claus on this.

they may be just "another" power metal band, but in context of these key albums people are discussing being released between 2000-2003. when put up against other bands of that era Tad Morose were far superior than most all.

while i don't agree with claus that the new stuff is not as good, the earlier albums are awesome in their own right, but from a slightly different band i would say.

Tad Morose were just a solid band through and through.

Me too. I miss that vibe they had. Is there more Bloodbound coming out?

Not with Urban on vocals. He's been informed he is out of the band. Apparently, they already found a new singer. Class act, those guys.

Btw, to address the original post, the last 3 albums (Undead to MV) are pretty good. They each have 1-2 songs I don't particularly like, but overall, are solid albums. The first albums, while more "progressive" lack cohesive songwriting in my opinion--they tend to wander and meander. I tend to be more of a prog than power metal fan, FWIW. I totally agree with whoever said to work backward.

Ronny Hemlin is the new singer of TM--no releases yet, but I saw him sing with them (along with Krille on one song) back in February, and he sounded pretty good. Fun show--every former member of Tad Morose was there, with only one exception. :)

I'll always associate "Anubis" with ProgPower USA because Glenn used it as the backing music for one of the early promo vids for the fest...so that song, particularly the intro, always say "PPUSA!" to me when I hear it.
--Which is not a Bad Thing. :)

Best song Urban and Daniel have ever written IMO.

When TM did it back in February, I happened to be standing near Daniel and asked him why he couldn't write riffs like that... goofy, I know, but I thought it was hysterical at the time. Bless my heart. :lol:

I have to agree with Zod here. I cant really think of any metal bands other than Metallica, Metal Church, Vanden Plas and Accept that put together back to back to back releases of the quality of Undead, MotD, and MV in my ears. As booB pointed out though, the contrasts in style of the eras can certainly cause some serious bias toward one or the other.

Bryant

I have to agree with Zod here. I cant really think of any metal bands other than Metallica, Metal Church, Vanden Plas and Accept that put together back to back to back releases of the quality of Undead, MotD, and MV in my ears. Bryant

Um, did you forget this set of albums?:
  • Hall of the Mountain King
  • Gutter Ballet
  • Streets
  • Edge of Thorns
Sure, I'm biased, but that string was followed by a decent Handfull of Rain, then another two great ones with Dead Winter Dead and Wake of Magellan. That's why Savatage remains my favorite band overall, even after so much time has passed since they (as a unit) have done anything at all. I like all of the derivatives, (JOP, CIIC, even TSO), but none have been able to quite recapture that blend that made Savatage what they were.

Back on the thread topic: I got onto the Tad Morose bandwagon a little late, as PP was my into to the band. However, I have to agree that those three albums being discussed are top quality. Urban's vocals lend the band that extra power that puts them over the top. At the same time, they mastered the ability to be heavy without always resorted to pure speed. I put Angel Dust in that same category.

Not with Urban on vocals. He's been informed he is out of the band. Apparently, they already found a new singer.

Damn. I liked Tabula Rasa and thought the band was really hitting their stride. I thought their second, non-Breed vocals, album, was just okay. Urban really brought this band out of obscurity (for me, anyway).

Waiting on Pyramaze . . .

Steve in Philly

• Gutter Ballet
  • Streets
  • Edge of Thorns
For me, Hall of the Mountain King and Edge of Thorns are 10/10 discs. However, in my mind, Gutter Ballet and Streets are 7/10 discs. I know you and Brian will vehemently disagree, but those discs just never did it for me.

• Gutter Ballet
  • Streets
  • Edge of Thorns
Sure, I'm biased, but that string was followed by a decent Handfull of Rain, then another two great ones with Dead Winter Dead and Wake of Magellan. That's why Savatage remains my favorite band overall, even after so much time has passed since they (as a unit) have done anything at all. I like all of the derivatives, (JOP, CIIC, even TSO), but none have been able to quite recapture that blend that made Savatage what they were.

Steve in Philly

Preach on brother! :)

[/LIST]For me, Hall of the Mountain King and Edge of Thorns are 10/10 discs. However, in my mind, Gutter Ballet and Streets are 7/10 discs. I know you and Brian will vehemently disagree, but those discs just never did it for me.

Just for the record, I do disagree. :)

~Brian~